Court orders Japanese company to shut down reactor

TOKYO - A court issued an unprecedented order Wednesday for a nuclear reactor in western Japan to stop operating and ordered a second one to stay offline.

See Full Article

The Otsu District Court that issued the injunction said the emergency response plans and equipment designs at the two reactors have not been sufficiently upgraded after the 2011 Fukushima nuclear disaster.

Wednesday's order requires Kansai Electric Power Co. to shut down the No. 3 reactor immediately and keep the No. 4 offline at the Takahama plant in Fukui prefecture, home to about a dozen reactors.

The two reactors restarted this year after a high court in December reversed an earlier injunction by another court. The No. 3 reactor, which uses a riskier plutonium-based MOX fuel, resumed operation in late January, while the No. 4 reactor had to be shut down late last month after operating just three days because of a series of technical problems.

The decision reflects Japan's divisive views on nuclear safety and leaves only two of the country's 43 reactors in operation.

Judge Yoshihiko Yamamoto said the operator has not fully explained how exactly it upgraded safety features at the two Takahama reactors under the post-Fukushima safety standards. The utility has not fully explained its design philosophy or its measures to mitigate power loss and its evacuation plans in case of a severe accident and a massive tsunami.

Kansai Electric said the decision was "disappointing" and planned to appeal.

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's government wants to restart as many reactors as possible. It says nuclear energy should remain a key power source for Japan, which has few natural resources to fuel its economy.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Efforts to stop anonymous sources clash with U.S. 1st Amendment

    World News CTV News
    President Donald Trump railed against the news media Friday, saying reporters shouldn't be allowed to use anonymous sources. He said he's been a target of unrelenting criticism by unnamed people, and he predicted that negative stories would "dry up like you've never seen before" if anonymous sources were jettisoned. Source
  • Thousands of northern B.C. patients' X-rays, CT scans and ultrasounds may have been misread

    Canada News CBC News
    Thousands of patients in northwestern B.C. are being told their X-ray, CT scan and ultrasound results may have been improperly analysed. The images were taken at Terrace's Mills Memorial Hospital between October, 2016 and January, 2017. Source
  • Quebec broadens inquiry into Montreal police force

    Canada News CTV News
    MONTREAL -- The Quebec government is broadening its investigation into allegations of corruption and wrongdoing within the Montreal police force. Public Security Minister Martin Coiteux says municipal forces from Quebec City, Longueuil and Gatineau will help provincial police because the number of allegations has risen in recent days. Source
  • U.S. to stop using 'ISIL' in favour of 'ISIS'

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- The change of U.S. administrations has produced a change of terminology in the war against the Islamic State group. Out goes the name preferred by the Obama administration: the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, or ISIL. Source
  • Authorities say fire was intentionally set at Florida mosque

    World News CTV News
    TAMPA, Fla. -- An intentionally set fire damaged a prayer hall at a Tampa-area mosque early Friday, investigators said. The arson occurred at the Islamic Society of New Tampa, Hillsborough County Fire Rescue said in a news release. Source
  • Alexandru Radita's parents guilty of first-degree murder in 15-year-old son's death

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    Rodica and Emil Radita intentionally killed their teenage son by withholding critical life-saving medical attention, a judge ruled Friday. Justice Karen Horner said both parents were guilty of first-degree murder in the death of 15-year-old Alexandru. Source
  • Winter Stations bring art and wonder to Toronto's Beach waterfront

    Canada News CBC News
    A design contest open to artists, designers, architects and landscape architects has transformed the winter waterfront of Toronto's Beach area. Here's a look at the winning entries, all constructed around lifeguard stands, seen on a morning when dense fog rolled in from Lake Ontario. Source
  • Charlie Angus registers with Elections Canada as NDP leadership candidate

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    Local MP Charlie Angus has officially registered as a candidate in the race for the NDP leader, making him the second person to officially do so after fellow MP Peter Julian. Elections Canada updated their list of registered candidates in the NDP leadership this week, to show that Angus submitted his paperwork on Feb. Source
  • 'Like Monty Python': N.B. drug conviction set aside after English woman tried in French

    Canada News CTV News
    FREDERICTON -- A New Brunswick court has set aside a woman's drug trafficking conviction after her trial was mistakenly conducted in French for no apparent reason. "I hate to say it, but it sounds like a Monty Python movie," said John McEvoy, a law professor at the University of New Brunswick. Source
  • Accused beauty queen killer not on cops’ ‘radar’

    World News Toronto Sun
    Ryan Alexander Duke looked shocked and haggard. Charged with first-degree murder in the cold-case slaying of beauty queen-turned-teacher Tara Grinstead, Duke’s arrest ended a long odyssey for her friends, family - and detectives. In court, he looked exhausted and disheveled. Source