Ukrainian protesters demand that Russia release Savchenko

KYIV, Ukraine -- A few hundred people marched to the Russian Embassy in Kyiv on Tuesday to demand that Russia free Ukrainian pilot Nadezhda Savchenko, whose cause also was taken up by the U.S.

See Full Article

vice-president and supporters elsewhere.

Even in Moscow, a few dozen people rallied in support of Savchenko, but police broke up the demonstration and detained about 30 protesters, the Interfax news agency reported.

Savchenko was captured in June 2014 while fighting with a Ukrainian volunteer battalion against Russia-backed rebels in eastern Ukraine. She is now on trial in southern Russia, accused of acting as a spotter who called in co-ordinates for a mortar attack that killed two Russian journalists and several other civilians.

The Ukrainian government says she was abducted and should be treated as a prisoner of war.

Savchenko has been on a hunger strike since Thursday, when the judge adjourned her trial without allowing her to give her final statement. The trial is expected to resume Wednesday, with a verdict possible this week.

"During the past 20 months, she has become a symbol of Ukrainian national pride and strength," U.S. Vice-President Joe Biden said in a statement.

Biden said Savchenko has been "unjustly imprisoned" and the U.S. is calling on Russia "to make the right choice -- to drop all charges and release her at once."

Czech Deputy Prime Minister Pavel Belobradek said human rights and international law are violated in Savchenko's case and that he would approach Russian President Vladimir Putin with a letter about it.

The demonstrators who marched to the Russian Embassy carried small signs that read "Free Savchenko" and were decorated with flowers in honour of Women's Day, a public holiday in Ukraine and Russia.

Among those taking part were members of Ukraine's parliament and Maria Varfolomeeva, a journalist who was released last week after spending more than a year held by rebels in eastern Ukraine.

The demonstration was calm, in contrast to a protest outside the embassy on Sunday when some of the participants had pelted the building with eggs and thrown rocks through a window.

Karel Janicek in Prague contributed to this report



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Former CIA head to answer questions about Russian meddling

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- Former CIA Director John Brennan is set to testify publicly about the intelligence underpinning the Obama administration's conclusion that Russia interfered in the 2016 election and could shed light on concerns about the security risk posed by U.S. Source
  • Manchester death toll rises after suicide bomber at Ariana Grande concert kills 22 [Photos]

    World News Toronto Sun
    MANCHESTER, England — An apparent suicide bomber attacked an Ariana Grande concert as it ended Monday night, killing 22 people among a panicked crowd of young concertgoers, some still wearing the star’s trademark kitten ears and holding pink balloons as they fled. Source
  • Donald Trump: ‘Evil losers’ carried out deadly terrorist attack on Manchester concert goers [Photos]

    World News Toronto Sun
    BETHLEHEM - President Donald Trump on Tuesday condemned the “evil losers” responsible for a deadly attack on concert-goers in England and called on leaders in the Middle East in particular to help root out violence. “The terrorists and extremists and those who give them aid and comfort must be driven out from our society forever,” Trump said in Bethlehem alongside Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas. Source
  • British PM Theresa May calls Manchester concert bombing an act of 'appalling, sickening cowardice' [Photos]

    World News Toronto Sun
    LONDON — British Prime Minister Theresa May says the attack on a concert venue in Manchester Monday night “stands out for its appalling, sickening cowardice” Authorities say 22 people were killed and almost 60 wounded when an explosion went off at the end of a concert by American pop star Ariana Grande in the northern England city. Source
  • 'Choose your Quebec' campaign signs reinstalled in Montreal

    Canada News CTV News
    A controversial campaign poster put up by a candidate in the upcoming Montreal byelection has been reinstalled after some said it promotes racism. The sign, which was hung outside the Jean-Talon and Beaubien Metro stations, shows two images of the same woman wearing a toque with a Quebec flag in one, and wearing a Muslim niqab in the other. Source
  • Iconic Honest Ed's sign coming down starting Tuesday

    Canada News CTV News
    One of Toronto’s most recognizable signs will soon be no more. On Tuesday, work crews will begin to remove the flashy Honest Ed’s sign in downtown Toronto. The 23,000-bulb sign has welcomed discount bargain hunters to the intersection of Bathurst and Bloor Streets for decades. Source
  • 'Evil losers': Trump condemns Manchester attack

    World News CTV News
    BETHLEHEM, Palestinian Territory -- U.S. President Donald Trump on Tuesday condemned a deadly attack at a pop concert in Manchester, England as the act of "evil losers" and called on nations to band together to fight terrorism. Source
  • Manchester death toll rises after suicide bomber at Ariana Grande concert kills 22 [Photos] [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    MANCHESTER, England — An apparent suicide bomber attacked an Ariana Grande concert as it ended Monday night, killing 22 people among a panicked crowd of young concertgoers, some still wearing the star’s trademark kitten ears and holding pink balloons as they fled. Source
  • Donald Trump: ‘Evil losers’ carried out deadly terrorist attack on Manchester concert goers

    World News Toronto Sun
    BETHLEHEM - President Donald Trump on Tuesday condemned the “evil losers” responsible for a deadly attack on concert-goers in England and called on leaders in the Middle East in particular to help root out violence. “The terrorists and extremists and those who give them aid and comfort must be driven out from our society forever,” Trump said in Bethlehem alongside Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas. Source
  • Online 'sextortion' cases involving teen boys spiking: experts

    Canada News CTV News
    Child exploitation experts say they've detected a spike in reports of online "sextortion" cases involving teen boys.Scroll down or click here to vote in our poll of the day The Canadian Centre for Child Protection says 65 boys reported incidents to Cybertip.ca in 2015-16 - an 89 per cent increase from the previous two-year period of 2013-2014. Source