South Korea announces unilateral sanctions on North Korea

SEOUL, Korea, Republic Of - South Korea said Tuesday it will sanction 40 individuals and 30 organizations abroad, mostly in North Korea, as part of its unilateral punitive measures on the North for its recent nuclear test and rocket launch.

See Full Article

The announcement came a day after North Korea warned of pre-emptive nuclear strikes in response to the start of Seoul-Washington military drills it views as an invasion rehearsal. This year's annual drills are the largest ever.

The South Korean government said in a statement that the sanctions target 38 individuals and 24 organizations in North Korea, and two individuals with nationalities of third countries and six organizations in other countries.

The statement said South Koreans will be barred from engaging in financial dealings with those blacklisted people and organizations, whose asserts in South Korea will be frozen.

South Korea also said it will ban the entrance of any ship which has also stopped at a North Korean port in the previous 180 days. Currently only North Korean ships are banned.

It's unclear how much the South Korean steps will sting in North Korea, which has already had rounds of international sanctions imposed on it for its pursuit of weapons of mass destruction. The U.N. Security Council last week adopted its toughest sanctions on North Korea in two decades.

But Seoul's announcement underscores a continuation of its hard-line policy on the North. South Korea already shut down the operation of a jointly run factory park in North Korea, the last major co-operation project between the rivals, in the wake of the ongoing tension.

Earlier Tuesday, Seoul's spy agency accused North Korea of having hacked into the smartphones of dozens of key South Korean officials, stealing text and voice messages and their phone call logs.

The National Intelligence Service said in a statement that the cyberattacks were made between late February and early March. It didn't say which officials' phones were hacked or whether the stolen text and voice messages contained any sensitive information.

The statement said North Korea also unsuccessfully tried to hack into email accounts of South Korean railway officials earlier this year in a preparation for cyberattack on the South's railway transport control system.

There was no immediate reaction from North Korea. Seoul has accused Pyongyang of launching a slew of cyberattacks in recent years. Pyongyang has denied the claims.


Latest Canada & World News

  • Regulating body for Ontario engineers investigates Nipigon River Bridge failure

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO - The regulating body for professional engineers in Ontario is investigating the possibility of incompetence in the failure of the Nipigon River bridge last January, which severed a critical link on the Trans-Canada Highway. Source
  • Canadian youth more likely 'to live independently' than Italian, American counterparts

    Canada News CTV News
    A new social indicators report has shown that more Canadian youth are likely to leave home and live independently in comparison with their European and American counterparts. In a report recently released by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, data showed that approximately 31 per cent of Canadians between the ages of 15-29 live with their parents. Source
  • Anti-terror police arrest man over London subway alert

    World News CTV News
    LONDON -- British police say they have arrested a 19-year-old man on suspicion of a terrorism offence over a suspicious package discovered on a London subway train. The Metropolitan Police force says officers used a stun gun while detaining the man Friday on a busy city street. Source
  • Monsef visit to Iran raises questions

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    Liberal MP Maryam Monsef tried to move back to Afghanistan in 2014. Instead she visited Iran where she was encouraged to run for office here in Canada. This is according to a French-language profile in Le Devoir written well before it was revealed Monsef was born in Iran, not Afghanistan as she claims she’s always believed. Source
  • May tries to reassure EU as U.K. seeks trade pacts alone

    World News CTV News
    BRUSSELS -- Prime Minister Theresa May signalled Friday that Britain is paving the way for trade talks with other countries well before it leaves the European Union but sought to reassure partners that this would not undermine the bloc's trade aims. Source
  • Meet the new Anne of Green Gables: CBC series finds its star in Irish-Canadian actress

    Canada News CBC News
    For 14-year-old Amybeth McNulty, it's the role of a lifetime. She beat more than 1,800 girls from Canada and abroad to land the starring turn as Anne in the new CBC adaptation of Anne of Green Gables. Source
  • Family violence increases risk for many conditions, Dr. Gregory Taylor tells Canadians

    Canada News CBC News
    More than 230 Canadians a day are victims of family violence that are reported to police, Canada's chief public health officer says in releasing a new report on a seldom discussed issue. Dr. Gregory Taylor's 2016 report on the state of public health focuses on family violence, including sexual, emotional, and financial abuse, as well as neglect. Source
  • Ex-top diplomat: Duterte's China shift a 'national tragedy'

    World News CTV News
    MANILA, Philippines -- A former top Filipino diplomat, who brought the triumphant arbitration case against China over territorial disputes, said Friday the Philippine president's declaration to pivot away from Washington to Beijing should be regarded "a national tragedy. Source
  • 'I will see him again in heaven': Hopes dim for Haiti's missing hurricane victims

    World News CBC News
    Nobody has seen or heard from Edma Desravine, a 71-year-old grandfather known for his sly sense of humour and bad luck at cock fights, in the roughly 2 1/2 weeks since Hurricane Matthew sent floodwaters and debris crashing into his riverside shantytown. Source
  • New Brunswick city grapples with bylaw restricting trick-or-treaters

    Canada News CTV News
    BATHURST, N.B. -- Older teens hoping to take to the streets of a northern New Brunswick community on Halloween may find an unusual bylaw standing in the way of their sugary pursuits. The City of Bathurst has a long-standing, but little-known rule on the books that forbids trick-or-treating or wearing a face covering after 7 p.m. Source