Pope was misinformed during visit, Mexican archdiocese claims

MEXICO CITY - Mexico's main archdiocese has taken the unusual step of publicly saying Pope Francis had been badly advised when he directed harsh words to local bishops during his visit in mid-February.

See Full Article

The pope told a gathering of local bishops in February not to be career-minded clerics, saying, "We do not need 'princes,' but rather a community of the Lord's witnesses."

The pope also urged them to maintain unity and show more transparency. "If you have to fight, fight. If you have to say things, say them, but do it like men: to the face," Francis told the bishops.

An editorial published Sunday on a website of the archdiocese of Mexico City also said that some of the pope's comments had been misinterpreted by "reporters more focused on histrionics than the deep meaning of the words."

"The Mexican bishops have been accompanying the suffering, downtrodden people, devoting their lives to others and not living like 'princes,"' the editorial said.

It denies local bishops are out of touch with the people, and says the pope's comments "might be due to someone near him who gave him bad advice."

The editorial ends with the question: "Who gave the pope bad advice?"

The rector of the Pontifical University of Mexico, Mario Angel Flores, said the editorial appeared ill-advised, given that the pope's comments "were very frank words, inviting everyone to be more clear."

"They are trying to downplay and question his words, which is not the most correct thing to do," Flores said.

Apart from his speech to the bishops, even Francis' prayers to the Virgin of Guadalupe reflected his concern that the Mexican church needs to get its priorities straight.

During his half-hour of silent prayer, Francis later told reporters, "I prayed for the Mexican people, and one thing I prayed for a lot was that priests be true priests, and sisters be true sisters and bishops be true bishops as the Lord wants."



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Melania Trump to donate inaugural ball gown to Smithsonian

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- Melania Trump is donating her inaugural ball gown to the First Ladies' Collection at the Smithsonian Institution. The first lady is handing over the vanilla silk, off-the-shoulder gown during a ceremony Friday in Washington. Source
  • Alleged Amanda Lindhout kidnapper tries to explain inconsistencies, despite taped evidence

    Canada News CBC News
    In the last day of testimony in the Amanda Lindhout kidnapping trial, the Crown poked holes in the story of the alleged negotiator who handled many of the details of the ransom payment that led to the Canadian journalist's release. Source
  • Man dead after 3-year-old boy given gun, told to chase victim: police

    World News CTV News
    WARRENVILLE, S.C. -- Authorities say they have charged a man with murder after he gave a 3-year-old boy a gun and told him to chase the victim around the yard of a South Carolina home. Source
  • $500,000 in collectible coins and banknotes stolen from man's car

    Canada News CTV News
    MISSISSAUGA, Ont. - Police in Ontario are looking for a suspect in the theft of about $500,000 in rare coins and banknotes. Investigators say a 68-year-old British Columbia man parked at a Mississauga, Ont. Source
  • Pakistan arrests cleric tied to social media model honour killing

    World News Toronto Sun
    MULTAN, Pakistan — Pakistani police say they have arrested a Muslim cleric for alleged involvement in the 2016 murder of social media model Qandeel Baloch. She was found strangled in her home in the city of Multan after posting racy pictures on Facebook of herself with the cleric, Mufti Abdul Qawi. Source
  • Suicidal motorist who injured woman gets sentence cut in half

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- A man who badly injured a woman when he tried to kill himself by driving his car into a hydro pole has had his jail sentence effectively cut in half. In finding the sentencing judge had gone too far, Ontario's top court ruled on Wednesday that Constantinus Dedeckere should be released after having spent one year behind bars. Source
  • Two people injured fighting Saskatchewan wildfire; one dead in car crash

    Canada News CTV News
    RCMP say two men were injured fighting a wildfire in southwestern Saskatchewan and another person is dead following a single-vehicle collision in the area. Insp. Ted Munro says Leader RCMP are investigating the crash and adds it's not known whether smoke was a factor. Source
  • 2nd trial in Candace Derksen's death ends in not guilty verdict

    Canada News CTV News
    WINNIPEG -- A man tried for a second time in the killing of Winnipeg teenager Candace Derksen more than 30 years ago has been found not guilty. Mark Edward Grant was charged with second-degree murder in the death of the 13-year-old girl, who disappeared on her way home from school in November 1984. Source
  • Prosecution: Accused Lindhout kidnapper is lying to court about his role

    Canada News CTV News
    OTTAWA -- A federal prosecutor says a Somalian man is lying about his role in the kidnapping of Amanda Lindhout. Prosecutor Croft Michaelson contended Wednesday that Ali Omar Ader made up a story about being forced to work for the hostage-takers as a negotiator and translator, saying Ader was actually paid US$10,000 as a willing participant. Source
  • Officials confirm that ammonia leak killed 3 at arena in Fernie, B.C.

    Canada News CBC News
    Firefighters have confirmed that an ammonia leak was responsible for the deaths of three people at an arena in Fernie, B.C., on Tuesday. Mary Giuliano, the mayor of the small mountain community, told reporters at a news conference Wednesday that two of the dead were city employees, but they will not be identified at the request of their families. Source