Philippine rebel warns Islamic State may gain from autonomy delay

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia — The head of a Philippine Muslim rebel group warned Monday that the Islamic State group could gain from frustrations in the country's south following the failure of the Philippine Congress to pass an autonomy bill as part of a peace agreement.

See Full Article

Murad Ebrahim, chair of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front, said the militant IS group has attempted over the past year to recruit supporters in Mindanao but his group has worked to convince them that the peace pact signed with the government in 2014 was the best solution.

But he said the delay in enactment of the bill that aims to establish a more powerful and better-funded autonomous region for minority Muslims has led to frustrations that could be capitalized by the IS and other small hard-line rebel groups.

Malaysia is a facilitator in the peace talks, and Murad spoke while passing through Kuala Lumpur.

"There have been some efforts of penetration (by IS) but they have not succeeded in establishing a stronghold in Mindanao," he said during a news conference. "But now after the non-passage of the (bill), we are quite concerned that they can capitalize on this because the (frustration) of the people in the area is now very strong."

The 11,000-strong Moro Islamic Liberalization Front dropped its secessionist bid and settled for broader autonomy for minority Muslims in the south of the largely Roman Catholic nation in a Malaysian-brokered pact it signed with Manila in 2014. The conflict has left 150,000 people dead and stunted development in the country's poorest region.

Under the deal, a bill was submitted to Congress to create the autonomous region to be called Bangsamoro. The bill's early passage was stalled by anger over the killing last year of 44 police commandos in fighting that involved some fighters from the Moro group.

Lawmakers ended the last regular session of their term last month without passing the bill.

Murad said his group will not completely abandon its arm struggle but will not revert to violence as long as the peace process has a chance to move forward. He said he is hopeful that the new president, to be elected later this year, will support and continue the efforts for peace.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • After saga, Trump admits there's no recordings of Comey talks

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON – U.S. President Donald Trump has declared that he never made and doesn't have recordings of his private conversations with ousted former FBI Director James Comey. His admission Thursday ended a month-long guessing game that he started with a cryptic tweet and that ensnared his administration in another controversy. Source
  • War in Afghanistan will only end when NATO leaves, Taliban leader says

    World News CTV News
    KABUL - The leader of the Afghan Taliban said on Friday that a planned U.S. troop surge will not end the protracted war in the country and vowed to fight on until a full withdrawal of NATO troops from Afghanistan. Source
  • Car bomb in southwest Pakistan leaves at least 11 dead

    World News CBC News
    A powerful car bombing near the office of the provincial police chief in southwestern Pakistan on Friday killed 11 people and wounded 20, officials said. The explosion near the police chief's office in Quetta, the capital of Baluchistan province, was powerful enough that it was heard across the city, shattering windows of nearby buildings, said police spokesman Shahzada Farhat. Source
  • Severed toe used in famous Yukon cocktail returned with an apology

    Canada News CTV News
    DAWSON CITY, Yukon - A mummified human toe that is the key ingredient in a strange drinking ritual in Dawson City is back where it belongs. RCMP in the Yukon city say the shrivelled, brown toe that was stolen last weekend has been returned to its rightful owner. Source
  • Drink up! Human toe used in cocktail returned to Yukon bar after theft

    Canada News CBC News
    A thief who made off with a human toe that is used in an notorious cocktail served by a Dawson City bar has mailed the toe back to its owners, Yukon RCMP say. Staff at the Downtown Hotel reported the theft last Sunday, saying someone had made off with one of the bar's mummified toes. Source
  • Financier of Marawi invasion killed, Philippine officials say

    World News CTV News
    MANILA, Philippines - A Malaysian militant who helped lead and finance the siege of a southern Philippine city is believed to have been killed as the local jihadis aligned with the Islamic State group become increasingly constricted after a month of fighting, the military chief said Friday. Source
  • Friend of South Korean president handed prison sentence in corruption case

    World News CTV News
    SEOUL, Korea, Republic Of - A South Korean court on Friday sentenced a longtime friend of ousted President Park Geun-hye to three years in prison for using her presidential ties to unlawfully get her daughter into a prestigious Seoul university. Source
  • Senator Daniel Lang, who tackled terror, announces resignation

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    A Canadian Senator known for being tough on terror and working to end the gun registry announced his resignation Thursday. Senator Daniel Lang, a Conservative who represents Yukon, announced he plans to retire on Aug. 15. “It seems like yesterday when I arrived and one of my first orders of business was to sponsor in the Senate, the repeal of the long gun registry which was so detested in rural and Northern Canada,” Lang said in the Senate Thursday morning. Source
  • New Zealand paper names all drunk drivers on front page

    World News CTV News
    WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Queenstown's breathtaking scenery, adventure sports and skiing have made it a must-see destination for millions of tourists visiting New Zealand. But the resort town's vibrant nightlife has also contributed to what some describe as an epidemic of drunken driving. Source
  • Veteran LAPD officer arrested for sex with 15-year-old cadet

    World News Toronto Sun
    LOS ANGELES — Police Chief Charlie Beck on Thursday arrested a veteran Los Angeles police officer for allegedly having sex with a 15-year-old cadet who is suspected of joyriding in stolen patrol cars. The chief personally handcuffed Officer Robert Cain at the 77th Street Division. Source