Court rejects ex-gangster Whitey Bulger's bid for new trial

BOSTON -- Former mobster James "Whitey" Bulger, convicted of participating in 11 murders during the 1970s and '80s, will not get a new trial, a federal appeals court ruled on Friday.

See Full Article

A three-judge panel of the 1st U.S. Circuit of Appeals found that Bulger had not shown his right to a fair trial was violated when a judge barred him from testifying about his claim that he received immunity for his crimes.

"For the reasons spelled out above, Bulger got a fair trial and none of the complained-of conduct on the court or government's part warrant reversal of his conviction," the appellate judges concluded.

The ruling likely isn't the end of the line for Bulger, who was once one of the nation's most wanted fugitives: He has the right to appeal the panel's ruling by asking for a hearing before the full court of six judges. His lawyer Hank Brennan didn't immediately comment Friday.

Brennan argued before the court in July that Bulger's defence was eviscerated when he wasn't allowed to tell the jury that a now-deceased federal prosecutor granted him immunity to commit crimes. The trial judge said Bulger had not offered any hard evidence of such an agreement.

Prosecutors argued that Bulger was not barred from taking the witness stand in his own defence, only from testifying about his immunity claim.

The appeals panel, in its ruling, determined the trial judge was right to take up the immunity issue pretrial, saying its research has found that resolving such claims before trial is "more the norm than the exception."

Bulger, who's now 86, fled Boston in 1994 following a tip from an FBI agent that he was about to be indicted, and he was on the run for more than a decade. He was finally captured with his longtime girlfriend in Santa Monica, California, in 2011. The girlfriend, Catherine Greig, who's in her mid-60s, pleaded guilty to charges related to helping Bulger elude authorities and was sentenced to eight years in prison.

During Bulger's 2013 trial, he disputed the government's contention that he was a longtime FBI informant who gave the agency information on the New England Mafia, his gang's main rival.

Bulger said that former Assistant U.S. Attorney Jeremiah O'Sullivan, who died in 2009, had given him immunity during the 1980s in return for protecting his life from the mobsters he prosecuted. The judge found that O'Sullivan did not have the authority to grant such immunity.

Bulger, after deciding not to testify in his own defence, cited the judge's ruling and called his trial a "sham."

"And my thing is, as far as I'm concerned, I didn't get a fair trial, and this is a sham," he said in court.

Brennan argued that if Bulger had been allowed to testify about his immunity claim, the jury would have had a chance to weigh his credibility against the credibility of prosecution witnesses.

------

Associated Press reporter Philip Marcelo contributed to this report.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Program to study ways to help soldiers transition back to civilian life

    Canada News CTV News
    FREDERICTON -- A Canada-wide research study is being launched with the aim of helping members of the Canadian Armed Forces and veterans transition to civilian life. The study, based around a New Brunswick-based program called Shaping Purpose, will examine the experiences of 84 Forces members and veterans. Source
  • Pope Francis to celebrate Mass in Cairo on 2nd day of trip

    World News CTV News
    CAIRO - Pope Francis will celebrate Mass for Egypt's tiny Catholic community and meet with its priests and seminarians before returning to Rome. Local media reports say at least 25,000 are expected at Saturday's Mass in Cairo, which comes on the second day of Francis' two-day trip to the Arab world's most populous country Source
  • No winning ticket for Friday night's $13 million Lotto Max jackpot

    Canada News CTV News
    Winning tickets for the Lotto Max draw on Friday, Feb. 10, 2017 were sold in Sarnia and Chatham. Source
  • After delay derails murder trial, mother asks: 'Where are the politicians?'

    Canada News CTV News
    The parents of a man whose accused murderer was set free due to an unreasonable trial delay are asking why it’s taking politicians so long to address the problem. Amine and Nicole Nayel’s son Fouad Nayel, 28, was killed five years ago. Source
  • Filipino troops kill commander of group that kidnapped, beheaded Canadians

    World News CBC News
    The Philippine military chief says marines have killed an Abu Sayyaf extremist commander considered to be one of the most notorious kidnappers in the country's south.Robert Hall, Canadian hostage, killed by Abu Sayyaf militants in PhilippinesCBC IN MANILA | Few signs of Canadian investigation into Abu Sayyaf beheadings in PhilippinesMilitary chief Gen. Source
  • Filipino troops kill notorious Abu Sayyaf kidnapper in clash

    World News CTV News
    MANILA, Philippines - The Philippine military chief says marines have killed an Abu Sayyaf extremist commander considered to be one of the most notorious kidnappers in the country's south. Military chief Gen. Eduardo Ano tells The Associated Press that Alhabsy Misaya was slain in a clash with marines late Friday in the jungles between the towns of Indanan and Parang in Sulu province. Source
  • Donald Trump: North Korea 'disrespected' China with missile test [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON - President Donald Trump said Friday that North Korea had “disrespected” China by attempting to launch another ballistic missile. Trump has said he is counting on Chinese President Xi Jinping to encourage North Korea to give up its pursuit of ballistic missile and nuclear weapons programs. Source
  • Some U.S. lawmakers want parents charged in genital cutting cases

    World News CTV News
    ST. PAUL, Minn. -- Lawmakers in Minnesota and Texas are pushing to crack down on parents involved with genital cutting after an indictment against a Detroit-area doctor accused of performing the procedure on two young Minnesota girls highlighted the little-known practice. Source
  • Three men sentenced for stealing $18 million worth of maple syrup in Quebec

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    MONTREAL - Three men convicted in connection with the theft of $18 million worth of maple syrup in Quebec were sentenced on Friday to between two and eight years. Superior Court Justice Raymond Pronovost sentenced Richard Vallieres to eight years in prison, confiscated $606,500 from him and fined him another $9.4 million. Source
  • Donald Trump to NRA: 'Eight-year assault on your Second Amendment freedoms has come to a crashing end' [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    ATLANTA - President Donald Trump reaffirmed his support for gun rights Friday, telling attendees of a National Rifle Association convention that “the eight-year assault on your Second Amendment freedoms has come to a crashing end.” Trump, the first sitting president to address the group’s annual convention in more than 30 years, assured the audience that he would defend their right to bear arms in a campaign-like speech reminiscent of his election rallies. Source