Pepper-spray trap used in $4.8M gold truck heist: FBI

MIAMI -- The FBI has revealed how thieves made off with gold bars worth $4.8 million in a truck robbery on Interstate 95 last year, and it reads like a heist fit for Hollywood.

See Full Article

Agents say the armed robbers painstakingly prepared for the job, using high-tech gizmos including a GPS tracker and a remote-controlled pepper-spray launcher to subdue the drivers.

Agents identified the alleged ringleader as Adalberto Perez, 46. He was arrested this week at his home in the Miami suburb of Opa-Locka, Florida, almost exactly a year after the March 2015 robbery in Wilson County, North Carolina. Two accomplices remain at large.

It appears the case was cracked when a friend of Perez came forward just a few months ago. According to an FBI affidavit unsealed in federal court this week, the friend said Perez spent about a year preparing for the heist.

The target: a routine shipment of gold bars aboard a tractor-trailer sent by Miami-based Republic Metals to a processing plant in Bridgewater, Massachusetts, that serves jewelry makers in the Boston area.

The FBI says that friend -- now a confidential informant -- said Perez bought a GPS tracking device online and had it mailed to the friend's address, without telling him what was in the package.

The affidavit doesn't say how Perez was able to gain access to the truck, if he had any relationship with the TransValue shipping company, or if the plot involved still more accomplices.

But the friend said "Perez said he placed this technology under the TransValue trailer in order to track its location," and that Perez also rigged a pepper-spray device inside the cab, the affidavit says.

TransValue chief executive officer Jay Rodriguez has said the truck left Miami about 4 a.m. that Sunday. The tractor-trailer appeared much like any other travelling up the East Coast. The drivers apparently had no idea they were being tracked by three armed robbers following them in a white van.

Shortly after dusk along a lonely stretch of I-95 in North Carolina, the truck's cab suddenly filled with pepper spray, launched by remote control, forcing its sickened drivers to pull over. The white van stopped on the highway shoulder as well.

At first claiming in Spanish that they were police officers, the men bound their hands with plastic ties and marched them into the woods. Then they put out orange traffic cones to make the stopped truck appear innocuous, and wore reflective clothing to appear as though they belonged on the roadside, too, according to the affidavit.

The thieves then cut off trailer's locks, quickly unloaded 275 pounds of gold and about 40 silver coins into the van, and sped off, leaving numerous drums of silver behind.

By the time the two drivers came out of the woods and flagged down passing motorists, the thieves were long gone.

After the robbery, the FBI informant said, Perez showed him one of the 26-pound gold bars at his home. He said he watched as Perez chipped away pieces to sell bit by bit, and used his cellphone to take photos of this gold and the tools Perez used.

The informant, identified as "CS" for confidential source, gave the images to the FBI; in one, the gold bar shows a distinctive Republic Metals stamp.

"Perez told CS he sold all of the gold he kept from the robbery," and used the money to buy three homes, three Nissan vehicles and a boat. He also had some gold fashioned into jewelry, some of it featuring religious icons, according to the FBI.

The informant said Perez gave him a gold bracelet, the FBI said.

After the friend came forward, investigators were able to use cellphone tower records to show that a phone linked to Perez travelled north through Florida along the same I-95 route as the truck that day. The FBI affidavit says the phone's last known location was in Dillon, South Carolina, where the truck refuelled . The robbery took place an hour or so later.

Perez remained in jail without bail Friday on federal robbery and firearms charges, pending a Tuesday hearing.

"The complaint was quite an interesting read, but they are merely allegations," said his attorney, Frank Graviria, in an email. "We intend to fully investigate these serious allegations."

FBI spokesman Mike Leverock said additional suspects are being sought, and a $25,000 reward for information leading to an arrest and conviction still stands. The FBI distributed sketches of two other robbers based on information from witnesses.

Perez isn't the first man arrested in the case. Last year, Miguel Bover was sentenced to more than three years in federal prison after pleading guilty to an extortion charge, stemming from an attempt to sell one of the stolen bars. Bover, however, was not directly involved in the robbery itself, nor was the informant.

That bar is still the only one that has been recovered, but typically prosecutors will seek to seize property and assets of those involved to later sell and pay restitution to any victims.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Report: 2 women claim Franken touched them inappropriately

    World News CTV News
    MINNEAPOLIS - Two women are alleging that Minnesota Democratic U.S. Sen. Al Franken touched their buttocks during events for his first campaign for Senate. The women spoke to Huffington Post on condition of anonymity. Source
  • 12 of 14 Hurricane Irma nursing home deaths ruled homicides

    World News CBC News
    Authorities say the deaths of 12 of the 14 Florida nursing home patients who died after Hurricane Irma have been ruled homicides. The Sun Sentinel reports that autopsy results from the Broward County medical examiner's office were released Wednesday. Source
  • Daily public transit use could pose hearing loss risk: study

    Canada News CTV News
    Daily use of public transit might cause hearing loss. It’s a conclusion anyone who’s taken Toronto rail transit might reach after one ride, but researchers from the University of Toronto now have data to suggest it may be true. Source
  • Russia says expert body on Syria chemical attacks 'is dead'

    World News CTV News
    Russia's U.N. ambassador said Wednesday the expert body that has determined responsibility for chemical weapons attacks in Syria "is dead" -- but Moscow is ready to discuss "a new mechanism." Vassily Nebenzia told reporters after a closed Security Council discussion that the Joint Investigative Mechanism, or JIM, "has discredited itself completely. Source
  • B.C. man charged after cat allegedly drugged, bleached and shaved

    Canada News CTV News
    The RCMP has arrested a 20-year-old man after a disturbing incident involving an animal was posted on social media in which a cat was allegedly drugged, shaved, bleached and thrown out a window in B.C. Source
  • Witness testifies he sold Dellen Millard a gun days before Laura Babcock vanished

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- A witness at a murder trial says he sold one of the accused a gun days before a young Toronto woman vanished. Matthew Ward-Jackson says he pleaded guilty to the gun transaction with Dellen Millard that took place in early July 2012. Source
  • Sessions orders review of background check system for guns

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions on Wednesday ordered a far-ranging review of the FBI database containing information for use in background checks on prospective gun buyers. The move comes after the Air Force acknowledged that a man who killed more than two dozen people in a south Texas church this month should have had his name and domestic violence conviction submitted to the database. Source
  • 'A really important discussion': Trudeau weighs in on name of Edmonton's CFL team

    Canada News CBC News
    Edmonton needs to talk about the name of its football team, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Alberta Premier Rachel Notley both said in Ottawa on Wednesday. Trudeau was asked about the name Edmonton Eskimos at a news conference. Source
  • Asylum seekers say police have entered abandoned Australian-run detention camp in Papua New Guinea

    World News CBC News
    Papua New Guinea (PNG) police have entered an abandoned Australian-run detention camp seeking to get some 380 asylum-seekers who have barricaded themselves in there to leave, two of the men told Reuters on Thursday. One said the men felt threatened and scared and some climbed onto roofs for safety. Source
  • Former IWK CEO removed from 100 most powerful women list

    Canada News CBC News
    The former CEO of the IWK Health Centre has been removed from a list of Canada's most powerful women, an award created by the Women's Executive Network. A spokesperson for the organization that says it is dedicated to the advancement and recognition of professional women confirmed Tracy Kitch was named to the top 100 list before she became the subject of an investigation for charging personal expenses to the IWK Health Centre, a women and children's hospital in Halifax. Source