'Clean for the Queen': How Britain's garbage became a class issue

LONDON -- Litter has become a weapon of class war in Britain, where a call to "Clean for the Queen" has stirred both trash-tidying volunteers and howls of anger.

See Full Article

The campaign, backed by charity Keep Britain Tidy and corporate sponsors including McDonalds, is urging people to spruce up their communities before Queen Elizabeth II's 90th birthday, which is being marked in June. (Her actual birthday is April 21 -- two birthdays a year are a royal perk).

"What better way could we show our gratitude to Her Majesty than to clean up our country?" the campaign asks on its website.

A special litter-picking weekend kicked off Friday, with events scheduled across the country. Outside Parliament -- one of the tidiest, most-photographed spots in the country -- schoolgirls hunted valiantly for stray candy wrappers or coffee cups.

But some Britons felt insulted by the suggestion they should tidy up to honour a hereditary monarch who receives more than 35 million pounds ($50 million) a year from British taxpayers.

"I would rather swim in sewage than Clean for the Queen," ran the headline of a column by Michele Hanson in the left-leaning Guardian newspaper.

Graham Smith, chief executive of anti-monarchy group Republic, branded the campaign a "tacky PR exercise."

"I think a lot of people will literally ask, what has the Queen done for us?" he said. "Maybe she could put some of her fortune into cleaning the streets as a thank you for her years of privilege."

The U.K. has a serious litter problem. Keep Britain Tidy says more than 2 million pieces of trash are dropped on the country's streets every day.

While some blame the litterbugs, others point out that garbage collection has been cut back in many areas as local government funding was slashed by the deficit-cutting central government.

Supporters hailed the clean-up campaign as an example of the volunteering "Big Society" touted by Prime Minister David Cameron. Clean for the Queen organizers hope more than 1 million people will join in.

In the conservative Daily Mail newspaper, commentator Toby Young slammed those who "prefer to sneer at efforts to tidy up Britain, rather than roll up their sleeves and get stuck in."

"Personally, I'm delighted to have the opportunity to do something for the queen, after the devoted service she's provided to this country, and I'm sure millions of others will be, too," he wrote.


Don't waste your time swearing at me because I'll just block you & if you don't want to pick up litter that's OK with me, just don't drop it

— Kirstie Mary Allsopp (@KirstieMAllsopp) March 4, 2016


Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Trump-McConnell feud threatens Republican agenda

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- U.S. President Donald Trump can't enact his agenda without Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell. McConnell may not have a majority to lead without Trump's help. It's simple, and still so complicated. The strangest bedfellows in Washington are locked in an increasingly public and personal feud that defies conventional wisdom. Source
  • Up to 2,300 border crossers entering Quebec are under 18: minister

    Canada News CTV News
    MONTREAL -- Up to one-third of the 7,000 people who have crossed illegally into Quebec from the U.S. in the last six weeks are children, the province's immigration minister said Wednesday. Quebec's education department is considering running programs for the kids -- including teaching classes -- inside the temporary shelters set up to house refugee applicants in the Montreal area, said Kathleen Weil. Source
  • More than 90 'persons of interest' in B.C. girl's death: Police

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    BURNABY, B.C. — Police say they have identified more than 90 “persons of interest” in their homicide investigation into the death of a 13-year-old girl whose body was found in a suburban Vancouver park last month. Marrisa Shen’s body was discovered in some brush at Central Park in Burnaby on July 19 and police say they have narrowed a timeline and provided investigators with her whereabouts on the previous day. Source
  • Kelly seeks to restore White House order ahead of key fights

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- In his first month on the job, White House chief of staff John Kelly has made significant progress toward imposing discipline on a chaotic operation, even as it's clear he still struggles to have the same effect on the president himself. Source
  • More than 63,000 customers blacked out by storms in Quebec

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    MONTREAL — More than 63,000 Hydro-Quebec customers were without electricity early Wednesday after severe thunderstorms ripped through southern Quebec, Montreal and the Laurentian region north of the city. Most of the outages were in the Montreal area affecting more than 42,000 homes and businesses, with another 8,000 blackouts reported in the Laurentians and a further 7,500 in communities south of Montreal. Source
  • 1-armed man arrested with machete, clown mask calls it prank

    World News CTV News
    BIDDEFORD, Maine -- A one-armed Maine man accused of startling neighbours by going for a stroll wearing a clown mask and brandishing a machete says it was supposed to be a prank. Thirty-one-year-old Hollis resident Corey Berry pleaded not guilty Wednesday to criminal threatening and weapons charges. Source
  • Military police charge recruit with sexual assault, second case this month

    Canada News CTV News
    OTTAWA -- A military recruit has been charged with sexual assault in relation to a series of alleged incidents at a Quebec training camp last fall, the second such case in as many weeks. Military police say the most recent charges relate to the alleged assault of three people undergoing basic training at the Canadian Forces Leadership and Recruit School in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu in November. Source
  • Police identify 90 persons of interest in death of B.C. teen Marrisa Shen

    Canada News CTV News
    BURNABY, B.C. -- Police say they have identified more than 90 "persons of interest" in their homicide investigation into the death of a 13-year-old girl whose body was found in a suburban Vancouver park last month. Source
  • Woman claims stranger's ashes in father's urn, sues for $2.5M

    World News Toronto Sun
    PORTLAND, Ore. — A woman is suing an Oregon cremation company for $2.5 million, claiming it gave her the remains of a stranger instead of her deceased father. Kimberly Grecco, 53, discovered the remains were her not her father’s as she prepared to spread the ashes on Father’s Day last year, The Oregonian/OregonLive reported Tuesday. Source
  • Bans on campfires, backcountry travel lifted in B.C. as wildfire risk drops

    Canada News CTV News
    WILLIAMS LAKE, B.C. -- Restrictions on travel to British Columbia's backcountry and campfires are slowly being lifted in some parts of the province as improved conditions have lowered the wildfire risk. Campfires are once again allowed in most areas of the Prince George and northwest fire centres while officials from the BC Wildfire Service say a ban prohibiting access to the backcountry in the Cariboo region will also be rescinded by the end of the day. Source