Brazilian police target ex-president in corruption probe

RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazilian police on Friday searched the home and other buildings linked to former President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, who will be required to answer questions in the sprawling corruption case at the oil giant Petrobras.

See Full Article

Silva's spokesman, Jose Crispiniano, confirmed that police were at addresses belonging to Silva, including his residence in Sao Bernardo do Campo in the greater Sao Paulo area and the Instituto Lula, his non-profit organization. Crispiniano said Silva was speaking to investigators at the federal police station at Sao Paulo's Congonhas airport.

Brazil's O Globo news network ran images of police officials around a building they was the Sao Bernardo do Campo apartment, and the broadcaster said police were also at an address connected to one of his sons.

Crispiniano said police are acting on a warrant that requires Silva to answer questions as part of the continuing probe into corruption at Brazil's Petrobras oil giant.

In a statement on their website, the police said they are carrying out 44 judicial orders as part of the so-called Car Wash probe.

The statement did not provide the names of those targeted, but it did specify that some of the orders are taking place in the beachfront city of Guaruja, as well as the rural town of Atibaia.

Silva is suspected of having homes in both places, and investigators are probing reports they may have been remodeled by construction companies caught up in the Petrobras scandal, which has already ensnared top businessmen and heavyweight politicians from the governing Workers' Party as well as the opposition.

On Thursday, the Supreme Court allowed corruption charges in the case to be brought against Eduardo Cunha, a top opposition figure and head of the lower house.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • UN chief: Saudi coalition attacks killed children in Yemen

    World News CTV News
    Secretary-General Antonio Guterres says in a draft report that the Saudi-led coalition was responsible for more than half the children killed and injured in Yemen's civil war last year. The report, obtained Thursday by The Associated Press, said the United Nations verified 1,340 casualties and attributed 683 -- representing 51 per cent -- to attacks carried out by the coalition. Source
  • What we know so far about the terror attack in Barcelona

    World News CTV News
    What we know so far about the terror attack in Barcelona Barcelona attack: Van driver kills 13, injures 100 Source
  • Quebec's debate on religious accommodation turns to buses, subway

    Canada News CTV News
    MONTREAL -- Quebec's public transportation systems are the latest target in the ongoing debate in the province over religion and identity. Neither Montreal's transit authority nor unions representing bus and subway drivers wanted to comment Thursday on speculation that women wearing the Islamic niqab or burqa will be prevented from using public transportation. Source
  • In light and darkness, cities pay tribute to Barcelona victims

    World News CTV News
    Cities across the world used their landmarks to pay respect to those killed in a deadly van attack in one of Barcelona’s busiest districts on Thursday. In some cases, global landmarks were lit up in red and yellow, the colours of the Spanish flag. Source
  • Some New Brunswick lobster fishermen park boats in protest of low prices

    Canada News CTV News
    SHEDIAC, N.B. -- Some lobster fishermen in eastern New Brunswick tied up their boats and remained onshore Thursday in a protest over the prices they're getting for lobster. Fishermen in ports such as Pointe-Sapin and Richibucto remained at the docks, saying landings are down and prices are low. Source
  • 'You could see all the bodies lying through Las Ramblas'; At least 13 killed after van plows into pedestrians in ISIS-claimed Barcelona attack [Photos]

    World News Toronto Sun
    BARCELONA, Spain — A white van jumped the sidewalk Thursday in Barcelona’s historic Las Ramblas district, crashing into a summer crowd of residents and tourists and injuring several people, police said. In a photograph shown by public broadcaster RTVE, three people were lying on the ground in the street of the northern Spanish city Thursday afternoon, apparently being helped by police and others. Source
  • Alberta trade minister says NAFTA talks no threat to oil and gas industry

    Canada News CTV News
    CALGARY -- Alberta's minister of trade says Canada's oil and gas industry has little to worry about as wide-ranging North American trade negotiations get underway. Speaking Thursday after a conference of state governments in Tacoma, Wash. Source
  • Amid the Washington circus, there’s boring NAFTA

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    So many distractions. Confederate statues in the United States are being toppled like chess pieces in the wake of hard-left-hard-right rioting in Charlottesville, Va. This provoked a double tweet from President Donald Trump. Part 1: “Sad to see the history and culture of our great country being ripped apart with the removal of our beautiful statues and monuments. Source
  • Federal government program to match funds for East Africa garners $21.3M in donations

    Canada News CBC News
    International Development Minister Marie-Claude Bibeau says a federal program to match donations for the East African famine generated $21.3 million from Canadians. The amount is one of the smallest responses to a Canadian government matching donation program since they initiated the idea for the Indian Ocean tsunami in 2004 — and at least one aid agency thinks the distraction of the political drama in the United States might bear some of the blame. Source
  • Deal reached in landmark lawsuit over harsh CIA interrogations

    World News CTV News
    SPOKANE, Wash. -- A settlement has been reached in a landmark lawsuit that the American Civil Liberties Union brought against two psychologists involved in designing the CIA's harsh interrogation program used in the war on terror. Source