Families of 12 passengers on MH370 file lawsuits

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Families of 12 passengers on Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 on Friday sued the carrier and the government, ahead of a filing deadline next week on the second anniversary of the plane's disappearance.

See Full Article

The Boeing 777 carrying 239 flew far off course for unknown reasons after leaving Kuala Lumpur for Beijing on March 8, 2014. An ongoing search of the southern Indian Ocean has found no trace of the plane, though a wing part from the aircraft washed ashore on Reunion Island last year.

A global aviation agreement sets a two-year deadline for lawsuits by next-of-kin over air accidents.

Lawyer Sangeet Kaur Deo, who is representing 10 families, said the lawsuits involve a passenger from Russia, one from China and the rest from Malaysia. Apart from the airline, the lawsuits also named the government and the then heads of the civil aviation department and the navy as defendants.

Sangeet said her clients were engaged in settlement negotiations with the airline earlier.

"Everyone waited till the last minute to give time to the airline to settle but nothing reasonable was forthcoming. So they have no choice but to take legal action given the time limitation," Sangeet said.

Lawyer Yeoh Cho Kheong, who is representing the families of two Ukrainian passengers, said his clients will continue negotiations with the airline despite the lawsuit. The two men, aged 44 at the time, were partners in a furniture business. The families said they each earned $2 million annually and were on their way to Beijing for a business deal, Yeoh said.

"If an out-of-court settlement can be achieved, I believe my clients will accept it," Yeoh added.

All the lawsuits are seeking unspecified sums for negligence and breach of contract, the lawyers said.

Sangeet said she expects to file two more lawsuits on Monday, the last day for filing.

An international aviation agreement allows each next-of-kin of passengers on board a plane up to $175,000 in compensation, but a plaintiff filing a lawsuit can seek more.

A Boeing 777 flaperon was found on an island in the western Indian Ocean in July and confirmed by the Malaysian and French governments to have come from the ill-fated plane. Drift modelling has shown that currents could have carried debris from a suspected crash site in the southern Indian Ocean to Reunion Island.

An ongoing search in the southern Indian Ocean is expected to end by June or July.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Kushner used personal email for White House messages: lawyer

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON – U.S. President Donald Trump's son-in-law, Jared Kushner, used his personal email account on dozens of occasions to communicate with colleagues in the White House, his lawyer said Sunday. Between January and August, Kushner either received or responded to fewer than 100 emails from White House officials from his private account, attorney Abbe Lowell said in a statement that confirmed Kushner's use of a personal address in the first months of the administration. Source
  • Wedding photographer captures groom jumping into river to rescue boy

    Canada News CTV News
    An Ontario couple’s wedding photo session turned into a rescue mission when the groom jumped into a river to save a little boy from drowning. Clayton and Brittany Cook of Cambridge, Ont., had just tied the knot Friday and were posing for their wedding photographer on a park bridge when the groom noticed a child in distress in the water below. Source
  • Wedding photographer captures groom jumping into water to rescue boy

    Canada News CTV News
    An Ontario couple’s wedding photo session turned into a rescue mission when the groom jumped into a river to save a little boy from drowning. Clayton and Brittany Cook of Cambridge, Ont., had just tied the knot Friday and were posing for their wedding photographer on a park bridge when the groom noticed a child in distress in the water below. Source
  • Donald Trump signs proclamation restricting travel from 8 countries

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — Citizens of eight countries will face new restrictions on entry to the U.S. under a proclamation signed by President Donald Trump on Sunday. The new rules, which will impact the citizens of Chad, Iran, Libya, North Korea, Somalia, Syria, Venezuela and Yemen, will go into effect on October 18. Source
  • Ex-Michigan prosecutor who paid for sex released from jail

    World News Toronto Sun
    LANSING, Mich. — A man accused of hiring prostitutes hundreds of times during his 20-year career as a Michigan prosecutor has been released from jail. The Lansing State Journal reports Stuart Dunnings III walked out of the Clinton County Jail early Sunday after serving 10 months. Source
  • Prince Harry greets Canadian winners of the Duke of Edinburgh's Awards

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- The energy Prince Harry generated at the Invictus Games' opening ceremony concert on Saturday night spilled over to Sunday, when the prince met with dozens of high-achieving Canadian youth at the presentation of The Duke of Edinburgh's International Gold Awards. Source
  • Canada is actually running short of bugs

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    When Jeff Skevington’s parents used to take the family camping in Algonquin Park, they needed to stop the car halfway and buy windshield washer fluid because of all the squished bugs. But Canada is actually running out of bugs Source
  • 1 dead, 7 hurt in Tennessee church shooting [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    NASHVILLE — A masked gunman entered a church in Tennessee on Sunday and opened fire, killing at least one person and injuring seven others before apparently shooting himself, an official said. Don Aaron, spokesman for the Metro Nashville Police Department, said the gunman arrived at the parking lot in a blue vehicle as services were ending at the Burnette Chapel Church of Christ in the neighbourhood of Antioch. Source
  • RCMP say they called off pursuit before crash that killed three women

    Canada News CTV News
    LLOYDMINSTER, Sask. -- Mounties say they were chasing a stolen truck that crashed into a minivan and killed three Edmonton women, but add they called off the pursuit long before the deadly collision. RCMP said two women aged 37 and 35, died Friday morning on Highway 16 just east of the Saskatchewan boundary, while a third, aged 53, died a short time later. Source
  • Bautista leads Jays past Yankees in likely final home game

    Canada News CBC News
    Jose Bautista had two hits, drove in one run and scored another to help lift the Blue Jays to a 9-5 win over the New York Yankees on Sunday in what was likely his final home game in a Toronto uniform. Source