Tibetan in India immolates in protest against Chinese rule

NEW DELHI - A 16-year-old Tibetan living in India has died in a New Delhi hospital three days after he set himself on fire in a protest against Chinese rule, a hospital official said Friday.

See Full Article

The Tibetan suffered 98 per cent burn injuries and died late Thursday, said Pankaj, an official at New Delhi's government-run Safdarjung hospital. Pankaj uses one name.

The Tibetan set himself on fire on Monday in the northern Indian city of Dehradun and was brought to New Delhi for treatment.

It was the second such protest this year seen as an extreme expression of the anger and frustration felt by many Tibetans living under heavy-handed Chinese rule.

A Tibetan Buddhist monk self-immolated and died on Monday near the Retsokha monastery in western Sichuan province's traditional Tibetan autonomous prefecture of Kardze, Radio Free Asia reported. It said the monk called out for Tibetan independence while he burned, then died on the way to a hospital in the provincial capital of Chengdu.

Tibetan exile sources say at least 114 monks and laypeople have self-immolated over the past five years, with most of them dying. Radio Free Asia puts the number of self-immolations at 144 since 2009.

Tibetan monks and nuns are among the most active opponents of Chinese rule in the region and the strongest proponents of Tibet's independent identity, prompting the authorities to subject them to harsh and intrusive restrictions.

Beijing blames the exiled Tibetan spiritual leader Dalai Lama and others for inciting the immolations and says it has made vast investments to develop the region's economy and improve quality of life.

The Dalai Lama says he is against all violence. He fled Tibet to India in 1959 amid an abortive uprising against Chinese forces who had occupied the Himalayan region a decade earlier. He has been living in the northern Indian town of Dharmsala since then.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Powerful cyclone lashes Oman and Yemen; 5 dead, 30 missing

    World News CBC News
    Cyclone Mekunu blew into the Arabian Peninsula early Saturday, drenching arid Oman and Yemen, cutting off power lines and leaving at least five people dead and more than 30 missing, officials said. Portions of Salalah, Oman's third-largest city, lost electricity as the cyclone made landfall. Source
  • Tears, cheers and defiance follow Weinstein rape charges

    World News CBC News
    From the tremendous relief and tears of complainants to the stern defence of his lawyer, reactions were swift on Friday after disgraced film producer Harvey Weinstein surrendered to police in New York City to face sexual assault and rape charges. Source
  • Irish anti-abortion campaign concedes it has lost referendum

    World News CBC News
    The main group opposing the liberalization of Ireland's abortion law conceded on Saturday that it has lost Friday's referendum on the issue by an overwhelming margin, a spokesperson said. The people of Ireland "weighed it in the balance and it came down on one side. Source
  • No guarantee Ottawa can come to terms with Kinder Morgan over Trans Mountain, says Carr

    Canada News CBC News
    Canada's natural resources minister says there's no guarantee that Ottawa can reach a deal with Kinder Morgan to keep the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion project alive. "There's no certainty in these things. Pipeline politics, as you know, are not straight," Jim Carr told CBC Radio's The House Friday. Source
  • Canada's coolest summer job mixes adrenaline with reconciliation

    Canada News CBC News
    Reconciliation "I know that the governments have been working very hard on reconciliation," says Allison Baetz, left. "So having this first station in the North … shows that they are working towards what they had promised us. Source
  • Justice minister's tweet on Boushie verdict inspired a wave of angry e-mails and letters

    Canada News CBC News
    Hundreds of Canadians sent messages to the office of Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould after the minister posted a comment on Twitter about the second degree murder trial of Saskatchewan farmer Gerald Stanley. In February, a jury found Stanley not guilty in the death of Colten Boushie, a 22-year-old Cree man. Source
  • The Trudeau government gets another chance to do election law reform right

    Canada News CBC News
    Andrew Scheer suggested this week that Justin Trudeau is trying to "rig the next election." It's quite a thing to say. In fact, it's just about the most serious charge one can level at a government. It apparently failed to make much of a ripple on Parliament Hill — an indication, perhaps, of how numb everyone has gotten to the effects of apocalyptic political rhetoric. Source
  • Trump lawyer's selling of access to president unveils the murky world of lobbying

    World News CBC News
    Donald Trump's embattled personal lawyer Michael Cohen sparked more controversy this month when it was revealed he was paid hundreds of thousands of dollars by large corporations for access to the president. And while such transactions may have raised ethical concerns and questions about whether Cohen should have been registered as a lobbyist, his actions, say experts, were all perfectly legal. Source
  • Powerful cyclone lashes Oman, Yemen; 1 dead, 40 missing

    World News CTV News
    SALALAH, Oman -- Cyclone Mekunu has blown into the Arabian Peninsula, drenching arid Oman and Yemen with rain and cutting off power lines. Portions of Salalah, Oman's third-largest city, lost electricity early Saturday as the cyclone made landfall. Source
  • Saskatchewan to allow people to remove gender designation from birth certificate

    Canada News CTV News
    SASKATOON -- A Saskatchewan mother hopes a court decision ordering the province to allow gender markers to be removed from birth certificates when requested -- even for children -- will help to further change people's attitudes. Source