Christie on Trump appearance: 'I wasn't being held hostage'

TRENTON, N.J. -- Anyone worried that Republican Gov. Chris Christie was being held hostage by Donald Trump as he stood, seemingly shell-shocked, behind the GOP presidential front-runner on Super Tuesday can rest easy.

See Full Article

"No, I wasn't being held hostage. No, I wasn't sitting up there thinking, 'Oh, my God, what have I done?"' Christie said Thursday back home in New Jersey. "I don't know what I was supposed to be doing. All these armchair psychiatrists should give it a break."

He said his face was stoic because he was listening as Trump spoke.

"I stood where they asked me to stand. What do I care? Do you think I really care? ... I really don't," he said. "Next week there will be an Internet freakout about something else."

Christie also said that he won't heed calls from a handful of newspapers to resign and will continue helping Trump's campaign. His defence of endorsing the billionaire developer came as two former Republican presidential nominees -- most recently Mitt Romney on Thursday -- and 70 national security experts warned that Trump was unfit to be commander in chief.

He spoke Thursday at a nearly two-hour news conference in Trenton that was part campaign debriefing, part attempt to refocus on priorities in the state. But he opened the floor up to questions, and reporters had a lot of them.

Christie, who ended his own Republican presidential campaign last month, said he will continue helping Trump's campaign but doesn't have any more appearances scheduled. Christie added that his 30th wedding anniversary is next week, but he is otherwise focused on state priorities, including a budget due in June.

Seven New Jersey newspapers have called on Christie to resign. The Star-Ledger, which endorsed Christie in his 2013 re-election campaign, said in an editorial Thursday that he has since made it clear that governing the state is a "distant second priority" that comes behind his personal ambition. Six newspapers published by Gannett also called for his resignation.

Christie said he isn't surprised by the newspapers' stance because they haven't supported him in the past.

Defending his endorsement, Christie said he believes Trump would make the best president out of the remaining candidates and has the best chance to defeat Democrat Hillary Clinton in the general election. He said he and Trump have been friends for 14 years.

Christie noted that despite jokes from online commenters, he wasn't forced into giving any coerced statements on Trump's behalf Tuesday night.

"This is part of the hysteria of the people who opposed my Trump endorsement," Christie said.

Christie said he plans to finish out the nearly two years left in his term and then go into the private sector.

He did shoot down one question Thursday. When a reporter asked if he would resign if he were Trump's pick for vice-president, he replied, "Next!"



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Missing journalist died in accident on submarine, vessel's owner says

    World News CTV News
    HELSINKI -- Danish police say that the owner of a home-built submarine has told investigators that a missing female Swedish journalist died onboard in an accident, and he buried her at sea in an unspecified location. Source
  • Search for Barcelona van driver widens across Europe

    World News CBC News
    Spanish police on Monday extended the search for the man who killed 13 people in Barcelona by ramming a van into crowds to all of Europe as details emerged of how he fled on foot through the streets of the old town before disappearing. Source
  • Barcelona attack driver still at large, identity confirmed

    World News CTV News
    BARCELONA, Spain -- Spanish authorities confirmed on Monday the identity of the driver of the deadly van attack in Barcelona and said that he is the last member of the 12-man Islamic extremist cell still at large. Source
  • 1 dead, 1 injured as van rams bus stops in Marseille, France

    World News CTV News
    PARIS -- A van rammed into two bus stops in the French port city of Marseille on Monday, killing one person and injuring another, a police official said. The driver of the Renault Master van was arrested in a third location, the scenic Old Port area of France's second-largest city, David-Olivier Reverdy of the Alliance police union said. Source
  • Trump to outline Afghan strategy in national TV address

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- U.S. President Donald Trump will use a nationally televised address to outline for a war-weary nation the strategy he believes will best position the U.S. to eventually declare victory in Afghanistan after 16 years of combat and lives lost. Source
  • Ten sailors missing after U.S. destroyer collision

    World News CTV News
    SINGAPORE -- Vessels from several nations are searching Southeast Asian waters for 10 missing U.S. sailors after an early morning collision Monday between the USS John S. McCain and an oil tanker ripped a gaping hole in the destroyer's hull. Source
  • Big Ben bell to go silent in London for repairs until 2021

    World News CTV News
    LONDON -- The British Parliament's Big Ben bell is due to sound the hour for the last time on Monday before it is silenced for almost four years of repair work that will deprive London of one of its most iconic sounds. Source
  • 1 killed in Marseille after van crashes into bus shelters

    World News CBC News
    At least one person was killed and another injured in Marseille on Monday when a van crashed into two bus shelters in different parts of the French city, police said. Police advised the public to avoid the Old Port area where the driver, a 35-year-old man, was arrested. Source
  • 100 years on, 'forgotten' WWI Canadian victory at Hill 70 memorialized

    Canada News CBC News
    A group huddles around a collection of large black-and-white portraits strewn across a table at the armoury in Kamloops, B.C. Peering through magnifying glasses, they search for a specific face among the rows of troops dressed in identical uniforms. Source
  • Amid Trans Mountain uncertainty, pro-pipeline Indigenous peoples make a pitch for development

    Canada News CBC News
    Some Indigenous leaders in B.C. scored a major victory recently after they successfully lobbied Premier John Horgan to join a legal fight to stop the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion. The $7.4 billion project, which got the green light from Prime Minister Justin Trudeau last fall, now faces an uncertain future in the face of vehement opposition from some anti-pipeline protesters, which count many First Nations peoples among their ranks. Source