Turkish police kill 2 women after attack on police station

ISTANBUL - Police in Istanbul on Thursday shot and killed two women who had hidden inside a building after attacking police with gunfire and a hand grenade, an official said.

See Full Article

Two police officers were slightly injured.

Security camera footage showed the women firing at a police bus outside a riot police station in Istanbul's Bayrampasa neighbourhood and also hurling a hand grenade, before apparently taking aim at the police station. The hand grenade did not explode.

They escaped the scene in a vehicle and hid inside a building a short distance from the police station. Police quickly surrounded the building and launched an operation after the pair ignored calls for them to surrender.

Istanbul Gov. Vahip Sahin said both of the assailants were killed in the operation. He said two police officers were wounded - one by broken glass during the attack on the bus and the other during the operation on the building.

Sahin said police were trying to identify the assailants and possible accomplices.

There was no immediate responsibility claim for the attack on the riot police station. Both Kurdish rebels and militants of a far-left organization have attacked police in the city in the past.

The attack comes amid a surge in violence in Turkey since the summer.

A fragile peace process with the Kurdistan Workers' Party, or PKK, collapsed in July, reviving a three-decade conflict that has killed tens of thousands of people since 1984.

Last month, a suicide car bombing that targeted buses carrying military personnel in the capital, Ankara, killed 29 people. A Kurdish militant group that is an off-shoot of the PKK claimed responsibility for that attack. But the government maintains that it was the work of a Syrian Kurdish militia group, in co-ordination with the PKK.

Some 145 people have died since July in three separate suicide bomb attacks that authorities have blamed on the Islamic State group, including 12 German tourists who were killed in Istanbul's historic Sultanahmet district on Jan. 12.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Hamas accepts cease-fire after massive Israeli Gaza strikes

    World News CTV News
    JERUSALEM -- Gaza's militant Hamas rulers said Saturday they had accepted a cease-fire ending a massive Israeli onslaught on militant positions after a soldier was shot dead, once again pulling the sides back from the brink of a full-fledged war. Source
  • Wildfire threat prompts evacuations in northeastern Ontario

    Canada News CTV News
    KILLARNEY, Ont. -- It's going to be a very busy weekend for crews battling dozens of wildfires in northeastern Ontario. The Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry says eight new fires were ignited by lightning strikes Friday, pushing the total number of blazes to at least 65 -- 34 of which remain out of control. Source
  • Ticket mix-up put family on Missouri tourist boat that sank, killing 17

    World News CBC News
    More than half of the 17 people killed when a tourist boat sank on a Branson lake were members of the same Indiana family, and they likely wouldn't have been on the ill-fated trip but for a ticket mix-up. Source
  • No winning ticket for Friday night's $25 million Lotto Max jackpot

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- No winning ticket was sold for the $25 million jackpot in Friday night's Lotto Max draw. That means the jackpot for the next draw on July 27 will grow to approximately $35 million. Source
  • Hamas says deal reached with Israel to restore calm in Gaza

    World News CBC News
    Hamas said on Saturday it had agreed to a truce with Israel in the Gaza Strip, a day after clashes killed an Israeli soldier and four Palestinians along the volatile border. The Israeli military declined to comment on the reported ceasefire. Source
  • Fraud case charges stayed because of judge shortage in Ontario Superior Court

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Five men accused in an alleged multimillion-dollar fraud scheme have had all charges against them stayed because of a shortage of judges in Ontario's Superior Court of Justice. Earlier this year, a judge attempting to set a trial date for the five accused said they could not come before the courts until at least January 2019. Source
  • Newly released video from Brazil shows man believed to be last of tribe

    World News CTV News
    SAO PAULO -- No one knows his name. No one knows the name of the people he came from. And he appears to have lived alone in Brazil's Amazon for 22 years. Video released for this first time this week by Brazil's Indian Foundation shows rare images of a so-called uncontacted indigenous man who is believed to be the last surviving member of his tribe. Source
  • Man charged with attempted murder of 5-year-old makes court appearance

    Canada News CTV News
    The 28-year-old man charged with the attempted murder of a 5-year-old Brampton, Ont. boy appeared in court on Friday. Dyon Smart has been remanded in custody and will make his next court appearance on July 25. Source
  • 'The Jay Z of St.-T': Rapper runs for mayor in St. Thomas, Ont.

    Canada News CTV News
    Three years ago, rap artist Malichi Male was driving to a gig in London, Ont. when he got lost. Male took a wrong turn and ended up in St. Thomas, a quiet community about 27 kilometres south of his destination. Source
  • MGM turns to never-tested law to sue Vegas shooting victims

    World News CTV News
    LAS VEGAS -- The unprecedented move from MGM Resorts International to sue hundreds of victims of last year's mass shooting in Las Vegas using an obscure U.S. law never tested in court has been framed by the casino-operator as an effort to avoid years of costly litigation -- but the legal manoeuvr may not play out that way. Source