North Korea fires short-range projectiles into sea

SEOUL, Korea, Republic Of - North Korea fired six short-range projectiles into the sea off its east coast Thursday, Seoul officials said, just hours after the UN Security Council approved the toughest sanctions on Pyongyang in two decades for its recent nuclear test and long-range rocket launch.

See Full Article

The North's launches also come shortly after Seoul's parliament passed its first legislation on human rights in North Korea.

Defence spokesman Moon Sang Gyun said the projectiles were fired from the eastern coastal town of Wonsan, adding authorities were trying to determine what exactly North Korea fired. The projectiles could be missiles, artillery or rockets, according to the Defence Ministry.

A South Korean official from the Joint Chiefs of Staff, who did not want to be named, citing office rules, said that North Korea fired six projectiles that flew about 100 to 150 kilometres (60 to 90 miles) before landing in the sea.

North Korea routinely test-fires missiles and rockets, but it often conducts more weapons launches when angered at international condemnation.

Thursday's launch was seen as a "low-level" response to the UN sanctions, with Pyongyang unlikely to launch any major provocation until a landmark ruling Workers' Party convention in May, according to Yang Moo-jin, a professor at the University of North Korean Studies in Seoul.

The U.S. State Department said it had seen reports of the launches and was monitoring the situation.

Pyongyang conducted its fourth nuclear test in January, making the widely disputed claim that it successfully detonated a hydrogen bomb. Last month, it put a satellite into orbit on a long-range rocket that the United Nations and others see as a cover for a test of banned ballistic missile technology.

The new UN sanctions include mandatory inspections of cargo leaving and entering North Korea by land, sea or air; a ban on all sales or transfers of small arms and light weapons to Pyongyang; and expulsion of diplomats from the North who engage in "illicit activities."

South Korea's National Assembly passed the human rights bill shortly before the UN sanctions were unanimously approved. The Cabinet Council endorsed the bill on Thursday. It will become law after it is signed by President Park Geun-hye.

North Korea has warned that enactment of the law would result in "miserable ruin." It views any criticism of its rights situation as part of a U.S.-led plot to overthrow its government, a reason why it says it needs nuclear weapons.

The bill would establish a centre in South Korea's Unification Ministry tasked with collecting, archiving and publishing information about human rights in North Korea. It is required to transfer that information to the Justice Ministry, a step parliamentary officials say would provide legal grounds to punish rights violators in North Korea when the two Koreas eventually reunify.

In 2014, a UN commission of inquiry on North Korea published a report laying out abuses such as a harsh system of political prison camps holding up to 120,000 people. The commission urged the Security Council to refer North Korea to the International Criminal Court over its human rights record.

-----

Associated Press writer Kim Tong-hyung contributed to this report.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Missing journalist died in accident on submarine, vessel's owner says

    World News CTV News
    HELSINKI -- Danish police say that the owner of a home-built submarine has told investigators that a missing female Swedish journalist died onboard in an accident, and he buried her at sea in an unspecified location. Source
  • Search for Barcelona van driver widens across Europe

    World News CBC News
    Spanish police on Monday extended the search for the man who killed 13 people in Barcelona by ramming a van into crowds to all of Europe as details emerged of how he fled on foot through the streets of the old town before disappearing. Source
  • Barcelona attack driver still at large, identity confirmed

    World News CTV News
    BARCELONA, Spain -- Spanish authorities confirmed on Monday the identity of the driver of the deadly van attack in Barcelona and said that he is the last member of the 12-man Islamic extremist cell still at large. Source
  • 1 dead, 1 injured as van rams bus stops in Marseille, France

    World News CTV News
    PARIS -- A van rammed into two bus stops in the French port city of Marseille on Monday, killing one person and injuring another, a police official said. The driver of the Renault Master van was arrested in a third location, the scenic Old Port area of France's second-largest city, David-Olivier Reverdy of the Alliance police union said. Source
  • Trump to outline Afghan strategy in national TV address

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- U.S. President Donald Trump will use a nationally televised address to outline for a war-weary nation the strategy he believes will best position the U.S. to eventually declare victory in Afghanistan after 16 years of combat and lives lost. Source
  • Ten sailors missing after U.S. destroyer collision

    World News CTV News
    SINGAPORE -- Vessels from several nations are searching Southeast Asian waters for 10 missing U.S. sailors after an early morning collision Monday between the USS John S. McCain and an oil tanker ripped a gaping hole in the destroyer's hull. Source
  • Big Ben bell to go silent in London for repairs until 2021

    World News CTV News
    LONDON -- The British Parliament's Big Ben bell is due to sound the hour for the last time on Monday before it is silenced for almost four years of repair work that will deprive London of one of its most iconic sounds. Source
  • 1 killed in Marseille after van crashes into bus shelters

    World News CBC News
    At least one person was killed and another injured in Marseille on Monday when a van crashed into two bus shelters in different parts of the French city, police said. Police advised the public to avoid the Old Port area where the driver, a 35-year-old man, was arrested. Source
  • 100 years on, 'forgotten' WWI Canadian victory at Hill 70 memorialized

    Canada News CBC News
    A group huddles around a collection of large black-and-white portraits strewn across a table at the armoury in Kamloops, B.C. Peering through magnifying glasses, they search for a specific face among the rows of troops dressed in identical uniforms. Source
  • Amid Trans Mountain uncertainty, pro-pipeline Indigenous peoples make a pitch for development

    Canada News CBC News
    Some Indigenous leaders in B.C. scored a major victory recently after they successfully lobbied Premier John Horgan to join a legal fight to stop the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion. The $7.4 billion project, which got the green light from Prime Minister Justin Trudeau last fall, now faces an uncertain future in the face of vehement opposition from some anti-pipeline protesters, which count many First Nations peoples among their ranks. Source