U.S. questioning captured Islamic State leader in Iraq: Officials

WASHINGTON -- A new U.S. special operations team has been questioning a key Islamic State leader in Iraq since seizing him in a raid last month, U.S.

See Full Article

officials said Wednesday. It is believed to be the first case of a top IS militant captured alive in that country.

The officials would not identify the militant by name or provide other details, but the raid appears to be the first major success by the Pentagon's new expeditionary targeting force that recently began operating in Iraq. It aims to disrupt Islamic State operations in Iraq and Syria and gather intelligence that can be used to conduct follow-on raids and strikes.

The militant has been held in Iraq for two to three weeks, the officials said, calling the development important because of his leadership position in the extremist group and the information they could glean from him.

The officials weren't authorized to speak publicly about the raid and demanded anonymity. The New York Times, also citing anonymous officials, was first to report the capture and said the militant was being interrogated by American officials at a temporary detention facility in Irbil in northern Iraq.

Pentagon press secretary Peter Cook wouldn't confirm the capture, but said the goals of the new expeditionary targeting force include capturing Islamic State leaders. "Any detention would be short-term and co-ordinated with Iraqi authorities," he said.

Defence Secretary Ash Carter has spoken about the team several times over the past few months but has emphasized his intention to keep a lid on details of its actual operations in Iraq and Syria. He told Congress in early December about the team's planned deployment, saying they would be there to conduct raids, free hostages, gather intelligence and capture Islamic State leaders.

Using an alternative acronym for the Islamic State, Carter said Monday the force would be part of accelerated military operations and used "to conduct raids of various kinds, seizing places and people, freeing hostages and prisoners of ISIL, and making it such that ISIL has to fear that anywhere, anytime, it may be struck."

He said the targeting force was "in position" and "having an effect and operating."

Col. Patrick Ryder, spokesman for U.S. Central Command, which is responsible for American military operations in the Middle East, declined to comment on the capture or detention of the militant.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Terminally ill Calgary woman who had wedding after diagnosis dies: foundation

    Canada News CTV News
    When Micah Repato learned that her cancer diagnosis was terminal, she decided to forego palliative care and instead spend her last few weeks celebrating her life with loved ones. With the help of a Calgary non-profit, the 25-year-old marked her birthday and Christmas in the same week, with family and friends flying in from across North America to celebrate. Source
  • Suspect in Portland stabbings ranted about Muslims: police

    World News CTV News
    PORTLAND, Ore. -- A man who police say fatally stabbed two people who tried to stop him from yelling anti-Islamic slurs on a Portland light-rail train spent time in prison for robbery and kidnapping charges years ago, according to court records and a defence attorney. Source
  • 35-year-old convicted kidnapper accused in 'hate speech' stabbing deaths

    World News Toronto Sun
    PORTLAND, Ore. — The 35-year-old man identified by authorities in the fatal stabbing of two people on a Portland light-rail train has a criminal record that includes stints in prison. Court records show that Jeremy Joseph Christian was convicted of robbery, kidnapping and a weapons charge in 2002. Source
  • Obama meets with Prince Harry, offers condolences to Manchester victims

    World News CTV News
    Former U.S. President Barack Obama has offered his condolences to victims of the Manchester bombing during a meeting with Prince Harry. The prince's Kensington Palace office tweeted a picture of Harry and Obama at the palace Saturday. Source
  • N.C. restaurant hit with US$308,000 water bill for 13 days of service

    World News Toronto Sun
    CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Two brothers launching a new restaurant in North Carolina found themselves deluged by a $308,000 water bill. But now their water worries are over. The Charlotte Observer reported that Faraz and Faisal Syed received the enormous bill in March, about two months before the Lazeez Mediterranean Grill had opened in that city. Source
  • Caroline Mulroney could continue political dynasty begun by her father

    Canada News CBC News
    The daughter of one of Canada's longest-serving Conservative prime ministers says she is considering a run for federal office. Caroline Mulroney was picked by the party to serve as a master of ceremonies for the leadership convention in Toronto this weekend. Source
  • Calgary man who contracted flesh eating disease overseas now recovering at home

    Canada News CTV News
    *Warning: Graphic images shown in the video may be disturbing to some A Calgary man who contracted flesh-eating disease while on vacation has returned home and is recovering after a harrowing medical ordeal overseas. Source
  • British Airways flights out of London grounded by computer outage

    World News CBC News
    British Airways cancelled all flights from London's Heathrow and Gatwick airports on Saturday as a global IT failure upended the travel plans of tens of thousands of people on a busy U.K. holiday weekend. The airline said it was suffering a "major IT systems failure" around the world. Source
  • Conservatives pick new federal leader today

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    TORONTO — The final votes will be cast today for a new leader of the Conservative Party of Canada. Some 259,000 people are eligible to vote, deciding between 13 candidates running the gamut from former cabinet ministers to one who has never held public office. Source
  • Global computer outage grounds British Airways Heathrow, Gatwick flights

    World News Toronto Sun
    LONDON — British Airways cancelled all flights from London’s Heathrow and Gatwick airports on Saturday as a global IT failure upended the travel plans of tens of thousands of people on a busy U.K. holiday weekend. The airline said it was suffering a “major IT systems failure” around the world. Source