Mexican Drug lord changes mind, wants extradition: lawyer

MEXICO CITY -- A lawyer for drug lord Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman said Wednesday his client now wants to be extradited as soon as possible to the United States because guards at a Mexican maximum-security prison won't let him sleep.

See Full Article

Lawyer Jose Refugio Rodriguez said Guzman told him to negotiate with U.S. authorities for a lighter sentence and confinement at a medium-security prison.

Rodriguez told Radio Formula Wednesday he talked to Guzman Tuesday at the Altiplano prison west of Mexico City.

"He has reached the limit," Rodriguez said. "It is an act of desperation."

"He said to try to get a negotiation with the American government," Rodriguez said, adding, "We know of agreements with other people for confinement in medium-security prisons ... a much lower sentence."

It was unclear what kind of agreements Rodriguez was referring to; though some Mexican drug suspects have reached some form of plea deals with U.S. authorities in the past, it is not clear any have ever been able to negotiate terms on where they will be held.

The U.S. Embassy in Mexico City said it does not comment on extraditions.

Guzman's lawyers had previously vowed to fight extradition as long as possible, and Mexican officials had acknowledged it would take at least a year and perhaps more for the extradition process to work its way through Mexican courts.

But Rodriguez suggested it could be done in two months, presumably if Guzman dropped an estimated nine appeals his lawyers have filed.

However, Rodriguez said "we won't drop the (legal) defence in Mexico until we have an agreement with the United States."

Officials have acknowledged that guards at the Altilplano prison wake Guzman every four hours for a head count. He escaped the same prison in July and was recaptured in January.

The harsher regime -- Guzman also has fewer visits than during his last stint in prison -- seems to have broken him.

"I saw a defeated, humiliated man," Rodriguez said.

In February, Rodriguez gave The Associated Press a copy of Guzman's testimony in one of the cases against him. In it, the jailed drug lord accused prison authorities of torturing him "by waking him up, and said, "I feel like a sleepwalker."

"My head and my ears always hurt and I feel bad all over," Guzman said in the document.

The testimony also sheds light on the relatively permissive visitors' schedule Guzman enjoyed at the maximum-security prison before his escape in July. It has been reduced since he was recaptured in January.

Guzman said that previously he had been give an hour-and-a-half every day to talk to his lawyer and an hour in the sun in a prison patio. Every nine days, he was allowed a four-hour conjugal visit and a four-hour family visit.

National security commissioner Renato Sales, whose responsibilities include overseeing federal prisons, said at a news conference Monday that Guzman's human rights are in no way being violated at the Altiplano prison,

Sales pointed out that Guzman has escaped twice from Mexican prisons.

"Shouldn't someone who twice escaped from maximum security prisons be subject to special security measures? The common sense answer is yes," Sales said.

Guzman faces charges in a number of federal courts across the country, and authorities have not said which U.S. prosecutors will have the first crack at the drug lord. Therefore, at this point there is no one to negotiate such a deal -- not that anyone would likely be willing to do so before Guzman had even set foot in a U.S. courtroom.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Kingston, Ont., woman, 42, charged after being found naked in stranger's bathtub

    Canada News CTV News
    KINGSTON, Ont. - Police say a woman is facing charges after she was found lounging naked in a stranger's bathtub in Kingston, Ont. They say that when the complainant arrived home on Sunday evening, she found the nude woman in the unfilled tub. Source
  • Saskatchewan ends ban on Alberta plates at its job sites

    Canada News CTV News
    EDMONTON - The licence plate fight between Saskatchewan and Alberta is over. An Alberta government spokesman says Saskatchewan informed them by letter today it is rescinding its ban on vehicles with Alberta licence plates on Saskatchewan government project sites. Source
  • Any steak specials? RCMP dashcam catches cougar in front of Banff grocery store

    Canada News CTV News
    BANFF, Alta. -- An RCMP officer on a traffic stop in Banff caught more than he expected on his car's dash camera. The video, which shows the constable talking to a motorist, captured a cougar dashing by a couple of metres away -- in front of a grocery store. Source
  • 'Unnecessary risks' to blame for record high snowmobile deaths in Ontario: OPP

    Canada News CTV News
    The winter of 2016-2017 had the highest number of snowmobile-related fatalities in Ontario on record, provincial police say. During the season, Ontario Provincial Police responded to 27 snowmobile deaths, marking a record high in snowmobile-related fatalities since the winter of 2003-2004. Source
  • USA Gymnastics leaders resign amid sex abuse scandal

    World News CBC News
    Three key leaders at USA Gymnastics resigned Monday as more women and girls told a judge about being sexually assaulted at the hands of a sports doctor who spent years with Olympic gymnasts and other female athletes. Source
  • 5 missing after Oklahoma rig explosion, emergency official says

    World News CBC News
    Five people are missing after a fiery explosion ripped through an eastern Oklahoma drilling rig Monday morning, sending plumes of black smoke into the air and leaving a derrick crumpled on the ground, an emergency official said. Source
  • Lawyers slam 'de facto expulsion' of student guilty of sexual interference

    Canada News CTV News
    CALGARY - The Criminal Trial Lawyers' Association is criticizing what it calls the de facto expulsion of a University of Calgary student convicted of a sexual offence. Connor Neurauter pleaded guilty to sexual interference with a minor in Kamloops, B.C. Source
  • LIVE: Funeral held for boy killed in N.S. house fire

    Canada News CTV News
    The funeral for one of the four children who died in a southern Nova Scotia house fire is being held. Mason Grant, 7, died in a house fire in West Pubnico, N.S. on Jan. Source
  • More than 600 at funeral for N.S. boy who died in fire

    Canada News CTV News
    YARMOUTH, N.S. -- The funeral for one of four children killed in a house fire in southern Nova Scotia was held today for a little boy known for his infectious smile and unusual sense of humour. Source
  • In Syria's Aleppo, old bazaar struggles to come back to life

    World News CTV News
    ALEPPO, Syria -- Fighting has long died down in Syria's largest city, but Aleppo's centuries-old market has yet to come back to life, more than a year after government forces retook rebel-held neighbourhoods around the Old City. Source