Cardinal denies concealing knowledge of 2 Australian pedophiles

CANBERRA, Australia - One of Pope Francis' top advisers on Wednesday denied accusations that he had concealed his own knowledge of two notorious pedophile priests, telling an Australian inquiry into child sex abuse that he had changed a culture of "crimes and coverups" within the Catholic Church.

See Full Article

Australian Cardinal George Pell has told the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse this week that he was deceived twice by church authorities about child abuse allegations against priests Gerald Ridsdale and Peter Searson.

Pell said that as an assistant priest in the Australian city of Ballarat in the 1970s, Bishop Ronald Mulkearns had not told him that Ridsdale was repeatedly moved within the diocese because of pedophilia allegations.

Pell also said that as an auxiliary bishop in Melbourne in the early 1990s, the Catholic Education Office and Archbishop Frank Little had concealed from him accusations of pedophilia against Searson.

The lead counsel assisting the commission, Gail Furness, told Pell that Pell's evidence of Catholic Education Office coverup was "completely implausible."

Pell's evidence that he was deceived by church authorities in both Ballarat and Melbourne was an "extraordinary position," Furness said.

"Counsel, this was an extraordinary world. A world of crimes and coverups and people did not want the status quo to be disturbed," Pell told the inquiry in Sydney via videolink from a Rome hotel.

"I not only disturbed the status quo, but when I became Archbishop, I turned the situation right around so that the Melbourne Response procedures were light years ahead of all this obfuscation and prevarication and deception," he added, referring a program he initiated in 1996 to pay compensation to clergy-abuse victims.

Furness put to Pell that he had known about allegations against Ridsdale and that he had been properly briefed by the Catholic Education Office about allegations against Searson. Pell denied both propositions.

Furness accuses the 74-year-old cleric and the pope's chief financial adviser of denying knowledge about the pedophiles as an explanation for his lack of action.

The royal commission - which is Australia's highest form of investigation - is investigating how Pell dealt with abuse allegations as a priest, educator and adviser to Mulkearns, as well as how the Melbourne archdiocese responded to allegations of abuse, including when Pell served as auxiliary bishop.

Mulkearns is dying and is too ill to testify to the royal commission. Little died in 2008.

Ridsdale is in prison on convictions of abusing more than 50 children. The church substantiated four complaints of child sexual abuse against Searson, who died in 2009.

Pell said he accepted that there had been failure of process in handling complaints against Searson.

Pell said he was only "tangentially, marginally" responsible for that failure "because as an auxiliary you are not part of the official procedures."

"I regret that, even at this stage, I wasn't a bit more vigorous in my questioning or commenting," Pell said.

Wednesday was Pell's third day of testifying to the inquiry, which is investigating decades of abuse within churches and a variety of other organizations.

Two dozen Australian abuse victims and their companions travelled across the globe to witness Pell's testimony in a hotel conference room, a significant show of accountability in the church's long-running abuse saga.

The victims said Wednesday that they had requested a meeting with the pope before they return to Australia on Friday.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Timeline of the 3-year search for missing Malaysia plane

    World News CTV News
    KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia -- The end of the deep-sea sonar search for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 leaves the largest and most technologically challenging search in aviation history unresolved. Some of the key moments in the search: Source
  • MH370 search ends after three years

    World News CTV News
    SYDNEY, Australia - After nearly three years, the hunt for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 ended in futility and frustration Tuesday, as crews completed their deep-sea search of a desolate stretch of the Indian Ocean without finding a trace of the plane. Source
  • Reports: police question Istanbul nightclub attacker

    World News Toronto Sun
    ISTANBUL — A gunman suspected of killing 39 people during a New Year’s attack on an Istanbul nightclub has been caught in a police operation, Turkish media reports said early Tuesday. The suspect was captured in a special operations police raid on a house in Istanbul’s Esenyurt district, private NTV television reported. Source
  • Friends recount terror and tragedy of seeing friend killed in Mexico club shooting

    Canada News CBC News
    The first gunshot cut through the pulse of the Playa del Carmen, Mexico, nightclub less than a minute after Charles Lewis last spoke to Kirk Wilson, a Canadian killed in a shooting that left four others dead in the early hours of Monday morning. Source
  • Mexican town fears nightclub shooting means drug war has come

    World News CTV News
    PLAYA DEL CARMEN, Mexico -- While authorities investigate what set off a deadly shooting at an electronic music festival event, residents said it came amid a growing and increasingly open drug scene in this resort town that has long been spared the violence of Mexico's cartel wars. Source
  • Officers at Ohio jail beat homeless veteran into coma: lawsuit

    World News CTV News
    DAYTON, Ohio -- A federal lawsuit alleges that officers at an Ohio jail beat a homeless veteran so severely that he ended up in a coma for two months and is now wheelchair-bound and cognitively disabled. Source
  • German court to rule if lawmakers can ban far-right party

    World News CTV News
    BERLIN - Germany's supreme court is scheduled to announce its verdict Tuesday on lawmakers' bid to outlaw a far-right party accused of promoting a racist and anti-Semitic agenda. It would be the first ban of its kind since 1956. Source
  • Saskatoon man finally cashes in on $5M lottery win from last summer

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    SASKATOON — A Saskatoon man who traded in snacks for lottery tickets has picked up a $5 million cheque for being the sole winner of a Lotto 649 draw last summer. Curtis Mooney jokingly told reporters on Monday that he is 45 and single — “but not for long. Source
  • 81 false killer whales dead in stranding off Everglades

    World News Toronto Sun
    MIAMI — Officials say dozens of false killer whales have died after stranding themselves in the Gulf of Mexico west of the Florida Everglades. Blair Mase of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s fisheries service told reporters that the Coast Guard had confirmed sightings Saturday of the black dolphins in the shallows on the western edge of Everglades National Park. Source
  • Milos Raonic cruises to 1st-round victory at Australian Open

    Canada News CBC News
    Milos Raonic and Dustin Brown renewed their Grand Slam duel Monday night (Tuesday afternoon in Australia) and the result was the same as the last time — a three-set win for the tall Canadian. Raonic and Brown met for the first time in the first round of last year's U.S. Source