Oman police say 18 killed, 16 injured in bus crash

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - A bus travelling through western Oman's desert crashed into a truck and a passing car later slammed into the wreckage early on Tuesday morning, killing at least 18 people and injuring 16 others, police said.

See Full Article

Authorities received first word of the crash near the Nahdah area on the road connecting the cities of Fahud and Ibri around 1 a.m., Oman police spokesman Mohammed bin Salama al-Hashimi said. Fahud and Ibri are cities west of the capital, Muscat.

He said those hurt in the crash had injuries ranging from serious to minor and had been transported to hospitals throughout the sultanate.

Omani police later issued a statement via Instagram saying their initial investigation led them to believe the bus and the truck had a head-on collision at a traffic roundabout on the road, while the car later crashed into the wreckage. Police officers from Muscat arrived at the scene via helicopter, while workers with Petroleum Development Oman also aided rescuers, authorities said.

Police said six of the dead were from Oman, four were from Saudi Arabia, two were from Pakistan and one was from Yemen. Five others were still unidentified. Among the injured, 11 were from Oman, two were Saudis, one was Pakistani, one was Chinese and one remained unidentified, the police said.

Traffic crashes are not uncommon in the Gulf states. Many drivers speed on long desert highways and large populations of foreign guest workers are a source of motorists who have come to the country with differing driving habits.

In February 2013, at least 22 migrant workers died when a gravel-filled truck with faulty brakes rammed into a bus near in Al Ain, an Emirati city on the Omani border. In May the following year, 15 migrant workers died in a bus crash in Dubai.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Gunmen attack Coptic Christians in Egypt

    World News CBC News
    Gunmen attacked a bus carrying a group of Coptic Christians in Egypt on Friday, killing a number of them, eyewitnesses said. Early reports put the death toll between 10 and 23. The governor of Minya province, where the attack occurred, said another 25 had been injured. Source
  • Manchester tattoo parlours buzzing as people commemorate attack with ink

    World News CBC News
    The Mancunian bee: striped and winged, of course, and rather simply drawn in black ink. The worker bee has been the symbol of Manchester for nearly 200 years. This past week it was picked up and dusted off by a city racked with grief, becoming one of the most unexpected and potent symbols of defiance in the wake of the attack that shook this city to its core Monday, when 22 people, including several children, were killed by a suspected suicide bomber at a packed Ariana Grande concert. Source
  • 3 questions about Trump's push for a probe into Manchester leaks

    World News CBC News
    U.S. President Donald Trump has called leaks to U.S. media about the Manchester bombing investigation "deeply troubling" and vowed to find out what happened. Responding to British Prime Minister Theresa May's outrage over a New York Times story publishing forensic photos of the crime scene, Trump said the leaks were a "grave threat to our national security. Source
  • Free trade, climate among issues on Trudeau agenda at G7 summit in Italy

    World News CBC News
    Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland says Canada will champion the benefits of free trade and action on climate change at the G7 Summit in Taormina, Sicily, even as U.S. President Donald Trump tries to steer the world in another direction. Source
  • U.K. police arrest 9th man in concert bombing investigation

    World News CBC News
    British police investigating the Manchester Arena bombing have arrested a ninth man while continuing to search addresses associated with the bomber who killed 22 concert-goers. Eight other men are in custody in connection with Monday's atrocity, with police and security agencies working to prevent further attacks. Source
  • Philippines says foreigners among ISIS-linked gunmen fighting government troops

    World News CBC News
    Foreign fighters are among the militants linked to the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria group who are battling government troops in the southern Philippines, an official said Friday. Solicitor General Jose Calida said Indonesians and Malaysians are fighting alongside the gunmen who attacked Marawi, a city of some 200,000 people on Mindanao island. Source
  • Republican wins U.S. election race 1 day after being charged with assault

    World News CBC News
    Republican multimillionaire Greg Gianforte won Montana's only U.S. House seat on Thursday despite being charged a day earlier with assault after witnesses said he grabbed a reporter by the neck and threw him to the ground. Source
  • Republican wins U.S. election 1 day after being charged with assault

    World News CBC News
    Republican multimillionaire Greg Gianforte won Montana's only U.S. House seat on Thursday despite being charged a day earlier with assault after witnesses said he grabbed a reporter by the neck and threw him to the ground. Source
  • Greg Gianforte wins U.S. House race day after charged with assault

    World News Toronto Sun
    BOZEMAN, Mont. — Republican multimillionaire Greg Gianforte won Montana’s only U.S. House seat on Thursday despite being charged a day earlier with assault after witnesses said he grabbed a reporter by the neck and threw him to the ground. Source
  • $95.6M awarded to Philadelphia building collapse survivor who suffered a 'guillotine amputation'

    World News Toronto Sun
    PHILADELPHIA — An arbitrator has awarded $95.6 million to a Ukrainian immigrant who was seriously injured in a 2013 Philadelphia building collapse. Mariya Plekan’s attorney, Andrew Stern, announced the division of the $227 million settlement on Thursday. Source