Justice Clarence Thomas asks question in court; first in ten years

WASHINGTON -- Justice Clarence Thomas broke 10 years of courtroom silence Monday and posed questions during a U.S. Supreme Court oral argument, provoking gasps from the audience.

See Full Article

And it wasn't just one question; it was a string of them in an exchange that lasted several minutes.

It was only the second week the court has heard arguments since the death of Justice Antonin Scalia, Thomas' friend and fellow conservative, whom he'd sat next to for seven years. Scalia was famous for aggressive and sometimes combative questions from the bench. His chair is now draped in black in observance of his Feb. 13 death.

Thomas' gravelly voice unexpectedly filled the courtroom and enlivened an otherwise sleepy argument about gun rights. He peppered Justice Department lawyer Ilana Eisenstein, who was trying to wind up her argument, with 10 or so questions that seemed to be a vigorous defense of the constitutional right to own a gun.

"Ms. Eisenstein, one question," Thomas said. "This is a misdemeanour violation. It suspends a constitutional right. Can you give me another area where a misdemeanor violation suspends a constitutional right?"

Until then, it had been business as usual for the first 50 minutes of the hour-long session in Voisine v. United States. The court was considering the reach of a federal law that bans people convicted of domestic violence from owning guns.

None of the other justices visibly reacted to Thomas' remarks.

Eisenstein noted that violating other laws can, in some cases, limit a person's free-speech rights under the First Amendment.

"OK," Thomas said. "So can you think of a First Amendment suspension or a suspension of a First Amendment right that is permanent?"

It was a topic no other justice had asked about. And his comments came after several of the other justices seemed to favor the government's position that the law applies whether the abuse is intentional or reckless.

Thomas last asked a question in court on Feb. 22, 2006, and his unusual silence over the years has become a curiousity. Every other justice regularly poses questions from the bench.

Thomas has come under criticism for his silence from some who say he is neglecting his duties as a justice. He has said he relies on the written briefs in a case and doesn't need to ask questions of the lawyers appearing in court.

Carrie Severino, a former clerk to Thomas who now heads a conservative advocacy group, said the justice had kept his silence "because he felt that oral arguments have become less civil and respectful of the attorneys and their arguments over the past two decades, often becoming little more than rhetorical jousting among the justices."

Like Scalia, Thomas has long championed Second Amendment gun rights. In December, he and Scalia objected when the high court refused to hear a challenge to a Chicago suburb's assault weapons ban that was upheld by lower courts. Thomas said the justices should not stand by while lower courts relegate "the Second Amendment to a second-class right."

Thomas did not speak during the court's second argument on Monday.

Associated Press writer Mark Sherman contributed to this report



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Woman survived two-hour conversation with killer by showing 'no fear'

    Canada News CTV News
    REGINA -- After John Strang shot and killed his wife in their Saskatchewan home, he drove his Jeep -- packed with guns, ammunition, handcuffs and duct tape -- to the home of a female friend for a chilling conversation. Source
  • U.K. police respond to reports of gunman in leisure complex

    World News CBC News
    British police are dealing with what they call an "ongoing incident" at a leisure park in Nuneaton, Central England. There are reports of a gunman in the complex, which houses a movie theatre and bowling alley. Source
  • Quebec women who've worn niqabs discuss province's controversial neutrality bill

    Canada News CTV News
    MONTREAL -- Warda Naili says the first time she donned a niqab six years ago, it became a part of her. The Quebec woman, a convert to Islam, said she decided to cover her face out of a desire to practice her faith more authentically and to protect her modesty. Source
  • Officials: International students won't face immigration penalties during college strike

    Canada News CTV News
    Tens of thousands of international students affected by a faculty strike at Ontario colleges are being reassured by immigration officials that they won't be penalized for a delay that is beyond their control. But some international students say the work stoppage, which began last Monday, has them worrying about finances as well as their education and immigration status. Source
  • Judge praises sex-assault victim, jails her abusive former supervisor

    Canada News CTV News
    HALIFAX -- He was her supervisor and sexually abused her for months -- repeatedly groping her and making sexual comments, all under the guise of joking around. Now a 51-year-old Halifax man is going to jail -- and the judge is praising the courage of the young woman, who couldn't get other managers to help her. Source
  • Some towns offer fitness passes instead of candy for Halloween trick-or-treaters

    Canada News CTV News
    REGINA -- The gleeful "trick or treat" that children shout when they call at houses on Halloween is getting a healthier response in some cities across Canada.Scroll down or click here to vote in our poll of the day Instead of candy, little ghosts and goblins on some doorsteps are getting passes to go swimming, skating and even skiing. Source
  • Time to toss the ethics commissioner off the bus

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    During one of testier exchanges during the Morneau Affair -- capitalized here to designate an official scandal -- the NDP's ethics and deputy finance critic, Nathan Cullen, accused Justin Trudeau of throwing the ethics commissioner under the bus. Source
  • Letter penned a day before Titanic sank sold at U.K. auction

    World News CTV News
    LONDON - A letter written by one of the Titanic's passengers a day before the ocean liner sank has sold for £126,000 ($166,000 US) at an auction in England. The handwritten note, on embossed Titanic stationery, was penned by first-class passenger Alexander Oskar Holverson on April 13, 1912 -- the day before the ship hit an iceberg and sank in the North Atlantic, killing more than 1,500 onboard. Source
  • 'Trifecta of rain storms' triggers flooding fears in B.C.

    Canada News CTV News
    Rainfall warnings remain in effect for parts of B.C.’s Lower Mainland, with wet weather to continue on Sunday for the already-saturated region. Environment Canada cautions residents to prepare for localized flooding, particularly in Howe Sound and Fraser Valley. Source
  • Drama expected at Bergdahl sentencing hearing

    World News CTV News
    Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, right, arrives for a motions hearing on Monday, Oct.16, 2017, on Fort Bragg. Bergdahl, who walked off his base in Afghanistan in 2009 and was held by the Taliban for five years, is charged with desertion and misbehavior before the enemy. Source