Top German court opens hearings on bid to outlaw far-right party

BERLIN - Germany's highest court opened hearings Tuesday on a bid to outlaw the country's biggest far-right party, which officials accuse of promoting a racist and anti-Semitic agenda - a second attempt to secure what would be the first ban on a party for 60 years.

See Full Article

The German parliament's upper house, which represents the country's 16 state governments, applied at the end of 2013 for a ban on the National Democratic Party, or NPD. They say it violates the constitution and are keen to cut off the state funding to which political parties are entitled.

A decade earlier, the Karlsruhe-based Federal constitutional Court rejected a first attempt to ban the party because paid government informants within the group were partially responsible for the evidence against it. Officials say there's no evidence from informants in the new case.

Bavaria's interior minister, Joachim Herrmann, told n-tv television that "the NPD is a danger to our democracy." He added that "the NPD benefits from state financing of parties - that means that tax money is abused for neo-Nazi propaganda."

The head of Germany's main Jewish group, Josef Schuster, said the NPD wants to create a state "in which there is no place for minorities."

The NPD isn't represented in Germany's national parliament, though it does have a single seat in the European Parliament and lawmakers in one eastern German state legislature.

Opening three days of hearings, chief justice Andreas Vosskuhle told the court that the case was "a special challenge." He stressed that judges must refrain from "any political evaluation" and consider only legal aspects.

Only two parties have previously been banned in West Germany and reunited Germany, the last of them the German Communist Party in 1956.

The case comes amid concern over anti-migrant rhetoric and attacks on refugee accommodation as Germany deals with a large influx of migrants.

Federal Justice Minister Heiko Maas said that the case is groundbreaking but the court "will not relieve us of the job of fighting the far right, however the case goes."

Peter Richter, a lawyer representing the NPD, sought as the hearing began to have two of the eight judges removed for alleged bias against the party.

The court typically takes several months to deliver rulings.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Donald Trump to skip Kennedy Center arts awards [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    BRIDGEWATER, N.J. — In a break with tradition, President Donald Trump and the first lady have decided not to participate in events honouring recipients of this year’s Kennedy Center Honors arts awards to “allow the honourees to celebrate without any political distraction,” the White House announced Saturday. Source
  • Death of an American Fuhrer

    World News Toronto Sun
    George Lincoln Rockwell’s ambitions were undiminished by reality. He wanted to be the American Fuhrer. A despot who would rid the United States of blacks, Jews and their commie fellow-traveling supporters. The 49-year-old fanatic had spent years building the American Nazi Party but all around there were traitors, cannibals ready to eat the emperor of the new order. Source
  • Train derails in northern India, killing at least 23

    World News CTV News
    LUCKNOW, India -- Six coaches of a passenger train derailed in northern India on Saturday, killing 23 people and injuring at least 81, officials said. Two of the coaches telescoped into each other, while four others toppled over after going off the track, said Arvind Kumar, a top official in Uttar Pradesh, the state where the derailment occurred. Source
  • Woman's flag ripped away as thousands march through Boston [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    BOSTON — Conservative activists and leftist counterprotesters prepared for a confrontation on Boston Common that could draw thousands a week after a demonstration in Virginia turned deadly. Police Commissioner William Evans said Friday that 500 officers — some in uniform, others undercover — would be deployed to keep the two groups apart on Saturday. Source
  • Butt patrol: Ont. cop dispensing $110 fines for tossed cigarettes

    Canada News CTV News
    A Barrie, Ont. police officer is on a crusade against careless smokers. “Thirty-three per cent of most of the world’s trash thrown out onto the roads are cigarette butts,” Const. Mark Casey, a former smoker himself, told CTV Barrie. Source
  • Police separate 500 neo-Nazis, opponents at Berlin protest

    World News Toronto Sun
    BERLIN — Some 500 far-right extremists marched Saturday in Berlin in honour of the 30th anniversary of the death of top Nazi Rudolf Hess — and they were separated by hundreds of heavily armed police from an equal number of counter-demonstrators. Source
  • Canadian government delegation marking 75th anniversary of Dieppe raid

    Canada News CTV News
    DIEPPE, France -- Veterans Affairs Minister Kent Hehr is leading a Canadian government delegation to France to mark the 75th anniversary of the Dieppe raid during the Second World War. The raid, launched on Aug. Source
  • Finland stabbings 'a likely terror act;' Ties to Spain eyed [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    HELSINKI — The knife attack in western Finland that left two people dead and seven others wounded is “a likely terror act,” Finland’s intelligence agency said Saturday, while police said Europol was investigating if it had any ties to deadly vehicle attacks in Spain. Source
  • Suspect arrested in killing, wounding of Florida officers

    World News Toronto Sun
    KISSIMMEE, Fla. — A suspect in the fatal shooting of a police officer in Florida and the grave wounding of a sergeant was arrested several hours after the attack in a bar, authorities said Saturday. Everett Miller faces a charge of first-degree murder for the killing of Officer Matthew Baxter and could face other charges for the wounding of Sgt. Source
  • Liquor stores closed in Turkmenistan's capital for a month

    World News CTV News
    ASHGABAT, Turkmenistan -- Liquor stores have been closed down and alcoholic products taken off the shelves of food stores in the capital of Turkmenistan ahead of a major international athletic completion next month. Merchants at several stores told The Associated Press on Saturday that authorities had ordered alcohol sales be halted until October, after the Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Games conclude. Source