Nepal to extend permits of 2015 Everest climbers

KATHMANDU, Nepal - Nepal has extended the permits of climbers who were unable to climb Mount Everest last year due to an earthquake-triggered avalanche that killed 19 people at a base camp in hopes of bringing back western climbers to the world's highest peak.

See Full Article

Mountaineering Department official Gyanendra Shrestha said Tuesday that the climbers can attempt to climb the world's tallest peak this year or next year without paying new fees.

The April 25 earthquake last year killed thousands of people in Nepal and triggered a massive avalanche at the base camp that forced climbers to abandon their climbs.

Climbers have to pay $11,000 each for a climbing permit from the Nepalese government, which is generally valid for one season that runs from March to May.

Sixteen people were killed by an avalanche that swept the climbing route in 2014 and another 19 died in 2015 when the earthquake-triggered avalanche buried the base camp in the two worst natural disasters on Everest.

The back-to-back disasters have been worrying for Nepal, which earns millions of dollars from permit fees in an industry that employs tens of thousands of people like guides, porters and equipment suppliers.

"It is a welcome move from the government that we hope will help bring back the climbers to the mountains," said Ang Tshering of the Nepal Mountaineering Association.

Expedition companies that guide and equip the climbers were happy with the decision.

"We are encouraged by the permit extension. This will help the local climbing businesses to once again get back on their feet after two bad years," said Temba Tsheri of the Sherpa Khagri Outdoors agency in Kathmandu, who lost three foreign clients and two local workers last year.

Since Everest was conquered by New Zealander Edmund Hillary and his Sherpa guide Tenzing Norgay in 1953, the peak has been climbed by thousands of people, but hundreds have also died on its unpredictable slopes.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Scaramucci accuses Priebus of being leaker: He's a 'f---ing paranoid schizophrenic' [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — New White House communications director Anthony Scaramucci went after chief of staff Reince Priebus Thursday as a suspected “leaker” within the West Wing in a pull-no-punches interview that laid bare the personality clashes and internal turmoil of Donald Trump’s presidency. Source
  • Woman sought in Calgary quadruple homicide taken into custody in Toronto

    Canada News CTV News
    Calgary police say a woman they've been seeking in a quadruple homicide earlier this month has been taken into custody in Toronto. Yu Chieh Liao, who goes by Diana Liao, is considered a person of interest in killings police have described as brutal and ruthless. Source
  • Thrill ride OK’d hours before deadly state fair accident [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    COLUMBUS, Ohio — Inspectors repeatedly looked over a thrill ride while it was assembled at the Ohio State Fair and signed off on it hours before it flew apart in a deadly accident that flung passengers through the air, according to authorities and records released Thursday. Source
  • FBI: Utah man says he killed wife because she laughed at him

    World News Toronto Sun
    ANCHORAGE, Alaska — A Utah man killed his wife aboard an Alaska cruise ship and told an acquaintance who later walked into the couple’s blood-splattered room that he did it because she laughed at him, the FBI said in documents released Thursday. Source
  • RCMP to review investigation into death of woman who plunged down hotel chute

    Canada News CTV News
    REGINA - The RCMP is now reviewing the Regina police department's investigation into the death of a 29-year-old who plunged 10 stories down a hotel laundry chute. Regina police spokeswoman Elizabeth Popowich says in an email that Chief Evan Bray made a public commitment to the family of Nadine Machiskinic that his department would welcome an independent review. Source
  • Trans-rights activist Morgane Oger on Trump’s ban, her own experience

    Canada News CTV News
    After U.S. President Donald Trump tweeted that transgender Americans were no longer allowed to serve in the military, there was an outpouring of support for transgender rights and anger among activists. “What a coward. Source
  • Women accused of poisoning North Korea's Kim Jong-nam arrive at Malaysia court

    World News CBC News
    In this combination of March 1, 2017, file photos, Indonesian suspect Siti Aisyah, left, of Indonesia, and Doan Thi Huong, of Vietnam, are escorted out of court by police officers in Sepang, Malaysia. Source
  • Thieves shut down oilfield lease site after causing $1-million damage: police

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    An oilfield site west of Edmonton had to be closed after thieves took copper wire and caused more than $1 million in damage, police said. Mounties estimate the thieves made off with about $200,000 worth of copper wire from the Obsidian Energy site near Cynthia, a town about 150 km west of Edmonton, after breaking in at around 3:30 a.m. Source
  • U.S. orders diplomats' families to leave Venezuelan capital

    World News CTV News
    Venezuela's President Nicolas Maduro waves the Venezeulan flag during a rally in Caracas, Venezuela, Thursday, July 27, 2017. (AP Photo/Ariana Cubillos) Source
  • MUHC looking into death of Indigenous woman who left hospital

    Canada News CTV News
    The McGilll University Health Centre (MUHC) is looking into the care given to an Indigenous woman who died two months after she was told it would cost more than $1,000 to see a doctor because she didn’t have a medical insurance card. Source