Thai police vow to tighten security after brutal assaults on French tourists

BANGKOK -- Police said Monday they will have to tighten security on an island in eastern Thailand after four French tourists were brutally assaulted, including two women who were raped.

See Full Article

The attack raises fresh concern about tourist safety in Thailand, which hosted a record 29 million visitors last year.

Police had the five Cambodian suspects in the attack on Koh Kut reenact the crime, a standard procedure in Thai justice. Irate residents tried to attack the men but police pushed them away. Police say they will press charges of rape and conspiracy to assault against the five, whom they claim have confessed their involvement.

"We don't have a lot of criminal cases in Koh Kut, not even robbery," Koh Kut deputy police chief Lt. Col. Suraporn Thepsen said in an interview by phone. "The perpetrators are not local people and they just anchored their boat to avoid strong winds. We will have to tighten security in Koh Kut."

A director of the hospital where the victims were taken after the Saturday night attack said their condition has improved, with the most badly injured one moved out of the intensive care unit on Sunday. The women, ages 57 and 28, are mother and daughter. The two men, one from the same family, are 30 and 29 years old.

The hospital official, who insisted on anonymity, said one of the three admitted patents had a broken nose and scratches, another a broken arm and swollen face and the most seriously injured person had cuts on the head and bleeding inside the skull.

Trat province police chief Maj. Gen. Nopparat Rintapon said the five suspects had jumped off their anchored fishing boat and swam to Koh Kut after they had been drinking. Two of them met the French tourists and began talking to them, when the other three came running from the brush where they had been hiding and attacked them with knives and sticks, slashing one of the men badly while the other was able to escape and run to a nearby hotel for help.

Nopparat said about 50 police and other officials and local residents cordoned off the area, and at around 4 or 5 a.m. on Sunday managed to capture three of the suspects. The other two were arrested Sunday afternoon at a border checkpoint when they tried to cross into Cambodia.

Tourist safety in Thailand has become a major issue since the murders of a British man and woman whose bodies were found on the southern Thai resort island of Koh Tao in September 2014. The woman had also been raped. A court sentenced two Myanmar migrants to death in December in a case battered by concerns that the convicted men may have been scapegoats, and that police did not conduct a competent investigation.


Latest Canada & World News

  • Oland's Supreme Court bail case expected to proceed, no matter what happens with murder conviction ruling

    Canada News CBC News
    Dennis Oland's bail appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada is expected to proceed on Oct. 31, even if a decision from the New Brunswick Court of Appeal on his second-degree murder conviction makes the hearing a moot point for him. Source
  • University groups try to stave off offensive Halloween costumes

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Geishas are out. Feathered headdresses are forbidden. And if you're planning to wear a Bill Cosby or Caitlyn Jenner costume, you may not be welcome at your Halloween party of choice. A growing number of institutions are starting to take a more proactive approach to potentially offensive outfits by developing strategies and even explicit policies to prevent people from donning controversial getups. Source
  • Widows of Boko Haram victims say aid overdue to Nigeria

    World News CTV News
    MAIDUGURI, Nigeria -- After her husband was killed by a Boko Haram suicide bomber late last year, Hajjagana Mbasaru was forced to pull her children from school and rely on friends to feed them. Like other widows of civilians fighting the Islamic extremists in northern Nigeria, she spent long months waiting for any kind of government support. Source
  • Thousands flood Cameroon hospitals in search of injured from train crash

    World News CTV News
    YAOUNDE, Cameroon -- Thousands of Cameroonians have been flooding hospitals in the capital, Yaounde, and the largest city, Douala, looking for corpses and survivors after an overloaded train derailed Friday, killing more than 70 people and injuring 600. Source
  • Russian police kill 2 terror suspects, recover bomb: reports

    World News CTV News
    MOSCOW -- Russian news reports say police have killed two suspected terrorists in a shootout in a central Russian city and that a bomb was found in the suspects' car. The reports on state television and state news agencies RIA Novosti and Tass said the shooting started Sunday afternoon when police stopped a suspicious vehicle in Nizhny Novgorod, a city 400 kilometres (250 miles) east of Moscow. Source
  • Trump's agenda overshadowed by lawsuit threats, accusations, personal spats

    World News CTV News
    GETTYSBURG, Pa. -- Donald Trump is laying out an ambitious agenda for his first 100 days as president but pointedly noting that he will find time to sue the numerous women who have accused him of groping and other unwanted sexual behaviour. Source
  • Ballot selfies: Personal choice or illegal act?

    World News CTV News
    TRENTON, N.J. -- Most Americans probably already know whether they'll vote for Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton on Election Day, leaving one important question to consider when they walk into their polling places: Is it OK to take a picture of the ballot? Source
  • Iraqi, Kurdish forces join to drive ISIS from Mosul

    World News CBC News
    Iraqi and Kurdish forces launched a new offensive Sunday on a town near Mosul as part of a massive operation aimed at retaking the country's second largest city from the Islamic State group. The Kurdish forces, known as peshmerga, said they launched a dawn offensive on two fronts to the northeast of Mosul, near the town of Bashiqa. Source
  • Rafferty to appeal Tori Stafford murder conviction

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- The man convicted of killing eight-year-old Victoria Stafford seven years ago will ask Ontario's top court for a new trial Monday, trying to pin the blame on his accomplice. Michael Rafferty was sentenced to life in prison in 2012 with no chance of parole for 25 years for kidnapping, sexual assault causing bodily harm and first-degree murder in the death of the Woodstock, Ont. Source
  • N.B. village still cut off weeks after excavator fell through bridge

    Canada News CTV News
    An excavator that fell through a historic bridge in New Brunswick earlier this month is still there, raising safety concerns for those in the area. The excavator remains in the same place where it fell, leaving the 102-year-old covered bridge in French Village, N.B. Source