KKK members linked to violent brawl released

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Five Ku Klux Klan members who were arrested following a vicious brawl in Anaheim were released because evidence shows they acted in self-defence, police said.

See Full Article

Seven people who remained in custody were seen beating, stomping and attacking the Klansmen with wooden posts, Sgt. Daron Wyatt said Sunday.

A police statement said the clash, which erupted after six Klan members arrived at a park Saturday for a planned anti-immigration rally, was started by a larger group of 10 to 20 counter-protesters who had "the intent of perpetrating violence."

Police said the Klansmen stabbed three counter-protesters with knives and the decorative end of a flag pole.

"Regardless of an individual or groups' beliefs or ideologies, they are entitled to live without the fear of physical violence and have the right, under the law, to defend themselves when attacked," the statement said.

Mayhem ensued Saturday as soon as the Klan members pulled up in a black SUV for an anti-immigration rally they had advertised in advance and pulled out signs saying "White Lives Matter."

Dozens of protesters swarmed in and someone smashed a window. The SUV then sped away, leaving three Klansmen dressed in black shirts decorated with the Klan cross and Confederate flag patches outnumbered.

"(The counter-protesters) were so angry, they would have torn these folks limb from limb," said Brian Levin, who directs the Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism at California State University, San Bernardino. "I was afraid for their lives."

Levin, who went to Pearson Park expecting to record the rally for research, found himself protecting the Klansmen until police could intervene. On a video Levin shot and posted to Twitter, he later asked one of them, "How do you feel that a Jewish person helped save your life today?"

"I thank you. I thank you," said the Klansman, waving away the question with his blood-spattered arm. "I would have saved a colored man's life," he added.

Much of the clash was captured on video and posted online. In one, a man cries "I got stabbed," lifting his T-shirt to show a wound to his stomach. A fire hydrant where the man briefly sat was covered in blood.

Like many other cities across the United States, Anaheim has a history intertwined with the KKK. What sets the city apart, however, is its decisive backlash after the Klan gained four of five City Council seats in 1924. Those Klansmen were ousted in a recall election after their affiliations with the Klan became public and following a nighttime KKK initiation rally that attracted an estimated 10,000 people to the city park where Saturday's violence erupted.

"The only reason we remember Anaheim for the Klan is because they fought the Klan so hard," said Phil Brigandi, an Orange County historian and author. "The more the Klan came out of the shadows, the more people became aware of it and the opposition grew."

In the near century since then, Anaheim has gone from 95 per cent white to become 53 per cent Hispanic and 27 per cent white, according to data with the U.S. Census Bureau.

"We're a far cry from those terrible times and the Klan is really an anachronism," Levin said. "Anaheim is now a diverse community that is in many ways an amusement and sports capital of California. This is just an example of how a small group of people can tarnish the name of a community."

Rosa Madrigal, who was at the park Sunday with her husband and three children, said she was shocked to even hear about the KKK holding a rally in Anaheim, let alone the violence that ensued.

"I didn't even think it was true when I heard it," said Madrigal, 25. "It's crazy, especially in a park where you take your kids."

When the melee started, Levin said he saw no uniformed officers.

Wyatt said police were there and engaged with people at one end of the fight, and called for additional resources to deploy to the other end. The event stretched along an entire city block, he said.

Police Chief Raul Quezada said his officers were able to respond quickly enough to arrest all but one of the main participants, a counter-protester who remains at-large.

The Klan members were booked for investigation of assault with a deadly weapon before being released. The seven people who remained in custody were booked for assault with a deadly weapon or elder abuse for stomping on a Klan member who's older than 65 years old, Wyatt said.

Though the Klan members were released, prosecutors will review the case and decide whether to file criminal charges, he said.

Chris Barker, who identified himself as the imperial wizard of the Loyal White Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, told The Associated Press by phone from North Carolina that his members were holding a peaceful anti-immigration demonstration and acted in self-defence.

"If we're attacked, we will attack back," said Barker, whose organization lists Pelham, N.C., as its headquarters. Last year, the group drew headlines when it protested the removal of the Confederate flag from the South Carolina Capitol.

Nationwide, the number of active KKK groups increased to 190 in 2015 after falling in 2013 and 2014, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center, which tracks hate groups.

In January 2015, packets containing fliers from the "Loyal White Knights of the Ku Klux Klan" and condemning the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. were left in the driveways of about 40 homes in Santa Ana, about 8 miles south of Anaheim.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Are Kim’s accused killer cuties just patsies?

    World News Toronto Sun
    One of the alleged female assassins who sent North Korean despot Kim Jong-un’s half-brother to the morgue posted photos of herself frolicking in a bikini and performing on a TV talent show. As more details emerge about the brazen hit on Kim Jong-Nam at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport Feb. Source
  • 'We invited the pool'; White House defends decision to bar news outlets from press briefing [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    The White House has downplayed the decision Friday to block various news organizations from an off-camera briefing, saying the press pool was there. News organizations including the New York Times, the Los Angeles Times, CNN and Politico were blocked from joining a White House media gaggle, according to news reports. Source
  • Despite diagreements, Trump-era Republican party united in hating its foes

    World News Toronto Sun
    NATIONAL HARBOR, United States — Donald Trump has just finished a speech at the country’s biggest annual gathering of conservatives, and outside in the hallway a group of young men are debating where they agree and disagree with the president. Source
  • Efforts to stop anonymous sources clash with U.S. 1st Amendment

    World News CTV News
    President Donald Trump railed against the news media Friday, saying reporters shouldn't be allowed to use anonymous sources. He said he's been a target of unrelenting criticism by unnamed people, and he predicted that negative stories would "dry up like you've never seen before" if anonymous sources were jettisoned. Source
  • Contracts for border wall with Mexico awarded by April

    World News Toronto Sun
    SAN DIEGO — U.S. Customs and Border Protection said Friday that it plans to start awarding contracts by mid-April for President Donald Trump’s proposed border wall with Mexico, signalling that he is aggressively pursuing plans to erect “a great wall” along the 2,000-mile border. Source
  • Thousands of northern B.C. patients' X-rays, CT scans and ultrasounds may have been misread

    Canada News CBC News
    Thousands of patients in northwestern B.C. are being told their X-ray, CT scan and ultrasound results may have been improperly analysed. The images were taken at Terrace's Mills Memorial Hospital between October, 2016 and January, 2017. Source
  • Quebec broadens inquiry into Montreal police force

    Canada News CTV News
    MONTREAL -- The Quebec government is broadening its investigation into allegations of corruption and wrongdoing within the Montreal police force. Public Security Minister Martin Coiteux says municipal forces from Quebec City, Longueuil and Gatineau will help provincial police because the number of allegations has risen in recent days. Source
  • U.S. to stop using 'ISIL' in favour of 'ISIS'

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- The change of U.S. administrations has produced a change of terminology in the war against the Islamic State group. Out goes the name preferred by the Obama administration: the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, or ISIL. Source
  • Authorities say fire was intentionally set at Florida mosque

    World News CTV News
    TAMPA, Fla. -- An intentionally set fire damaged a prayer hall at a Tampa-area mosque early Friday, investigators said. The arson occurred at the Islamic Society of New Tampa, Hillsborough County Fire Rescue said in a news release. Source
  • Alexandru Radita's parents guilty of first-degree murder in 15-year-old son's death

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    Rodica and Emil Radita intentionally killed their teenage son by withholding critical life-saving medical attention, a judge ruled Friday. Justice Karen Horner said both parents were guilty of first-degree murder in the death of 15-year-old Alexandru. Source