UN chief says Syria truce holding despite growing breaches

BEIRUT -- UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said a shaky cease-fire in Syria is holding "by and large" despite sporadic fighting that continued across Syria and growing accusations of violations that threatened to derail the truce, now in its third day.

See Full Article

Speaking to reporters Monday in Geneva, Ban confirmed receiving a letter from the High Negotiations Committee, the main umbrella opposition group, complaining of continuing violations by the Syrian government and its Russian and Iranian backers.

The letter sent Sunday urged the UN to help "specify the territory covered by the truce to prevent hostilities in the designated inclusion zones."

The Russia-U.S.-brokered cease-fire that went into effect at midnight Friday excludes the Islamic State group as well as al-Qaida's branch in Syria, the Nusra Front. The cease-fire has significantly reduced violence across the war-ravaged country, bringing some respite to civilians particularly from airstrikes.

But accusations of breaches by both sides threaten to torpedo the deal, which aims at bringing back the Syrian government and the opposition to peace talks in Geneva next week. Ban told reporters he wanted the cease-fire extended beyond the initial planned duration of two weeks.

The UN also said it plans to deliver life-saving humanitarian assistance to about 154,000 people living in besieged locations inside Syria over the next five days. A briefing note sent out by OCHA Monday said the assistance will include food, water and sanitation supplies, as well as non-food items and medicine to people trapped in besieged areas.

Aid deliveries are a main opposition demand ahead of the planned resumption of Syrian peace talks in Geneva on March 7. An attempt to start indirect peace talks between the sides collapsed earlier this month over escalating violence in the country, including a massive Russian-backed government offensive in Aleppo.

Fighting in Aleppo continued Monday. Lebanon's militant Hezbollah group said it had recovered the body of a senior commander, Ali Fayyad, who was killed during fighting in the region. The Shiite group who fights alongside Assad's forces in Syria said body of the commander, locally known as Haj Alaa, was recovered Sunday night in an operation in which Syrian army and Hezbollah special forces took part.

Fayyad is a Hezbollah veteran who has led major battles against the Israeli army in south Lebanon. Lebanese media say he was among four Hezbollah fighters killed in Aleppo last week.

The opposition on Sunday reported air raids on several parts of northern Syria and warned that continued violations would jeopardize the planned resumption of UN-brokered peace talks.

Riad Hijab, who heads the HNC, a Saudi-backed opposition group, said in the statement directed to Ban that Russian, Iranian and government forces have not stopped hostilities since the truce went into effect.

Hijab said there had been 24 cases of shelling and five cases of ground attacks. He added that Russian warplanes carried out 26 airstrikes on Sunday alone targeting rebels that are abiding by the truce.

The French foreign minister called for a meeting "without delay" of a task force to monitor a cessation of hostilities in Syria following reports of air strikes targeting the moderate opposition.

Jean-Marc Ayrault made the comments Monday shortly before addressing a meeting of the Human Rights Council in Geneva. UN special envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura has already been planning a meeting of the task force, led by the United States and Russia, later in the day.

Ayrault told reporters he planned to discuss the "attacks including by air" with de Mistura and Ban. Critics say Russia and Syrian forces have been targeting the moderate opposition.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Parents jailed for 'gifting' daughter to man who sexually assaulted her

    World News CTV News
    DOYLESTOWN, Pa. -- A Pennsylvania judge on Wednesday sentenced a married couple to up to seven years in prison each for giving their oldest daughter to a cult-like figure who sexually assaulted the girl and her five sisters. Source
  • At least two killed, 55 injured after explosion hits food shop in China

    World News CTV News
    BEIJING - A massive explosion hit a food shop in eastern China during the breakfast rush Friday, killing two people and injuring 55, 12 of them seriously, officials said. Video from a security camera located down the street from the shop in the eastern resort city of Hangzhou showed the blast flinging dust and debris across a major road traversed by cars, buses, bicycles and scooters. Source
  • As McCain fights brain cancer, Republicans will vote without their 'consummate dealmaker'

    World News CBC News
    A devastating diagnosis that might sideline a key Republican legislator indefinitely isn't just complicating plans to advance U.S. President Donald Trump's agenda, political analysts say. It's also sidelining one of the few influential Republican critics of the administration. Source
  • B.C. wildfire state of emergency hits two-week mark

    Canada News CTV News
    KAMLOOPS, B.C. - Today marks two weeks since raging wildfires that have displaced thousands of people British Columbia forced the province to call a state of emergency. On Wednesday, Premier John Horgan said he would extend the order for an additional two weeks since many of the 43,000 people who had to flee their homes in the province's Interior will not yet be able to return. Source
  • Teens from Burundi robotics team may have 'self-initiated' vanishing

    Canada News CTV News
    MCLEAN, Va. - Organizers of an international robotics competition in the U.S. capital believe the disappearance of six teens from Burundi may have been "self-initiated." As the competition was wrapping up Tuesday, their chaperone discovered his kids were missing. Source
  • Woman to be sentenced for trying to hire hit man to kill newlywed husband

    World News CTV News
    WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - A former Florida escort convicted of trying to hire a hit man to murder her newlywed husband could get up to 30 years in prison when she is sentenced Friday, perhaps ending a drawn-out case that drew notice for its startling videos and salacious characters. Source
  • 'Justine did not have to die': Minneapolis police chief addresses shooting of woman who called 911

    World News CBC News
    The fatal shooting of an Australian woman by a Minneapolis, Minn., police officer responding to her 911 call "should not have happened," police Chief Janee Harteau said, adding that the officer's actions "go against who we are in the department. Source
  • Israel limits Muslim access to Jerusalem site amid tensions

    World News CBC News
    Israel banned Muslim men under the age of 50 from a contested Jerusalem shrine on Friday, ahead of expected protests over the installation of metal detectors there. Police reinforcements poured into Jerusalem's Arab neighbourhoods in the morning, particularly in an around the walled Old City where the shrine is located. Source
  • Even after Trump warning, Mueller likely to probe president's finances: reports

    World News CBC News
    U.S. President Donald Trump's growing anxiety about the federal Russia probe has spilled into public view with his warning in a New York Times interview earlier this week that special counsel Robert Mueller would be out of bounds if he dug into the Trump family's finances. Source
  • In South Sudan, a child soldier long thought dead comes back

    World News CTV News
    JUBA, South Sudan -- She had no body to bury, so the grieving mother kneeled in the dirt outside her small hut, recited psalms and simply traced her finger over the uneven earth. It was December 2015, a year after Nyayan Koang’s boy was abducted by government soldiers at the age of just 14 to fight in South Sudan’s army. Source