Knife-wielding man slashes 10 kids at school in south China

BEIJING -- A knife-wielding man slashed 10 children outside a primary school in southern China before killing himself Monday, police said.

See Full Article

None of the children suffered life-threatening injuries during the attack in the southern city of Haikou, but two were seriously hurt in the attack, media reports said.

An official at Haikou's Longhu police station said the schoolchildren were stabbed as they walked out of the Yang Fan Primary School during their lunch period. She declined to give further details, saying the case was under investigation.

Knife attacks against schoolchildren have become fewer in recent years after Chinese schools were hit by a rash of mass stabbings roughly five years ago. The attacks, mostly carried out by disaffected perpetrators with mental illnesses, sparked outrage among Chinese parents who demanded enhanced security at schools and, for a while, prompted nationwide discussion of what caused them.

Although Chinese leaders made public acknowledgments that there were underlying social tensions that contributed to the crimes, several of the incidents were censored by state media for fear of copycat attacks, while online discussions were also blocked.

In one of the deadliest cases, a 42-year-old man killed eight children at an elementary school in Fujian province in 2010.

Because of tight restrictions on gun ownership, large knives and cleavers are the most frequently used weapons in mass attacks in China



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • China says it will inspect kindergartens after chilling abuse report

    World News CBC News
    Dozens of upset parents gathered today outside a kindergarten in Beijing run by a U.S.-listed company to demand answers, after reports emerged alleging some children had been molested, abused and left with what appeared to be needle marks on their bodies. Source
  • Woman wants charge of killing twin in cliff crash dismissed

    World News CTV News
    HONOLULU -- A murder charge against a woman accused of deliberately driving off a cliff in Hawaii and killing her identical twin sister should be dismissed because prosecutors misled the grand jury that indicted her, a defence attorney said. Source
  • 'I'm glad it's going slowly — You don't deserve a bullet:' Uma Thurman slams Harvey Weinstein

    World News CBC News
    Actress Uma Thurman has posted icy American Thanksgiving tidings for disgraced movie mogul Harvey Weinstein and his "wicked conspirators." "I am grateful today, to be alive, for all those I love, and for all those who have the courage to stand up for others," Thurman began in a Thursday Instagram post featuring an image of her as the vengeance-seeking Bride character from the film Kill Bill. Source
  • Germany's SPD party, under pressure, warming to idea of coalition government

    World News CBC News
    Germany's Social Democrats bowed to pressure from across the political spectrum on Friday to help form a new government led by Chancellor Angela Merkel, but pledged that party members would have final say on any deal. Source
  • Winnipeg mother whose children were abducted to Mexico speaks out

    Canada News CTV News
    When Emily Cablek’s ex-husband abducted their two children and whisked them away to Mexico five years ago, she says she never gave up and never stopped searching for them. Four years later, thanks to a Crime Stoppers video that aired in Mexico and a keen-eyed neighbour, Cablek’s two children were found. Source
  • Santa won't write individual letters to schools, home delivery remains the same

    Canada News CTV News
    Canada Post says Santa won't be sending as many personalized letters to kids this year, though he still wants to make sure he responds to every note he receives. The postal agency says many children write letters to Santa both from home and from school, which gave Santa and his elves a total of 1.6 million notes to reply to last year. Source
  • Despite report of explosion, Argentina accelerates seach for missing sub

    World News CTV News
    BUENOS AIRES, Argentina -- Argentina says it's accelerating the search for a submarine that has been lost in the South Atlantic for nine days amid growing fears for its 44 crew members. The navy says an explosion occurred near the time and place where the sub went missing on Nov. Source
  • Argentina: Search for missing sub accelerates despite blast

    World News CTV News
    BUENOS AIRES, Argentina -- The round-the-clock international search for a submarine that has been lost in the South Atlantic for nine days is accelerating amid growing fears for its 44 crew members. The Argentine navy says an explosion occurred near the time and place where the sub went missing on Nov. Source
  • After four day search on the tundra, missing man and boy walk into Nunavut community

    Canada News CBC News
    The man and boy who were missing while travelling from Igloolik to Hall Beach, Nunavut were found safe, after being lost and out on the land for more than four days. Paul Sr. Quliktalik, and Mark Qulitalik,13, set out on the approximately 70-kilometre journey shortly after 10 p.m. Source
  • Scrutiny for P.E.I. immigration program: 'The rules, apparently, don't apply'

    Canada News CTV News
    CHARLOTTETOWN -- From her Charlottetown fitness studio, Wendy Chappell has watched a parade of new, immigrant-owned businesses open in nearby storefronts. She was excited to have newcomers open up shop around her, but watched in disappointment as their companies -- including a Chinese children's book store, a porcelain shop, a store that sold reproductions of art, and a baked goods store -- closed over the last two-and-a-half years. Source