3 former utility executives charged in Fukushima disaster

TOKYO -- Three former Japanese utility executives have been formally charged for alleged negligence in the Fukushima nuclear disaster, becoming the first ones from the company to go to criminal court.

See Full Article

National broadcaster NHK reported that a group of court-appointed lawyers on Monday indicted Tsunehisa Katsumata, chairman of Tokyo Electric power Co. at the time of the crisis, along with two other TEPCO executives. The three men, charged with professional negligence, were not arrested.

The indictment follows a decision by an 11-member judicial committee in July to send the three men to criminal court after prosecutors had dropped the case.

Experts say it may be difficult to prove criminal responsibility for failing to prevent the Fukushima meltdowns, but many people including the residents affected by the disaster say they hope that any trial would reveal more facts about the disaster and TEPCO's role that the utility has not disclosed.

The committee said in July that the three men neglected to take sufficient measures even though they were aware of the risk of a tsunami at the Fukushima plant. It said they should be charged with professional negligence resulting in death and injury during the accident and its aftermath, including the deaths of dozens of senior citizens in a hospital who died during and after the lengthy evacuation.

The Tokyo District Court has since selected a team of five lawyers to act as prosecutors to formally press charges in court.

Three reactors at the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant damaged in the March 2011 earthquake and tsunami suffered meltdowns, triggering massive radiation leaks that forced tens of thousands of people to evacuate.

Government and parliamentary investigative reports have said TEPCO's lack of a safety culture and weak risk management, including an underestimate of tsunami threats, led to the disaster. They said TEPCO ignored tsunami safety measures amid collusion with then-regulators and lax oversight.

TEPCO has said it could have been more proactive on safety measures, but that a tsunami of the magnitude that crippled the plant could not be anticipated.

While struggling with a cleanup at the wrecked Fukushima plant that will take decades, TEPCO is hoping to restart two reactors at the Kashiwazaki-Kariwa plant in northern Japan.

The disaster resulted in Japan taking all of its nuclear power reactors offline for checks. Of the 43 workable reactors in Japan, three have been put back online since last year, while the remaining are still offline for repairs or safety checks.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Manchester bomber identified as local man of Libyan descent

    World News CTV News
    MANCHESTER, England -- The man who police say blew himself up in a packed concert arena in Manchester, killing 22 people, did not make a strong impression on his neighbours. Residents of the Manchester suburb of modest brick semi-detached homes where 22-year-old Salman Abedi lived remembered seeing the tall, thin young man who often wore traditional Islamic dress. Source
  • 'It was just sheer chaos': Ariana Grande fans describe attack

    World News CTV News
    MANCHESTER, England -- Rihanna Hardy had been excited about seeing Ariana Grande ever since she got her concert ticket as a gift at Christmas. So when the day came, the 11-year-old left school a couple of hours early to make sure to get to Manchester Arena on time. Source
  • Uber admits to underpaying NYC drivers by millions of dollars

    World News CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Uber has admitted to underpaying its New York City drivers tens of millions of dollars for the past 2 1/2 years. The ride-hailing company on Tuesday said each affected driver would get a refund of about $900, which includes interest. Source
  • N.S. boy clothes the homeless to cope with father's tragic death

    Canada News CTV News
    Ken Gordon was known for dropping everything to help anyone who needed it. The 54-year-old was killed at the side of a Nova Scotia highway while checking the cargo in the back of his truck in March. Source
  • Montreal schizophrenia patients face their demons through virtual reality

    Canada News CBC News
    A pilot project at Montreal's Philippe-Pinel Institute has patients with schizophrenia confronting voices that torment them by way of a virtual reality experience. The project, developed by psychiatrist and researcher Alexandre Dumais, allows patients to create computer-generated avatars that look and talk like the demons they face inside their heads. Source
  • OPP officer charged with criminal harassment and 2 counts sexual assault

    Canada News CTV News
    SMITHS FALLS, Ont. - An eastern Ontario provincial police is facing charges in an ongoing domestic investigation. They say the investigation stems from incidents that are alleged to have occurred while the officer was off duty. Source
  • Online threat against Sophie Grégoire Trudeau leads to arrest of Lethbridge woman

    Canada News CBC News
    A Lethbridge, Alta. woman is facing charges after allegedly posting threats online against Sophie Grégoire Trudeau, wife of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. The RCMP's Integrated National Security Enforcement Team based in Alberta — K-INSET — was alerted to the threats made against the Canadian government on May 11 and an arrest was made the next day. Source
  • 'Keep your kids close': Winnipeg parents give tearful plea after son drowns

    Canada News CBC News
    The parents of a nine-year-old boy who drowned over the weekend have a desperate plea to other parents as they prepare to say goodbye to their beloved son one last time.Boy who died in Rushing River was from WinnipegPolice investigate boy's death in Rushing River Provincial Park?"Just keep your kids a little closer and love them up a little more because shit could change in a minute," said Trevor Thomas. Source
  • Thunder Bay, Ont., police chief charged with breach of trust, obstructing justice

    Canada News CTV News
    ORILLIA, Ont. -- The police chief of a northwestern Ontario city is facing charges following a five-month investigation into alleged criminal wrongdoing. Ontario Provincial Police say Jean Paul Levesque, 53, of Thunder Bay, Ont. Source
  • Two men in Indonesia caned dozens of times for having gay sex [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    BANDA ACEH, INDONESIA - Two men in Indonesia’s Aceh province were publicly caned dozens of times Tuesday for consensual gay sex, a punishment that intensifies an anti-gay backlash in the world’s most populous Muslim country and which rights advocates denounced as “medieval torture. Source