Neil Bantleman held in cell with 300 other prisoners, wife says

The wife of a Canadian school teacher acquitted of abusing children at a private school in Indonesia says she is "outraged" after the Southeast Asian country's Supreme Court overturned the decision.

See Full Article

Neil Bantleman and his fellow teacher Ferdinand Tjiong were sentenced to 10 years in prison last April for allegedly abusing three children. Both appealed to the country's High Court and they were acquitted in August.

But that acquittal was overturned on Wednesday and Bantleman turned himself in to Indonesia custody.

In an appearance on CTV News Channel Sunday, his wife Tracy Bantleman said she was "shocked" and "outraged" by the decision.

"The decision that was made by the Supreme Court was simply rushed reckless and unjust," said Bantleman.

"When he found out he was absolutely shattered."

Bantleman said the family's lawyers have spoken to her husband and told her he is "OK."

"He has shown such bravery in the face of a blatant injustice. I'm extremely proud of this honourable man," she said.

"He is incredible for what he has had to do for a second time: Go back into prison being innocent."

After communicating with authorities through the Canadian Embassy, Bantleman returned from Bali to surrender.

He was then admitted to Cipinang Penitentiary Institution in Jakarta, where Tjiong was also placed in custody.

Bantleman said the next step is to ensure her husband's safety inside the prison.

"Right now he is being held in a cell with 300 other prisoners – this is not a safe location," she said.

Once they have received an official copy of the Supreme Court's verdict, which can take up to a month, Bantleman said the couple's lawyers can file a judicial review through the district court.

Both Bantleman and Tjiong worked at the Jakarta International School, which is now called the Jakarta Intercultural School.

The institution's ranks include the children of foreign diplomats and expatriates from about 60 countries along with Indonesia's elite.

The school's principal and a number of other teachers have said they believe Bantleman is innocent.

Last December, five janitors at the school who were arrested in the same case were sentenced to up to eight years in jail. Police said a sixth suspect in that group died of suicide.

Bantleman said part of the reason her husband didn't return to Canada after he was released in August was that he wanted to continue to fight on his colleague's behalf.

"Neil is going to fight this to the bitter end -- he is innocent. He will not leave (Tjiong) and the innocent cleaners," she said.

Bantleman said the prosecutor's office had also issued a travel ban and immigration officers held his passport, so leaving required their co-operation.

She added that his travel ban expired on February 21, and media coverage indicated that the prosecution pushed the Supreme Court to make a decision around the time of its expiry.

Foreign Affairs Minister Stephane Dion said earlier this week that the Canadian government was "shocked" by Supreme Court's decision, and that the case "was not handled in a fair and transparent manner."

Dion added that Canada would continue to raise Bantleman's case at the highest levels and officials would provide him with consular assistance.

On Sunday, Tracy Bantleman said she was "extremely pleased" with the government's response. She said its efforts helped ensure that her and husband were able to return to Jakarta safely.

"The Canadian government … has been outstanding in their approach, and I feel as though they will not give up on us,' she said.

"It is clear that they want to send a message to Indonesia that this must be corrected."

With files from The Associated Press



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Dieppe: Veterans return to site of Canada’s deadliest day in WWII

    Canada News CTV News
    More than 900 Canadian soldiers were killed in the French coastal town of Dieppe on August 19, 1942, the bloodiest day for Canada in the entirety of the Second World War. Saturday will mark the 75th anniversary of the Dieppe Raid. Source
  • Steve Bannon 'going to war' at Breitbart after Trump ousts White House Chief Strategist [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — Steve Bannon, a forceful but divisive presence in President Donald Trump’s White House, is leaving. Trump accepted Bannon’s resignation on Friday, ending a turbulent seven months for his chief strategist, the latest to depart from the president’s administration in turmoil. Source
  • John McCain completes round of radiation, chemo for brain cancer

    World News CTV News
    PHOENIX -- The daughter of U.S. Sen. John McCain of Arizona says the 80-year-old lawmaker has completed the first round of radiation and chemotherapy as he battles an aggressive form of brain cancer. Meghan McCain also tweeted Friday afternoon that her father's "resilience & strength is incredible. Source
  • U.S. denies Alberta man's request to visit sick mom with brain tumour

    Canada News CTV News
    A Canadian permanent resident is hoping for a miracle after the United States rejected his request to visit his ailing mother, who is suffering from a brain tumour. Alan Arellano grew up in San Diego, where his mother Theresa still lives. Source
  • Lucky loon sought out Alberta campers to save it from fishing gear

    Canada News CTV News
    NORDEGG, Alta. -- This is a story about one lucky loon. Don Gibson was standing with his family on a dock in Fish Lake Provincial Park in west-central Alberta last weekend when he noticed a normally standoffish loon -- one of a group of five that call the lake home -- swimming toward them. Source
  • Photographer faces $185M lawsuit over photos of underage ballet dancers

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    They were aspiring ballet dancers who travelled from Toronto and cities across Canada to realize their dreams at the renowned Royal Winnipeg Ballet School. But in a proposed $185 million class action lawsuit filed by Sarah Doucet of Toronto on behalf of her fellow underage students, she alleges they were coerced into posing for lurid photos by teacher Bruce Monk who then sold their images online without their knowledge or consent. Source
  • Canadian killed in Barcelona terror attack identified as PM confirms four others injured

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    OTTAWA — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has confirmed one Canadian was killed and four others were hurt Thursday when a van plowed into crowds of tourists on a popular street in Barcelona. Trudeau is offering his condolences to the family members and friends of those injured. Source
  • Dark day at Dieppe remembered 75 years later

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    There has never been a worse — or bloodier — day in Canada’s long, proud military history than Aug. 19, 1942. Seventy-five years ago today, 5,000 Canadians, accompanied by 1,000 British commandos and a handful of U.S. Source
  • Billionaire investor Carl Icahn steps down as Trump economic advisor

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump has lost another informal adviser from the business world: billionaire investor Carl Icahn, who gave the White House guidance on its deregulation efforts. Icahn said in a letter to Trump released Friday that he is stepping down to prevent “partisan bickering” about his unofficial role that Democrats suggested could benefit him financially. Source
  • Jihadists behind Barcelona terror attack

    World News Toronto Sun
    Moussa Oukabir was a “good boy.” Now, he’s toe-tagged in a Spanish morgue ventilated by police bullets. If not the mastermind behind the heinous slaughter of innocents in Barcelona, the 17-year-old has become the face of the ISIS cabal behind it. Source