Cruise ship damaged in storm forced to head back to home port again

BAYONNE, N.J. -- A cruise ship that was battered by a major Atlantic storm earlier this month was headed back to its home port Sunday as another squall and a norovirus outbreak threatened its current voyage.

See Full Article

Royal Caribbean tweeted on Saturday that the Anthem of the Seas ship will return to the port of Bayonne, New Jersey, "immediately to avoid a severe storm and provide guests with a comfortable journey back home."

"On a recent sailing, Anthem of the Seas experienced bad weather that was much worse than forecast; therefore, we want to be extra cautious about our (guests') safety and comfort when it comes to weather in the area." Cynthia Martinez, a spokeswoman for the Miami-based cruise line, told WNBC-TV in New York City. "That is why we have decided to head back to Cape Liberty immediately so that we can stay a safe distance from the storm."

John Turell, an executive with The Associated Press who is aboard the ship with his wife, said in an email that the ship's captain and its cruise director have made announcements about the norovirus. However, it's not clear how many people have been affected by the illness.

Representatives for the Miami-based cruise line have not responded to repeated requests for comment

"Sanitation levels on the ship have been boosted," said Turell, the AP's regional television executive for the Northeast. "(Ship) workers are scurrying around like ants, scrubbing down handrails, tables and any other surfaces that can be washed."

He noted that life aboard the ship "appears quite normal" other than the very visible increased sanitation efforts.

Turell said passengers were told Saturday night that the cruise was being cut two days short because of a storm developing off Cape Hatteras. As a result, planned stops in Barbados and St. Kitts were being skipped and the ship was expected to arrive at its home port on Wednesday morning.

The voyage's premature end comes just weeks after the Anthem of the Seas made headlines for another stormy incident.

The ship was damaged a day after it set sail on Feb. 6 when it encountered 9-metre waves and hurricane force winds, and its 4,500 passengers hunkered down for hours.

One passenger's lawsuit claims that people had to hold onto their beds to keep from falling and injuring themselves.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • False killer whale is latest cetacean to die at Vancouver Aquarium

    Canada News CTV News
    VANCOUVER -- The Vancouver Aquarium says the false killer whale it rescued off a beach over three years ago has died at the facility. The aquarium says in a statement that Chester's behaviour changed Wednesday and despite intensive veterinary care, he died this morning. Source
  • Senior Ukraine separatist: Rebel chief has resigned

    World News CTV News
    MINSK, Belarus -- A senior separatist official in eastern Ukraine on Friday announced the resignation of thebeleaguered rebel chief in an apparent palace coup, ending a four-day showdown between rivaling factions. Leonid Pasechnik, state security minister of the self-proclaimed Luhansk People's Republic, said in a statement on Friday evening that the republic's chief Igor Plotnitsky has resigned on health grounds. Source
  • Chester the false killer whale has died, Vancouver Aquarium says

    Canada News CBC News
    Chester the false killer whale, has died, according to the Vancouver Aquarium. "We are deeply saddened to announce his passing this morning," said aquarium president and CEO John Nightingale on Friday. Source
  • 3 UN peacekeepers, Malian soldier killed in jihadist attack

    World News CTV News
    BAMAKO, Mali -- Suspected jihadists attacked a UN peacekeeping position in northern Mali on Friday killing two peacekeepers from Niger and a Malian soldier and injuring 14 peacekeepers and a UN civilian contractor, authorities said. Source
  • Saudi coalition OKs resumption of UN flights to Yemen

    World News CTV News
    GENEVA -- The Saudi-led coalition that has imposed an air, sea and land blockade on war-battered Yemen since Nov. 6 has authorized the resumption of U.N. flights to the Yemeni capital starting Saturday, a U.N. Source
  • Basil Borutski found guilty in 2015 killings

    Canada News CTV News
    OTTAWA -- Basil Borutski, the man accused of killing three women in an hour-long, revenge-fuelled rampage across the Ottawa Valley two years ago, has been found guilty on two counts of first-degree murder and one of second-degree murder. Source
  • Borutski guilty in Ottawa Valley murder rampage

    Canada News CTV News
    OTTAWA -- Jurors found Basil Borutski guilty Friday on two counts of first-degree murder and one of second-degree murder in the deaths of three women killed two years ago during an hour-long, revenge-fuelled rampage across the Ottawa Valley. Source
  • Man ordered to pay $41K in fines for starting wildfires in northern Saskatchewan

    Canada News CTV News
    LA RONGE, Sask. -- A man who admitted he started several wildfires in northern Saskatchewan by flicking lit wooden matches into the forest has been fined tens of thousands of dollars. Donald Halkett Jr. Source
  • Calgary man found guilty in death of former girlfriend stabbed 75 times

    Canada News CTV News
    A 33-year-old Calgary man has been found guilty of second-degree murder in the stabbing death of his former common-law partner. After approximately eight hours of deliberation, the jury reached its verdict in the trial of Kevin Rubletz on Wednesday night. Source
  • Basil Borutski guilty of murdering 3 women in shocking killing spree

    Canada News CBC News
    Basil Borutski has been found guilty of murdering three of his former partners in a shocking one-day killing spree that's been called one of the worst cases of domestic violence in Canadian history. A jury of six men and five women returned the guilty verdicts on two counts of first-degree and one count of second-degree murder at 2:30 p.m. Source