Violence errupts at KKK rally in California

LOS ANGELES -- Dozens of protesters who heard about a planned Ku Klux Klan rally were waiting by a Southern California park when six Klansmen pulled up in a black SUV and took out signs reading "White Lives Matter.

See Full Article

" The KKK members were dressed in black shirts decorated with the Klan cross and Confederate flag patches.

The protesters immediately moved in, surrounding the Klansmen. Someone smashed the SUV's window, and then mayhem ensued.

Witness video captured the brawl just after noon Saturday in an Anaheim park about 3 miles from Disneyland. Several protesters could be seen kicking a KKK member. One Klansman with an American flag used the pole's tip to stab a man.

"I got stabbed," the man screamed, lifting his T-shirt to show a wound to his stomach. A fire hydrant where the man briefly sat was covered in blood.

By the time ordered was restored, three people had been stabbed, one critically. Five Klansmen were booked for investigation of assault with a deadly weapon, and seven of the approximately 30 counter-protesters were arrested on suspicion of assault with force likely to cause great bodily injury.

"I thought they were going to stomp these Klansmen to death," said Brian Levin, who directs California State University, San Bernardino's Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism. Levin, who was monitoring the protest, said he tried to intervene when "all hell broke loose," using his body to get between counter-protesters and Klansmen until officers were able to reach the scene.

Levin said he saw no uniformed officers when the melee started. Sgt. Daron Wyatt says police were definitely there and were engaged with people at one end of the fight, and called for additional resources to deploy to the other end. He says the event stretched along an entire city block.

Police Chief Raul Quezada said his officers were able to respond quickly enough to arrest all but one of the main participants, with the exception of one counter-protester who was still at large Sunday. Four of the arrestees were released after a review of video evidence, he said Sunday in a statement from the city.

"We will always honour free speech in Anaheim, but we vehemently reject hate and violent confrontation," Mayor Tom Tait said added. "Anaheim is proud to draw strength in its diversity, tolerance and kindness, and Saturday's events run counter to that.

A day earlier, Anaheim police had notified the public about the planned protest at Pearson Park and said they would be monitoring the situation. The department also noted that the KKK, like any other group, has a First Amendment right to assemble and demonstrate in a public park.

"Even if the vast majority of our community disagrees with a particular group who visits our city we cannot stop them from lawfully gathering to express their opinions," Quezada said. "Violence is not acceptable, and we will arrest anybody who assaults another person or commits any other crime in our city."

Chris Barker, who identified himself as the imperial wizard of the Loyal White Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, told The Associated Press by phone from North Carolina that his members were holding a peaceful anti-immigration demonstration and acted in self-defence.

"If we're attacked, we will attack back," said Barker, whose organization lists Pelham, N.C., as its headquarters. Last year, the group drew headlines when it protested the removal of the Confederate flag from the South Carolina Capitol.

The KKK has a long history in Anaheim. In the 1920s, several Klansmen held elected office in the city, which was overwhelmingly white but now has a majority of Hispanics among its roughly 350,000 residents.

In January 2015, packets containing fliers condemning the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. and supporting the Ku Klux Klan were left in the driveways of about 40 homes in Santa Ana, about 8 miles south of Anaheim. The fliers opened with the heading "On Martin Luther King Day, you are celebrating a communist pervert." The bottom of the fliers stated they came from the "Loyal White Knights of the Ku Klux Klan."

Nationwide, the number of active KKK groups increased to 190 in 2015 after falling in 2013 and 2014, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center, which tracks hate groups.

Giovanni Namdar, 25, who runs an auto body shop near Pearson Park, said he saw people speaking passionately on a stage before the violence broke out. He later saw a swarm of police cars and helicopters flood the area.

Namdar said he was stunned to learn about the KKK's presence in the area.

"It's pretty disturbing," he said.

Associated Press writer Daisy Nguyen contributed to this report.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Extension-cord mess cited in fire that killed N.B. mother, three sons

    Canada News CTV News
    ST. GEORGE, N.B. -- Fire investigators say a mess of extension cords, power bars and the failure of an electrical component were the likely cause of a fire that killed a New Brunswick woman and her three adult sons in April. Source
  • Scalise discharged from hospital, beginning rehabilitation

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- U.S. House Majority Whip Steve Scalise -- who was critically wounded in a shooting at a baseball practice last month -- has been discharged from a Washington hospital. MedStar Washington Hospital Center says the six-term Louisiana Republican was released from the hospital on Tuesday and is beginning "intensive inpatient rehabilitation. Source
  • Residential building collapses in Nigeria, killing at least 8

    World News CBC News
    A four-storey residential building collapsed in Nigeria's largest city killing at least eight people, including a child, emergency officials and an Associated Press photographer in Lagos said Wednesday. Authorities said at least 15 people had been rescued from the rubble of the building that collapsed Tuesday afternoon. Source
  • Jailbreak how-to: Inmates chronicle escape on cellphone mocking investigators

    World News Toronto Sun
    SANTA ANA, Calif. — Video shot with a contraband cellphone shows the escape of three inmates from a maximum-security wing of a California jail last year, as well as scenes from their days on the run. Los Angeles news station KNBC-TV, which aired parts of the footage Tuesday, says it was provided by an attorney connected to the case, and not by prosecutors. Source
  • Ohio executes Ronald Phillips, man convicted of rape and murder of three-year-old

    World News Toronto Sun
    LUCASVILLE, Ohio — Ohio is preparing to put a condemned child killer to death in the state’s first execution in more than three years. Forty-three-year-old Ronald Phillips is scheduled to die Wednesday at the Southern Ohio Correctional Facility in Lucasville. Source
  • Judge set to decide if Charlie Gard can die at home after appeal for U.S. treatment stalled [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    LONDON — A British judge is considering where Charlie Gard, a baby with a rare genetic disease, will spend the last days of his life. A High Court judge is expected to decide at a London hearing Wednesday whether his parents’ wish to take Charlie home to die will be granted. Source
  • Canadian boy, 7, stranded in Cuba after falling ill on vacation

    Canada News CBC News
    A Canadian mother and her sick son are desperate to get back home after an illness forced Cole Antinello, 7, off an airplane tarmac in Cuba, leaving them stuck in hospital and searching for answers. Source
  • Judge set to decide on where Charlie Gard's spends last days

    World News CTV News
    LONDON -- A British judge is considering where Charlie Gard, a baby with a rare genetic disease, will spend the last days of his life. A High Court judge is expected to decide at a London hearing Wednesday whether his parents' wish to take Charlie home to die will be granted. Source
  • Man accused of raping and impregnating 11-year-old girl says she may have raped him

    World News Toronto Sun
    SPRINGFIELD, Mass. — Prosecutors say a 38-year-old Massachusetts man charged with impregnating an 11-year-old girl denies raping the girl, and instead suggested that she might have become pregnant by having sex with him as he slept. The Republican newspaper reports that Justin Armstrong, of Springfield, was held on $50,000 bail after pleading not guilty Monday to forcible child rape. Source
  • Parents of critically ill baby request own hospice care team

    World News CTV News
    LONDON -- The parents of critically ill infant Charlie Gard conceded Wednesday that he will die in a hospice and not at home as they had previously wished. Connie Yates, the mother of the baby at the centre of an international medical and legal battle, returned to London's High Court for a hearing where a judge was expected to rule on where Charlie would spend the last days of his life. Source