5 dead in Washington state; gunman told police he shot his family

BELFAIR, Wash. -- A gunman who killed four people in rural Washington state called an officer he previously encountered to say he shot his family, leading to an hourslong standoff at a home Friday that ended with his suicide, authorities said.

See Full Article

A 12-year-old girl related to the victims survived and was taken to the hospital for an evaluation, Mason County sheriff's Chief Deputy Ryan Spurling said. Her condition was not immediately known.

"Apparently she's OK," Spurling said. "I don't know if this is a daughter, or step-daughter, or what the relationship is, but she escaped from the house."

The officer who took the shooter's call went to the home across Puget Sound from Seattle with another deputy. Authorities negotiated with the man for about three hours before a SWAT team entered the house in a heavily wooded area and found the bodies.

The gunman "apparently came outside the home and shot himself," Sheriff Casey Salisbury said. "It's a terrible tragedy."

Neither the gunman nor his four victims have been identified. Authorities did not detail the previous interaction between the shooter and the officer he called.

Jack Pigott, who lives down the road, said he heard gunshots Thursday night but none Friday.

The couple who lived in the house about 25 miles southwest of Seattle had been married for four or five years, Pigott said. The wife had two teenage sons who were adopted from Russia during a previous marriage. She also had a daughter who was adopted from China.

Pigott said the husband had a heating and air conditioning contractor business. He had recently been hospitalized, Pigott said, but he didn't know why. When he returned home, he was on a lot of medications, Pigott said of the man.

It was common for the family to do shooting practice, Pigott said, and that's what he thought of when he heard the gunfire.

"I was getting a load of wood into the house, and I hear some gunshots," he said. "Four or five, a pause and then another round."

Pigott said residents know each other in the area that has homes with large lots with room for horses.

"It's actually really scary because when you live out like this, you want to feel like your neighbours are someone you can rely on, not somebody you have to be afraid of because we are out in a secluded area," said another neighbour, Lynn Johnson.

The SWAT team went in around 12:30 p.m., Spurling said. Officers said they had 11 buildings to clear on the property but reported they had found the bodies shortly after entering the first building.

The shooting comes days after a 26-year-old man shot and killed his parents and two younger sisters before taking his own life at the family's home in Phoenix.

Associated Press reporters Donna Blankinship and Martha Bellisle in Seattle and photographer Ted Warren in Belfair contributed to this story



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Former CIA head to answer questions about Russian meddling

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- Former CIA Director John Brennan is set to testify publicly about the intelligence underpinning the Obama administration's conclusion that Russia interfered in the 2016 election and could shed light on concerns about the security risk posed by U.S. Source
  • Manchester death toll rises after suicide bomber at Ariana Grande concert kills 22 [Photos]

    World News Toronto Sun
    MANCHESTER, England — An apparent suicide bomber attacked an Ariana Grande concert as it ended Monday night, killing 22 people among a panicked crowd of young concertgoers, some still wearing the star’s trademark kitten ears and holding pink balloons as they fled. Source
  • Donald Trump: ‘Evil losers’ carried out deadly terrorist attack on Manchester concert goers [Photos]

    World News Toronto Sun
    BETHLEHEM - President Donald Trump on Tuesday condemned the “evil losers” responsible for a deadly attack on concert-goers in England and called on leaders in the Middle East in particular to help root out violence. “The terrorists and extremists and those who give them aid and comfort must be driven out from our society forever,” Trump said in Bethlehem alongside Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas. Source
  • British PM Theresa May calls Manchester concert bombing an act of 'appalling, sickening cowardice' [Photos]

    World News Toronto Sun
    LONDON — British Prime Minister Theresa May says the attack on a concert venue in Manchester Monday night “stands out for its appalling, sickening cowardice” Authorities say 22 people were killed and almost 60 wounded when an explosion went off at the end of a concert by American pop star Ariana Grande in the northern England city. Source
  • 'Choose your Quebec' campaign signs reinstalled in Montreal

    Canada News CTV News
    A controversial campaign poster put up by a candidate in the upcoming Montreal byelection has been reinstalled after some said it promotes racism. The sign, which was hung outside the Jean-Talon and Beaubien Metro stations, shows two images of the same woman wearing a toque with a Quebec flag in one, and wearing a Muslim niqab in the other. Source
  • Iconic Honest Ed's sign coming down starting Tuesday

    Canada News CTV News
    One of Toronto’s most recognizable signs will soon be no more. On Tuesday, work crews will begin to remove the flashy Honest Ed’s sign in downtown Toronto. The 23,000-bulb sign has welcomed discount bargain hunters to the intersection of Bathurst and Bloor Streets for decades. Source
  • 'Evil losers': Trump condemns Manchester attack

    World News CTV News
    BETHLEHEM, Palestinian Territory -- U.S. President Donald Trump on Tuesday condemned a deadly attack at a pop concert in Manchester, England as the act of "evil losers" and called on nations to band together to fight terrorism. Source
  • Manchester death toll rises after suicide bomber at Ariana Grande concert kills 22 [Photos] [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    MANCHESTER, England — An apparent suicide bomber attacked an Ariana Grande concert as it ended Monday night, killing 22 people among a panicked crowd of young concertgoers, some still wearing the star’s trademark kitten ears and holding pink balloons as they fled. Source
  • Donald Trump: ‘Evil losers’ carried out deadly terrorist attack on Manchester concert goers

    World News Toronto Sun
    BETHLEHEM - President Donald Trump on Tuesday condemned the “evil losers” responsible for a deadly attack on concert-goers in England and called on leaders in the Middle East in particular to help root out violence. “The terrorists and extremists and those who give them aid and comfort must be driven out from our society forever,” Trump said in Bethlehem alongside Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas. Source
  • Online 'sextortion' cases involving teen boys spiking: experts

    Canada News CTV News
    Child exploitation experts say they've detected a spike in reports of online "sextortion" cases involving teen boys.Scroll down or click here to vote in our poll of the day The Canadian Centre for Child Protection says 65 boys reported incidents to Cybertip.ca in 2015-16 - an 89 per cent increase from the previous two-year period of 2013-2014. Source