Thousands march in Moscow marking 1 year since death of Boris Nemtsov

MOSCOW -- Several thousand people have begun a march in Moscow in memory of Russian opposition leader Boris to mark the first anniversary of his killing.

See Full Article

Nemtsov was shot to death late at night as he and a companion walked across a bridge overlooking the Kremlin. The brutality so close to the centre of Russian power both frightened and angered supporters of the beleaguered opposition.

Nemtsov, who had been a prime minister during Boris Yeltsin's presidency, was a charismatic figure and a vehement critic of President Vladimir Putin.

"He was the embodiment of freedom and courage, he was a model for me," said marcher Kamala Igamberdiyeva, a 26-year-old accountant. "We still have a chance if the opposition shows wisdom and unites."

In Putin's decade-and-a-half in power, opposition groups have come under severe pressure, criticized by officials and state-controlled media as pawns of the West. Permission for rallies is frequently denied.

Many opposition supporters say that even if Putin had no direct hand in Nemtsov's killing, he bears responsibility for encouraging a truculent authoritarianism.

"Nemtsov's death was the result of the atmosphere of hatred in our country," said 78-year-old demonstrator Pavel Movshovich.

Five suspects have been arrested in the killing, all of them Chechens. The suspected triggerman served as an officer in the security forces of the Moscow-backed Chechen leader, Ramzan Kadyrov.

City authorities denied march organizers permission to hold a procession to the bridge, but gave permission for another route in central Moscow on Saturday.

On Saturday morning, U.S. Ambassador John Tefft laid a wreath at the bridge, saying he came to express hope that "some of the dreams that Boris Nemtsov had will come true in Russia."

In Ottawa, Foreign Affairs Minister Stephane Dion said Canada remembers Nemtsov's sacrifice and unwavering commitment to building a better future for Russians.

"On this sombre anniversary, we call on the Russian authorities to uphold the rights and freedoms for which Boris Nemtsov fought, strongly condemn all threats to Russian opposition leaders and activists, and bring to justice those who perpetrate acts of violence against such figures, including in the case of Boris Nemtsov," Dion said in a statement.

"Canada stands with its international partners in resolute support for human rights and accountable governance around the globe. Boris Nemtsov's life may have been tragically cut short one year ago, but his convictions and courage will continue to inspire us for years to come."



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • 'Why are you following me?' Video of Calgary man followed by Walmart security guard goes viral

    Canada News CTV News
    A Calgary man says he began recording a recent experience he had at a local Walmart after he says he was closely followed by a security guard. Jean Ventose, a 21-year-old University of Calgary student, says he picked up a pair of headphones from the electronics department when he noticed a security guard was following him. Source
  • Perez, Ellison head to second ballot in DNC race

    World News CTV News
    ATLANTA -- Democrats elected former Labor Secretary Tom Perez as their new national chairman on Saturday over a liberal Minnesota congressman after a divisive campaign that reflected the depths of the party's electoral failures as well as the energy from resistance to President Donald Trump. Source
  • Hockey hero homicide [Photos]

    World News Toronto Sun
    Thomas Clayton ticked the boxes for a podunkville jock on the slippery side of 40. He was handsome, gregarious, reckless and loved the ladies. This potent cocktail is a heady rush when you’re 20 – a disaster as a fully-formed adult. Source
  • Large sewage spill in Tijuana, Mexico, flows north of border

    World News CTV News
    LOS ANGELES -- Officials in Southern California are crying foul after more than 140 million gallons of raw sewage spilled into the Tijuana River in Mexico and flowed north of the border for more than two weeks, according to a report. Source
  • Germany: Man hits 3 with car and flees, is shot by police

    World News CTV News
    BERLIN -- A man apparently drove a car into pedestrians in a central square in the German city of Heidelberg on Saturday, injuring three people, then fled and was shot after being tracked down by officers, police said. Source
  • Florida man accused of stealing US$150,000 Maserati during test-drive

    World News Toronto Sun
    BOCA RATON, Fla. — A Maserati is missing after police say a man conned a salesman during a test drive. Boca Raton police say 45-year-old Michael McGilvary II went to a dealership to test drive a US$150,000 Maserati GranTurismo. Source
  • Man hits 3 with car in Heidelberg, Germany

    World News CBC News
    A man apparently drove a car into pedestrians in a central square in the German city of Heidelberg on Saturday, injuring three people, then fled and was shot after being tracked down by officers, police said. Source
  • Syrian cinematographer barred from U.S. ahead of Oscars; stars gather at unity rally

    World News CBC News
    U.S. immigration authorities are barring entry to a 21-year-old Syrian cinematographer who worked on a harrowing film about his nation's civil war, The White Helmets, that has been nominated for an Academy Award. According to internal Trump administration correspondence seen by The Associated Press, the Department of Homeland Security has decided at the last minute to block Khaled Khateeb from travelling to Los Angeles for the Oscars. Source
  • Wisconsin man gets 3 1/2 years for cutting off woman's finger to honour dead Insane Clown Posse fan [Photos]

    World News Toronto Sun
    GREEN BAY, Wis. — A Wisconsin man has been sentenced to 3 1/2 years in prison after pleading no contest last year to cutting off a woman’s finger as part of a ritual to honour a fellow rap music fan. Source
  • Homeland Security report downplays threat from 7 nations in Trump travel ban

    World News CBC News
    Analysts at the U.S. Homeland Security Department's intelligence arm found insufficient evidence that citizens of seven Muslim-majority countries included in President Donald Trump's travel ban pose a terror threat to the United States. A draft document obtained by The Associated Press concludes that citizenship is an "unlikely indicator" of terrorism threats to the United States and that few people from the countries Trump listed in his travel ban have carried out attacks or been involved in…