Russia halts Syrian airstrikes to secure cease-fire

MOSCOW -- Russia has grounded its warplanes in Syria to help secure a cease-fire brokered by Moscow and Washington that entered into force Saturday, a top military official said.

See Full Article

Lt.-Gen. Sergei Rudskoi of the General Staff of Russia's military said that while Russia will continue air strikes against the Islamic State group and al Qaeda's branch in Syria, Jabhat al-Nusra, it is keeping its aircraft on the ground for now "to avoid any possible mistakes."

Rudskoi said that 17 opposition units have contacted the Russian military to adhere to the truce that became effective at midnight local time.

He said the Russian military had established hotlines to exchange information with the U.S. military in order to help monitor the cease-fire and quickly respond to any conflict situations.

Rudskoi said that Russia has given the U.S. maps showing the location of opposition groups pledging to abide by the cease-fire as well as IS and al-Nusra units. He said 74 opposition units including more than 6,100 fighters have agreed to adhere to the truce.

The U.S., in its turn, also has provided the Russian Defence Ministry with similar maps and its own list of opposition units, which have agreed to respect the cease-fire.

Rudskoi said that a rebel unit that accidentally comes under attack should contact Russian or U.S. representatives who would quickly "take measures to end the violation and quickly de-escalate tensions."

"Russia is fully observing its obligations under the cease-fire," he said. "But it doesn't mean that the IS and Jabha al-Nusra militants can breathe a sigh of relief. The fight against bandit groups considered terrorist by the United Nations will continue."

He said that Russia is using 70 drones along with satellites and other intelligence means to monitor the situation in Syria.

The Russian co-ordinationcentre at the Hemeimeem air base in Syria's coastal province of Latakia where Russian warplanes are based has 61 officers, who negotiate with groups willing to join the cease-fire and co-ordinate the deliveries of humanitarian aid.

The centre chief, Lt.-Gen. Sergei Kuralenko, who spoke via a video link from the base, said fighting has stopped in 34 towns and villages in the provinces of Hama, Homs, Damascus. He added that his officers are currently preparing cease-fire documents for another 47 towns.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Ex-ski coach facing sex assault charges will learn his fate in June

    Canada News CTV News
    SAINT-JEROME, Que. -- A judge will hand down his verdict in June in the case of a former national ski coach charged with dozens of sex-related offences against girls and young women. Bertrand Charest's trial on 57 charges, including sexual assault and breach of trust, ended this week. Source
  • Canadian with alleged terror ties detained in Turkey

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    A Canadian man with alleged connections to a Daesh terrorist group has reportedly been arrested in Turkey. According to Turkish news site Daily Sabah, counter-terrorism police arrested Wassim Bouhadou at Adana Airport on Thursday. It's believed Bouhadou – who has dual Algerian-Canadian citizenship – was headed to Europe after traveling to Istanbul on March 10. Source
  • Police: MS-13 gang member deported four times abused child

    World News Toronto Sun
    HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. — A member of the MS-13 street gang who had been deported from the U.S. four times stabbed two women and sexually assaulted a 2-year-old girl in a New York City suburb, police said Thursday. Source
  • 'Overcrowded' Hamilton house near McMaster has 12 bedrooms

    Canada News CBC News
    At the end of a quiet cul-de-sac near McMaster University, a nondescript tan house sits on the edge of a ravine. It's zoned as a single-family home. But it has 12 bedrooms. Inside, a long, white hallway holds bedroom door after bedroom door, identified by gold numbers, each with its own lock. Source
  • Spring remains elusive in Atlantic Canada as gusty storm sweeps through

    Canada News CTV News
    HALIFAX -- Spring remained elusive in parts of the Maritimes on Thursday after a storm swept through the region, knocking out power and closing schools. The Canso causeway to Cape Breton was closed in the morning as a winter storm blasted the area, whipping up powerful gusts. Source
  • Inmates tunnel out of Mexican prison

    World News Toronto Sun
    MEXICO CITY — A group of 29 inmates tunneled their way out of a prison in the northern Mexico border state of Tamaulipas. One of the inmates shot to death a passing motorist in an apparent carjacking as part of the mass escape in the state capital, Ciudad Victoria. Source
  • Donald Trump Jr. called a 'disgrace' for slamming London Mayor Sadiq Khan after attack

    World News CBC News
    Donald Trump Jr. is facing criticism for a tweet sent in the hours after Wednesday's London attack that included a months-old comment from London Mayor Sadiq Khan that terror attacks are part of living in a big city, but left out that Khan was noting that residents need to "be prepared" for such attacks. Source
  • Belgium tightens security after driver tries to ram shopping area

    World News CBC News
    Belgian authorities tightened security Thursday in the port city of Antwerp after a Frenchman drove his car at high speed through a busy shopping area, forcing pedestrians to jump out of the way. French President François Hollande compared the incident to the attack in London that that left three people dead Wednesday, saying the Frenchman was "trying to kill people or create a dramatic event. Source
  • Paying more for booze, tobacco and even weed

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    Smoke? Drink? Take the bus? The federal budget delivered this week will leave you just a little less well off. While most of the budget tax hike targets are predictable — tobacco and alcohol — the Justin Trudeau government is also axing the popular Public Transit Tax Credit, saving Ottawa more than $200 million a year. Source
  • U.S. to approve Keystone XL pipeline

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — Senior U.S. officials say the State Department will recommend approval of the Keystone XL pipeline, clearing the way for the White House to formally approve it. Two officials say Undersecretary of State for Political Affairs Tom Shannon will issue the recommendation Friday. Source