No passage for Afghans on Balkan route into West Europe

VIENNA -- Suddenly, Afghans appear to be the new pariahs of Europe.

Despite fleeing attacks in their homeland from the Taliban and alleged Islamic State militants, their quest for a safer life is being blocked at border after border in Europe -- and no country along the route wants to take the blame.

See Full Article

"(Everyone) is passing the responsibility down the line," said UN refugee spokeswoman Melissa Fleming, who added that her organization had not been informed of who was behind the decision on turning back Afghan refugees, or why.

Macedonia, the entry point from Greece after migrants cross the sea from Turkey, says Serbia is at fault. Officials say they have been forced to turn away Afghans seeking to move on toward other countries in Western Europe because Serbia, on the country's northern border, is not letting them through.

Serbia says it's blocking the Afghans after holding talks with Slovenia to the north and with Austria, which borders Slovenia and represents the end of the Balkan migrant route for those fleeing war, violence and economic hardship in the Mideast, Africa or Asia.

But Slovenia and Austria insist their borders remain open to all nationalities seeking asylum and deny giving orders to other countries to shut out anyone.

"A chain of deportations ... (is) taking place all the way down the Balkan land route," said UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein, adding that Afghans stranded between Macedonia and Greece are exposed to "abject conditions."

"(These moves are) compounding the already exceptionally difficult situation in Greece," he added.

While no Europeans officials are willing to say why the Afghans are not being allowed to travel through, it would be difficult to claim that they, as a group, no longer qualify for asylum because security has improved back home.

In a report last month, the Pentagon's Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction said the Taliban now controls more territory in Afghanistan than at any time since 2001 and described the country as "even more dangerous than it was a year ago."

The UN mission in Afghanistan reported this month that of the 11,000 civilians killed and wounded in 2015, most were the victims of insurgents. It also said 10 per cent of the civilian casualties were women and 25 per cent were children.

Nine of at least 13 people killed Monday were civilians in the latest such attack -- a suicide bombing in Afghanistan's northern Parwan province.

Yet across Afghanistan, the greatest threat to stability is its failing economy. Economic growth has plunged from over 20 per cent a few years ago-- when international military and aid cash were pouring in -- to zero. The Afghan government has been incapable of creating jobs and investors shy away because of the lack of security. For the Afghan people, who are mostly under 25, this translates into a lack of hope for the future -- and has propelled so many to flee to Europe.

As the European border blame-game continues, the distress of Afghan refugees grows. At a Greek migrant camp, 24-year-old Jamshid Azizi said he tried to cross into Macedonia in the last few days but was sent back to Greece.

"It is very frustrating that they make the discrimination between Afghan asylum-seekers and Syrian asylum-seekers," Azizi said. "In Syria, there's war for five years. But in Afghanistan, there is war for more than three decades.

"If they want to block the road, they should block (it) for all," declared Azizi, who says he was an interpreter for NATO forces in Afghanistan, not an occupation looked upon kindly by the Taliban.

He and other Afghan refugees started getting rejected a week ago. Macedonian officials say Serbia acted first and their country followed four days later, barring all Afghan citizens from entry starting Tuesday. Serbia insists its borders are open -- but apparently to not to Afghans.

"Everyone can move in accordance with the rules set by Austria and Slovenia," said Serbian Labor Minister Aleksandar Vulin. "Serbia does not decide who can pass through its territory without consulting the states up the migrant route."

In Slovenia, Interior Ministry spokeswoman Vesna Drole said her government's policy is to let anyone wanting to apply for asylum in Austria or German cross its border regardless of nationality. Karl-Heinz Grundboeck, her Austrian counterpart, also said his country remains open to all seeking asylum -- as long as the number applying at its southern border does not exceed 80 people a day.

Asked who was behind the Afghan border pileup further south, he says "controls and decisions of other states are their responsibility."

At a meeting Monday in Vienna, regional interior and foreign ministers announced specific new border controls and warned that borders across Europe may close for all sooner or later.

The potential for chaos is huge. Nearly 17,000 Afghans passed through Macedonia last month. Close to 10,000 more followed in February until Monday. By Thursday, 854 Afghans were stuck at Macedonia's border with Serbia, and 300 more on Serbia's border to Croatia.

Down the chain, Afghans make up about 30 per cent of the roughly 2,000 new arrivals per day in Greece. That nation displayed its anger at other countries' unilateral border decisions by recalling its ambassador Thursday from Vienna.

At a Serbian crossing point into Croatia, from where migrants are taken by train to the Slovenian border, refugee agency field worker Giorgi Sanikidze said the regulations for who could come in are changing "on a daily basis."

Worst affected is Greece -- the entry point for the most of the more than 1 million migrants who arrived in Europe last year. The financially strapped nation has already seen over 100,000 more refugees come in so far this year and its migration minister, Ioannis Mouzalas, expects the number of stranded migrants in his country to reach "tens of thousands."

As the bloc's 28 interior ministers met in Brussels to assess the rapidly deteriorating situation, EU migration chief Dimitris Avramopoulus warned that "the unity of the union and lives -- human lives -- are at stake."

Camped out in Athens as he waited for the Macedonian border to open, Aman Golestani, a 22-year-old Afghan psychology student, expressed those fears in even starker terms.

"The Taliban are killing people like us," he said.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Caroline Kennedy says she's missed JFK every day of her life

    World News CTV News
    BOSTON -- U.S. President John F. Kennedy's daughter reminisces about her father in a new video released ahead of what would have been his 100th birthday. Speaking about her father in the video released by the JFK Library in Boston, Caroline Kennedy says she has "thought about him and missed him every day" of her life. Source
  • Grace McCarthy, influential B.C. cabinet minister for 3 decades, has died

    Canada News CBC News
    Grace McCarthy, the grand dame of B.C's Social Credit Party, has died. McCarthy, dubbed "Amazing Grace" by the members of her own party, was a cabinet minister in the governments of all three Social Credit premiers and is credited with revitalizing the party after its first electoral defeat to the NDP in the 1972 provincial election. Source
  • Man pleads guilty in crash that killed Mountie in British Columbia

    Canada News CTV News
    COLWOOD, B.C. -- A man whose truck slammed into an RCMP officer's cruiser killing a 32-year-old constable has pleaded guilty to two charges in a Victoria-area court. Kenneth Fenton pleaded guilty to impaired driving causing death and dangerous driving causing death in court Thursday in Colwood, B.C. Source
  • Sudbury becomes city with largest number of nuisance bear technicians in Ontario

    Canada News CBC News
    Sudbury, Ont., is getting more support to deal with its long-standing nuisance bear issue. The provincial government announced on Thursday it is doubling the number of local technicians available over the summer to help police assess bear sightings and immobilize the animal if it becomes aggressive. Source
  • Man wins new sex-assault hearing due to trial lawyer's poor performance

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- A man convicted of sexually assaulting two girls deserves a new hearing because he was blindsided at trial about a statement he had given to police, Ontario's top court has ruled. In its reasons for overturning the conviction, the Court of Appeal faulted the man's lawyer for multiple failures around the statement -- including having failed to even review it. Source
  • Video released of two men in brazen Toronto murder [Video]

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    A video of two hooded men brazenly gunning down a man in a Toronto parking lot has been released in hopes of identifying the killers. Leonard Pinnock, 33, of Hamilton, Ont. was shot Friday, April 21 at 9:30 p.m. Source
  • Royals to kick off Canada 150 visit in Nunavut

    Canada News CBC News
    The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall will kick off their Royal tour for Canada 150 in Iqaluit. It will be the first official visit to Nunavut by the Royal couple, although Prince Charles visited the region in 1970, when Iqaluit was still a part of the Northwest Territories. Source
  • Families of missing, murdered women urge critics to get behind national inquiry

    Canada News CTV News
    OTTAWA -- Families of missing and murdered women are raising their voices in defence of the national public inquiry as it faces a stream of criticism from advocates and indigenous leaders. Bernie Williams, who has spent more than 30 years on Vancouver's Downtown Eastside raising awareness about missing and murdered indigenous women, is urging families to keep faith in the process. Source
  • Obstruction charge stayed against woman who gave water to slaughter-bound pigs

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- An Ontario woman recently found not guilty of mischief after giving water to pigs headed to slaughter has scored another legal victory in a separate case involving pigs. Ontario's Ministry of the Attorney General says it has stayed one charge of obstructing police and one charge of breach of recognizance against Anita Krajnc. Source
  • SCC won't hear appeal of man convicted of torturing roommate

    Canada News CTV News
    OTTAWA -- An Alberta man who tortured and starved his roommate is not getting a chance to appeal his conviction before Canada's top court. The Supreme Court on Thursday dismissed Dustin Paxton's request to challenge a 2016 ruling from the Alberta Court of Appeal which upheld a guilty verdict of aggravated assault and sexual assault. Source