Malaysian woman sues over Flight 370, more lawsuits expected

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia -- A woman who lost her husband on Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 sued the airline and the government Thursday at the beginning of an expected rush of lawsuits before a filing deadline next month on the second anniversary of the plane's disappearance.

See Full Article

The Boeing 777 carrying 239 flew far off course for unknown reasons after leaving Kuala Lumpur for Beijing on March 8, 2014. A search of the southern Indian Ocean has found no trace of the plane, though a wing part from the aircraft washed ashore on Reunion Island last year.

A global aviation agreement sets a two-year deadline for lawsuits by next-of-kin over air accidents.

Malaysian K.Sri Devi, 32, her two young sons and parents-in-law are seeking 32 million ringgit ($7.6 million) in damages over the alleged wrongful death of S.Puspanathan, due to alleged negligence and breach of contract by the airline and government agencies, lawyer Shailender Bhar said.

The lawsuit also named the immigration department, as well as the civil aviation department and the Malaysian air force, for losing track of the plane.

"They were waiting for some development in the search for the plane but nothing has been forthcoming so far. Everyone is hoping for some answers through the court," Bhar told The Associated Press.

An Australian-based woman, Jennifer Chong, whose husband Chong Ling Tan was on the flight, filed similar claims in Australia last week, alleging the airline was negligent in failing to ensure passengers' safety.

Lawyer Arunan Selvaraj, who said he is representing next-of-kin of 15 passengers, expects to file lawsuits next week. He said some families were negotiating for settlements with the airline but the approaching deadline means most are under pressure to file a claim.

"Till today, the only thing they had found was the flaperon. There are no other clues. Many people are still in denial and there are so many theories as to what had happened. Families want justice and the truth," Arunan said.

A Boeing 777 flaperon was found on an island in the western Indian Ocean in July and confirmed by the Malaysian and French governments to come from the ill-fated flight. Drift modelling has shown that currents could have carried the debris from the southern Indian Ocean to Reunion Island in the timeframe between the flight date and when the part was found.

But no other parts of the plane have been found and the current search is expected to end by June or July.

An international aviation agreement allows each next-of-kin of passengers on board a plane up to $175,000 in compensation, but a plaintiff filing a lawsuit can seek more.

Arunan said next-of-kins, however, face hurdles in filing lawsuits.

The airline holding company, Malaysia Airlines Systems (MAS), was dissolved in a massive restructuring last year and was replaced with a new entity, Malaysia Airlines Berhad (MAB).

Next-of-kins must first seek consent from the administrator of MAS to sue the airline.

The administrator, Mohammad Faiz Azmi, said in a statement Wednesday he had given consent to 96 next-of-kins and that he had not rejected any requests.

He said 42 collected "full compensation" so far, without giving details.

Arunan, however, said conditions were attached to the consent given to some of his clients, including not naming MAB or any third parties in their lawsuit.

"Why is the administrator protecting third parties? What happens if the civil aviation department or the air force was found to be at fault and we didn't name them in the suit?" he said.

Some next-of-kins are also concerned that by not naming MAB, they may not receive payment even if they win the suit as MAS may not be able to pay, he added.

Voice 370, a next-of-kin support group, said in a statement this week that all monies, assets and airline business have been transferred to MAB and there may be nothing left in MAS to sue them. It called the move to shield the airline a "despicable act of irresponsibility and cowardice."



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Philippine forces fight to retake city besieged by ISIS linked terrorists [Photos]

    World News Toronto Sun
    MARAWI, Philippines — Philippine forces control most of a southern city where militants linked to the Islamic State group launched a bloody siege nearly a week ago, authorities said Monday, as the army launched airstrikes and went house-to-house to crush areas of resistance. Source
  • Woman plans to trek 15,000 km for Canada's 150th [Video]

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    TORONTO - Melanie Vogel may already feel like a Canadian, but she still wants to walk 15,000 kilometers across the landscape on a personal mission for the nation’s 150th anniversary. Vogel, who permanently moved to Canada in 2008 from Dresden, Germany, is gearing up for the monstrous cross-Canada journey on May 31, departing from St. Source
  • Artist depicts world leaders as desperate migrants

    World News CTV News
    A Syrian artist is highlighting the plight of his people with a series of striking paintings that cast some of the world’s most powerful leaders as powerless refugees. The paintings depict such figures as U.S. Source
  • Quebecers head to polls for by-election in Montreal riding of Gouin

    Canada News CTV News
    MONTREAL -- Quebecers are voting in a provincial byelection Monday in the Montreal riding of Gouin, where a former student activist running for the left-wing Quebec solidaire party is heavily favoured to win. Ex-student leader Gabriel Nadeau-Dubois is up against 13 candidates including the Liberals' Jonathan Marleau, a former president of the party's youth wing. Source
  • Defence minister says Canada will extend Indian Ocean commitment to 2021

    Canada News CTV News
    OTTAWA -- Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan says Canada will extend its commitment to maritime security in the Red Sea, the Arabian Sea and the Indian Ocean with ships and personnel. He says Operation Artemis will be extended until the end of April 2021. Source
  • Attorney General to propose safe zones around Ontario abortion clinics

    Canada News CBC News
    Ontario Attorney General and Ottawa Centre MPP Yasir Naqvi plans to propose a bill that would create safe zones around abortion clinics. Naqvi made the announcement Monday morning alongside Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson and Ottawa city councillor Catherine McKenney, saying policies like this are more important than ever in a polarized society. Source
  • JFK's life, legacy to be celebrated on his centennial

    World News CTV News
    BOSTON -- The life and legacy of President John F. Kennedy, who died at 46, will be celebrated on the day he would have turned 100. The United States Postal Service plans to commemorate Kennedy's centennial Monday with a dedication of a new JFK postage stamp in Brookline, Massachusetts, a Boston suburb where the late president was born on May 29, 1917. Source
  • British intelligence re-examines suicide bomber's file in light of Manchester attack

    World News CBC News
    Britain's intelligence agency, MI5, has begun an internal review of how it handled intelligence on Manchester suicide bomber Salman Abedi, who was known to the authorities but not under active investigation, a source told Reuters on Monday. Source
  • Paris 'Afro-feminist' festival that bars white people draws racism accusations

    World News Toronto Sun
    Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo has strongly criticized a black feminist festival in Paris that bans non-black people in large parts of the event, saying she might call for the prosecution of its organizers on grounds of discrimination. Source
  • Alleged serial semen lobber Manuel Banuelos-Alcala arrested in Portland following string of incidents

    World News Toronto Sun
    An accused serial semen lobber has been charged with third-degree sex abuse in Portland. Manuel Banuelos-Alcala was arrested last week after cops spotted him inside a parked car outside a Safeway on the city’s south side. The 47-year-old is accused of targeting the same woman in two separate incidents at the supermarket – once last November and again in April. Source