U.S. and China agree on new North Korea sanctions: UN diplomats

The United States and China have reached agreement on a U.N. resolution that would impose tougher sanctions on North Korea as punishment for its latest nuclear test and rocket launch, U.N.

See Full Article

diplomats said Wednesday.

One Security Council diplomat called the draft resolution "significantly substantive" and expressed hope that it will be adopted in the coming days. Another said the draft had been circulated on Wednesday to the three other permanent council members -- Russia, Britain and France.

The Security Council is scheduled to hold closed consultations Thursday afternoon on compliance with the North Korean sanctions resolutions, and the U.S.-China draft could be discussed then with the 10 non-permanent council members.

Both diplomats spoke on condition of anonymity because all discussions on the proposed resolution have been private.

Their comments follow a flurry of activity in Washington, including meetings between China's Foreign Minister Wang Yi and U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry on Tuesday, and with National Security Adviser Susan Rice on Wednesday afternoon.

National Security Council spokesman Ned Price said Rice and Wang agreed "on the importance of a strong and united international response to North Korea's provocations, including through a U.N. Security Council resolution that goes beyond previous resolutions."

"They agreed that they will not accept North Korea as a nuclear weapons state," Price said.

Earlier on Wednesday, Kerry told a Congressional hearing: "We're on the brink of achieving a strong United Nations Security Council resolution."

North Korea started off the new year with what it claims was its first hydrogen bomb test on Jan. 6 and followed that up with the launch of a satellite on a rocket on Feb. 7 that was condemned by much of the world as a test of banned missile technology.

Over the past 10 years, North Korea has conducted four nuclear tests and launched six long-range missiles -- all in violation of Security Council resolutions.

South Korea's U.N. Ambassador Oh Joon has urged the Security Council to adopt "extraordinary" measures to make clear to the North "that it will no longer tolerate its nuclear weapons development."

The U.S., its Western allies and Japan, also pressed for new sanctions that go beyond the North's nuclear and missile programs. But China, Pyongyang's neighbour and supporter on the council, is reluctant to impose measures that could threaten the stability of North Korea and cause the country's economy to collapse.

Wang said Tuesday that a new U.N. resolution alone cannot resolve the North Korean nuclear issue and that dialogue was needed.

He said China was urging a "parallel track" in which there were both talks on denuclearization -- the top priority of the United States -- and replacing the armistice that ended the 1950-53 Korean War with a formal peace treaty, a key demand of Pyongyang.

While the U.S. and China were discussing a new U.N. resolution, the United States took tougher steps of its own against North Korea, tightening sanctions and announcing it will hold formal talks with South Korea on deploying a missile defence system that China fears could be used against it as well North Korea.

South Korea and Japan have also announced new measures against Pyongyang.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Record-breaking Canadian sniper saved Iraqi lives according to special forces general

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    OTTAWA — The sniper who shattered the record for the longest confirmed kill also saved lives, the deputy commander of Canadian special forces said. Brig.-Gen. Peter Dawe told The Canadian Press on Wednesday that fighters from the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant were gathering for an attack on an unsuspecting Iraqi military unit when the Canadian commando fired the 3.5-kilometre shot. Source
  • NAFTA lawsuits target Canada most, U.S. hasn't lost yet

    Canada News CTV News
    OTTAWA - When it comes to the North American Free Trade Agreement, Canada can safely claim the title of biggest loser in terms of lawsuits. Since the agreement came into force in 1994, Canada has been sued 39 times by foreign companies claiming Canadian policies have violated their rights under NAFTA. Source
  • $1.2B flood protection, makeover project annouced for Toronto waterfront

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- A portion of Toronto's waterfront is set to undergo a nearly $1.2 billion flood protection project that will lead to a makeover of the area. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne and Mayor John Tory announced the Toronto Port Lands Flood Protection project at a joint news conference on Wednesday. Source
  • CTV National News Chief Anchor Lisa LaFlamme inducted to Order of Ontario

    Canada News CTV News
    Lisa LaFlamme, chief anchor and senior editor of CTV National News, has been appointed to the Order of Ontario, the province’s highest honour. LaFlamme received the honour in a ceremony Wednesday in Toronto alongside 25 other inductees. Source
  • Cybertip.ca warns parents about Snapchat's new map feature

    Canada News CBC News
    A Canadian child protection group is warning parents about a new feature in a popular app that could allow predators to track teens. Cybertip.ca, a program run by the Canadian Centre for Child Protection, sent out a Cybertip alert on Tuesday about a new Snapchat feature called Snap Map. Source
  • Iqaluit prepares for royal visit by Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall

    Canada News CTV News
    IQALUIT, Nunavut - The City of Iqaluit is gearing up for the arrival of the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall, who are expected to land Thursday from the U.K. on a Canadian Forces Airbus. Source
  • Arizona wildfire forces thousands of people from their homes

    World News CTV News
    PRESCOTT VALLEY, Ariz. -- A wildfire burning Wednesday through a dense Arizona forest has forced thousands of people from their homes, closed a major road and created a huge plume of smoke over the same area devastated by a blaze that killed 19 firefighters four years ago. Source
  • 'Freedom!': Driver plows down Ten Commandments at Arkansas Capitol on Facebook Live [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    LITTLE ROCK, Ark. — A man yelled “Freedom!” as he crashed his vehicle into Arkansas’ new Ten Commandments monument early Wednesday, nearly three years after he was arrested in the destruction of Oklahoma’s monument at its state capitol, authorities said. Source
  • 'Don't expect much'; Peter Mansbridge's sign-off from 'The National' will be low-key

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    TORONTO — Peter Mansbridge doesn’t want to make a fuss about leaving the anchor’s chair at CBC’s “The National.” Nearly a year after telling viewers he planned to retire from the public broadcaster’s flagship program, the 68-year-old newsman who defined an era at CBC News plans to sign-off for the final time with little fanfare. Source
  • Trump heading to France for Bastille Day celebrations

    World News CBC News
    U.S. President Donald Trump plans to celebrate Bastille Day in France. The White House announced Wednesday that Trump has accepted French President Emmanuel Macron's invitation to help celebrate France's national holiday on July 14. Macron invited Trump to visit when they met for the first time at a NATO summit in Brussels in late May. Source