3 men convicted of theft in 1st trials over Cologne crimes

BERLIN -- Two men were convicted of theft and given suspended sentences Wednesday in the first trials for New Year's Eve crimes in the German city of Cologne.

See Full Article

A third suspect was convicted under juvenile law and put on probation.

The spate of thefts and assaults on women near Cologne's main station, blamed largely on foreigners, caused public uproar as Germany faces a huge influx of migrants. More than 1,000 criminal complaints were filed, more than 400 of those alleging sexual crimes.

Neither of Wednesday's trials involved allegations of sexual assaults. Names were not released in accordance with German privacy laws.

The Cologne district court handed a 23-year-old Moroccan asylum-seeker a six-month suspended sentence and a 100-euro ($110) fine for stealing a cellphone from a woman as she photographed the city's cathedral, and for possessing drugs.

In a separate trial, a 22-year-old Tunisian was given a three-month suspended sentence for theft. The court found he distracted a man on a bridge near Cologne's main station while his 18-year-old Moroccan co-defendant stole a bag containing a camera.

The younger man, who the court said also committed three thefts nearly a year ago, was convicted and put on probation for two years. Both will have to do 60 hours' community work.

In the first trial, the Moroccan apologized to the victim. The 20-year-old woman didn't immediately see who had stolen the phone but caught him after an Afghan refugee who had witnessed the theft pointed him out to her.

The court stressed that the future of the man's asylum application wasn't a matter for Wednesday's proceedings.

Amid outrage over the Cologne crimes, the German government is moving to make it easier to deport foreign criminals. The changes would mean that even a suspended prison sentence would be grounds for deportation if someone is found guilty of certain crimes -- including bodily harm, sexual assault, violent theft or serial shoplifting.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Quebec trial underway for man whose pit bull-type dogs allegedly mauled young girl

    Canada News CTV News
    LONGUEUIL, Que. -- A Quebec man is standing trial for criminal negligence causing bodily harm after one of his pit bull-type dogs allegedly mauled a little girl in 2015. The two-day trial began today at the courthouse in Longueuil, Que. Source
  • Internal Tory turmoil in the spotlight as Ontario legislature resumes this week

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- The sprint to Ontario's spring election begins this week as the legislature is set to resume following an unprecedented tumult that saw the official Opposition implode under the weight of its leader's resignation amid sexual misconduct allegations. Source
  • B.C. challenges Alberta wine ban under free trade rules

    Canada News CBC News
    The B.C. government is challenging Alberta's ban on B.C. wines through the Canadian Free Trade Agreement's (CFTA) dispute settlement process. According to a release, the province has notified the Alberta government that it is formally requesting consultations under the CFTA regarding Alberta's embargo on the sale of B.C. Source
  • Hedley withdraws from Juno award consideration

    Canada News CBC News
    The members of the embattled rock band Hedley say they have withdrawn from consideration for three awards at this year's Junos and plan to "talk about how we have let some people down, and what we intend to do about it. Source
  • U.S. bipartisan gun bill aims to improve compliance with criminal background checks

    World News CBC News
    The White House supports efforts to strengthen background checks for gun purchases in the wake of last week's shooting at a high school in Parkland, Fla. The White House said on Monday that U.S. President Donald Trump supports efforts to improve federal background checks for gun purchases, five days after a shooting at a Florida school killed 17 people. Source
  • Trump backs efforts to bolster FBI gun checks

    World News CTV News
    WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. -- U.S. President Donald Trump offered support Monday for an effort to strengthen the federal gun background check system as he hunkered down at his private Florida golf course just 40 miles from last week's deadly school shooting. Source
  • Quebec man arrested in 2002 Alberta slaying

    Canada News CTV News
    AIRDRIE, Alta. - A Quebec man has been arrested in the slaying of a 21-year-old woman 16 years ago. The body of Adrienne McColl was found on a rancher's field in February 2002 about 85 kilometres south of Calgary. Source
  • Calgary roller-skating rink closes its doors after more than 5 decades of operation

    Canada News CTV News
    A line of people wrapped around Lloyd’s Recreation on its final day of operation Sunday. Over the past few weeks, thousands of skaters have visited the Calgary roller-skating rink before its official closure after 53 years. Source
  • 'More than just a skin blemish': Calgary-led study indicates new acne diagnoses linked to depression risk

    Canada News CBC News
    Dermatologists and other doctors treating acne should keep an eye on patients' mood symptoms as well, and start treatment or make a psychological referral if depression is present, according to new study. (Acne and Rosacea Society of Canada) Source
  • Toronto firefighter who disappeared in NY, wound up in California returns home

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO - The president of the union representing Toronto's firefighters says a fire captain who was found in California after vanishing from a New York state ski slope is back in Canada. Frank Ramagnano says Constantinos (Danny) Filippidis made a brief stop in Lake Placid, N.Y. Source