2 men convicted of theft in 1st trials over Cologne crimes

BERLIN -- Two men were convicted of theft and given suspended sentences Wednesday in the first trials for New Year's Eve crimes in the German city of Cologne.

See Full Article

A third suspect was convicted under juvenile law and put on probation.

The spate of thefts and assaults on women near Cologne's main station, blamed largely on foreigners, caused public uproar as Germany faces a huge influx of migrants. More than 1,000 criminal complaints were filed, over 400 of those alleging sexual crimes.

Neither of Wednesday's trials involved allegations of sexual assaults. Names were not released in accordance with German privacy laws.

The Cologne district court handed a 23-year-old Moroccan asylum-seeker a six-month suspended sentence and a 100-euro ($110) fine for stealing a cellphone from a woman as she photographed the city's cathedral and for possessing drugs.

In a separate trial, a 22-year-old Tunisian was given a three-month suspended sentence for theft. The court found he distracted a man on a bridge near Cologne's main station while his 18-year-old Moroccan co-defendant stole a bag containing a camera.

The younger man, who the court said also committed three thefts nearly a year ago, was convicted and put on probation for two years. Both will have to do 60 hours' community work.

In the first trial, the Moroccan apologized to the victim. The 20-year-old woman didn't immediately see who had stolen the phone but caught him after an Afghan refugee who had witnessed the theft pointed him out to her.

The court stressed that the future of the man's asylum application wasn't a matter for Wednesday's proceedings.

Amid outrage over the Cologne crimes, the German government is moving to make it easier to deport criminal foreigners. The changes would mean that even a suspended prison sentence would be grounds for deportation if someone is found guilty of certain crimes -- including bodily harm, sexual assault, violent theft or serial shoplifting.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Can Bernier or O'Leary lead a Conservative caucus that wants O'Toole or Scheer?

    Canada News CBC News
    More than two-thirds of the Conservative caucus has gotten behind one of the 14 candidates for the party's top job. Most are supporting either Erin O'Toole or Andrew Scheer — and O'Toole has now surpassed Scheer as the favourite of Conservatives in the House of Commons, even luring two of Scheer's former backers to his side. Source
  • Marijuana industry gets boost from legalization target date

    Canada News CBC News
    Canadian marijuana businesses got a confidence boost from a CBC News report that the government plans to legalize recreational marijuana by July 2018, although big questions remain about how the legal market will work in different provinces. Source
  • 'The White House is in disarray': Trump struggles to find 'easy win' after health-care dud

    World News CBC News
    Hungry for a win after his failure to close the deal on a new health-care bill last week, Donald Trump's announcement Monday of a task force to streamline government should have been a palatable bread-and-butter offering to his conservative base. Source
  • Netflix's anti-piracy team aims to make stealing content uncool

    World News CBC News
    ?Netflix is getting tough on piracy. The streaming service giant reveals its plan of attack in an online job posting seeking someone with legal and internet piracy experience to manage its newly created Global Copyright Protection Group. Source
  • Quebec Finance Minister to table 2017-18 budget today

    Canada News CTV News
    Quebec Finance Minister Carlos Leitao will table the province's 2017-18 budget today and says it will be one of "confidence and optimism." Leitao said earlier this month he will be tabling his third consecutive balanced budget. Source
  • French candidate's wife faces charges over parliament jobs

    World News CTV News
    French presidential candidate Francois Fillon, left, and his wife Penelope arrive for a television debate at French TV station TF1 in Aubervilliers, outside Paris, France, Monday, March 20, 2017. (Patrick Kovarik/Pool Photo via AP) Source
  • Human remains may have been discovered on Korean ferry that sank in 2014

    World News CBC News
    South Korean salvage crews on Tuesday found what is presumed to be the remains of one of the missing victims of a 2014 ferry disaster that killed 304 passengers, an official said. The remains were found in the waters near where the ship's wreckage was raised last week, said an official from the Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries. Source
  • Malaysia says Kim Jong Nam's body still in the country

    World News CTV News
    KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia -- The body of the half-brother of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un is still in Malaysia, the country's health minister said Tuesday, dismissing reports that his remains were about to be flown out of the country as part of diplomatic negotiations. Source
  • Khalid Masood's wife 'saddened and shocked' by his attack near British Parliament

    World News CBC News
    The wife of the man who killed four people outside Britain's Parliament last week condemned the attack, saying she is "saddened and shocked." In statement released through London police on Tuesday, Khalid Masood's wife, Rohey Hydara, also said "I express my condolences to the families of the victims that have died, and wish a speedy recovery to all the injured. Source
  • 'Screaming, howling wind' from cyclone leaves thousands of Aussies without power

    World News CBC News
    Howling winds, heavy rain and huge seas pounded Australia's northeast on Tuesday, damaging homes, wrecking jetties and cutting power to thousands of people as Tropical Cyclone Debbie tore through Queensland state's far north. Wind gusts stronger than 260 km per hour were recorded at tourist resorts along the world-famous Great Barrier Reef as the powerful storm, at Category 4 just one rung below the most dangerous wind speed level, began to make landfall. Source