Moroccan convicted of theft in first trial over Cologne crimes

BERLIN - A Moroccan man who is the first person to be convicted for New Year's Eve crimes in the German city of Cologne was given a six-month suspended sentence on Wednesday for stealing a cellphone and possessing drugs.

See Full Article

The Cologne district court said it also fined the 23-year-old asylum seeker 100 euros ($110).

The defendant stole a cellphone from a woman as she photographed the city's cathedral. The 20-year-old didn't see who had stolen the phone but caught him after an Afghan refugee who had witnessed the theft pointed him out. The man apologized to her at Wednesday's brief trial.

Police found a small quantity of amphetamines in one of the man's socks after he was arrested.

He was carrying a document from Dec. 18 showing that he had registered as an asylum seeker. The court stressed that the status and future of the man's asylum application weren't a matter for Wednesday's proceedings.

The spate of thefts and assaults on women outside Cologne's main station, blamed largely on foreigners, caused public uproar as Germany deals with a huge influx of migrants. More than 1,000 criminal complaints were filed, over 400 of those alleging crimes of a sexual nature.

Neither of the two trials scheduled in Cologne on Wednesday involves allegations of sexual assaults.

In a separate case being heard later in the day, a 22-year-old Tunisian and an 18-year-old Moroccan are charged with stealing a camera.

Names have not been released in accordance with German privacy laws.

Amid outrage over the Cologne crimes, the government is moving to make it easier to deport criminal foreigners. The changes would mean that even a suspended prison sentence would be grounds for deportation if someone is found guilty of certain crimes - including bodily harm, sexual assault, violent theft and serial shoplifting.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Funeral to be held for St. Catharine's boy whose death led to murder charge

    Canada News CTV News
    THOROLD, Ont. - Funeral services will be held today for a seven-year-old boy who died last week in St. Catharines, Ont., leading to a murder charge against his stepfather. Nathan Dumas was rushed to hospital on Friday but died the next day. Source
  • Republicans set for risky health care vote after Trump demands it

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON - Republicans have set course for a climactic House vote on their health care overhaul. Their decision came after U.S. President Donald Trump claimed he was finished negotiating with GOP holdouts and determined to move on to the rest of his agenda, win or lose. Source
  • Rachel Dolezal struggling after racial identity scandal

    World News CTV News
    SPOKANE, Wash. - A woman who rose to prominence as a black civil rights leader then lost her job when her parents exposed her as white is struggling to make a living these days. Rachel Dolezal said she has been unable to find steady work in the nearly two years since she was outed as a white woman in local media reports, and she is uncertain about her future. Source
  • Rachel Dolezal says she's struggling in wake of racial identity scandal

    World News CTV News
    SPOKANE, Wash. - A woman who rose to prominence as a black civil rights leader then lost her job when her parents exposed her as white is struggling to make a living these days. Rachel Dolezal said she has been unable to find steady work in the nearly two years since she was outed as a white woman in local media reports, and she is uncertain about her future. Source
  • Four found dead in Sacramento; one arrested in connection in San Francisco

    World News CTV News
    SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Police detained a suspect in San Francisco just hours after finding four bodies, including two children, in a home 128 kilometres away in Sacramento. The unidentified suspect, who was quickly singled out by investigators, was likely known by the victims, Sacramento police Sgt. Source
  • Laquan McDonald killing: Chicago police officer faces more charges

    World News CBC News
    A white Chicago police officer accused of murder in the shooting death of a black teenager was charged on Thursday with 16 new counts of aggravated battery, in a case that sparked national debate over police use of force against minorities. Source
  • Boston drummer Sib Hashian dies; The Rock pays tribute to him as '2nd dad'

    World News CBC News
    John (Sib) Hashian, former drummer for the arena rock band Boston, died on board a cruise ship Wednesday. He was 67. His son, Adam Hashian, said Thursday a cause of death had not yet been determined. Source
  • Lawsuits blaming Saudi Arabia for 9/11 get new life

    World News CTV News
    NEW YORK -- For years, family members of those killed on Sept. 11 and insurance companies tried unsuccessfully through the courts to hold Saudi Arabia or businesses and organizations there responsible for the terrorist attacks. Source
  • Shooting rampage in Wisconsin began with domestic dispute

    World News CTV News
    WESTON, Wis. -- A man angry after a domestic dispute opened fire in a Wisconsin bank, killing two longtime employees, then killed an attorney at a nearby law firm and a detective trying to set a perimeter outside an apartment complex before he was finally captured, police said. Source
  • Complaint filed after B.C. judge makes comments about hearing sexual assault trial

    Canada News CTV News
    VANCOUVER - Comments attributed to a British Columbia judge about the number of days that should be allotted to hear a sexual assault case have led to a complaint to the Canadian Judicial Council, the province's attorney general said Thursday. Source