10-month-old baby among those presumed dead in Fiji cyclone

WELLINGTON, New Zealand - A 10-month-old baby is among those missing and presumed dead Wednesday from the massive cyclone that hit Fiji after the boy's parents told a local television station they lost hold of him amid ferocious winds and floodwaters that rose to their necks.

See Full Article

The death toll from Cyclone Winston has risen to 42. Another four people are listed as missing, including the infant on Koro Island, where at least 10 people have died.

The cyclone tore through the Pacific Island chain over the weekend with winds that reached 285 kilometres per hour, making it the strongest storm in Fiji's recorded history.

The boy's father Alifereti Samu told Fiji One Television that they ran from the coastal home where they were sheltering and were expecting the winds but not the huge seas.

"When the winds began to rise, we then ran for safety," he said, adding they tried to keep their son above water.

"The water level was up to my neck," Samu said. "The house began to fall and waves began to pound on us."

He said their son was their firstborn.

"We still haven't found him. We believe he has been taken out to sea," he told the network. "We are at peace with the thought that he has found eternal life."

Government spokesman Ewan Perrin confirmed the parents' account.

"Basically the baby was lost during the flooding," Perrin said. "One of the parents was unable to hold onto the child and it was washed away."

Perrin said authorities have a good grasp now on the extent of the destruction from Cyclone Winston after getting aerial images from the Royal New Zealand Air Force. He said they hope to begin distributing 20 satellite phones soon to places still without communication links.

He said that within a few days of flooding, mosquitoes start to breed so authorities are urging people not to leave standing water anywhere in order to prevent an increase in illnesses such as dengue fever.

Fiji's Disaster Management Minister Inia Seruiratu said in a briefing that the government was working to restore electricity and running water to many areas. He said a lack of reliable communications had proved to be a serious challenge.

"Fiji has suffered a terrible blow, and this rebuilding process won't happen overnight," he said.

Karen Allen, the head of UNICEF in the Pacific, said the priority was to get food, water and kerosene for cooking to the thousands of people staying in emergency shelters.

She said many people in the shelters are devastated.

"They're crying, they're stressed, they're upset, they don't know what tomorrow will bring," she said.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Most bidders who snapped up 'creepy' High River estate homes have backed out [Photos]

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    It's been dubbed the creepiest neighbourhood in the world, and despite furious bidding wars over two dozen flood impacted estate homes in High River, most of the vacant properties won't be leaving anytime soon. Last week, the deadline imposed by the province passed for bidders who successfully won the 26 properties up for public auction to commit to moving them, leaving 18 of them, all in the formerly high-end neighbourhood of Beachwood Estates, with nowhere to go. Source
  • Combustible cladding could be on 600 highrise buildings in England: PM

    World News CBC News
    The British prime minister estimates 600 highrise buildings in England have cladding made of materials similar to what was found in a devastating west London fire. Theresa May told the House of Commons that authorities submitted cladding on similar buildings following the Grenfell Tower fire on June 14 that killed at least 79 people. Source
  • Prince Philip released from hospital

    World News Toronto Sun
    LONDON — Prince Philip was discharged Thursday from a London hospital after he was treated for an infection, Buckingham Palace said. Philip, the husband of Queen Elizabeth II, was admitted to the King Edward VII Hospital on Tuesday as a precautionary measure after he fell ill with an infection related to an existing health condition that wasn’t made public. Source
  • University of Toronto gets ready for graduation ceremony today for black students

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO - Organizers of a graduation ceremony for black students at Canada's largest university say the event is meant to acknowledge the barriers that remain for people of colour pursuing academia. The ceremony is being held Thursday at the University of Toronto after two students took it upon themselves to organize the event for black students completing degrees at both the undergraduate and graduate level. Source
  • Prince Harry says nobody wants to be king or queen

    World News CBC News
    Prince Harry said no one in Britain's royal family wants to be king or queen and criticised a decision to force him to parade behind his mother Princess Diana's coffin after her death in 1997, according to an interview with a U.S. Source
  • Four more arrests linked to Brussels rail station attack

    World News CBC News
    Belgian authorities said Thursday that police detained four people in a series of raids in Brussels linked to the failed bombing at a rail station this week by a man reportedly shouting "Allahu akbar." The federal prosecutor's office said that the four were picked up during searches in the Molenbeek neighborhood, as well as in Anderlecht and Koekelberg. Source
  • Suicide car bombing in Afghanistan kills at least 15

    World News CBC News
    A local police chief in Afghanistan says a suicide car bombing targeted Afghan soldiers lining up outside a bank in southern Helmand province, killing at least 15 people. Provincial police chief Gen. Agha Noor Kentoz says the attacker struck on Thursday in Lashkargah, the provincial capital. Source
  • Suicide car bombing in Afghanistan kills 29

    World News CBC News
    The governor of Afghanistan's Helmand province says a suicide bombing outside a bank has killed 29 people, most of them civilians. Provincial police chief Gen. Agha Noor Kentoz says the attacker struck on Thursday in Lashkargah, the provincial capital. Source
  • Talks with Pentagon over 'interim' fighter jets continue despite Boeing snub

    Canada News CBC News
    Talks with the Pentagon about filling the Canadian air force's short-term need for jet fighters remain on track, said Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan. Those negotiations for a so-called "interim capability" continue despite the Liberal government making a very public display at the Paris Air Show this week of snubbing Boeing executives. Source