Cruz, Rubio face critical test in Nevada as Trump ahead

LAS VEGAS -- Tuesday night's Nevada caucuses are a critical test for the Republican Party's leading presidential candidates.

Donald Trump is fighting for a third straight victory to expand a delegate lead that could soon become insurmountable.

See Full Article

Marco Rubio is trying to prove he can build on recent momentum. And Ted Cruz wants to keep from spiraling out of contention.

"I think it's the most unpredictable of all the races we've had so far," said Rubio, the Florida senator who is emerging as the Republican establishment's candidate.

Cruz, a fiery conservative popular among voters on the party's right, needs to recover from one of the weakest moments of his campaign. After denying charges of dishonest tactics for several weeks, the Texas senator on Monday asked for the resignation of a senior aide who spread an inaccurate news report suggesting Rubio had criticized the Bible.

That was just days after Cruz finished a disappointing third in South Carolina. Another disappointing finish in Nevada would raise new questions about his viability heading into a crucial set of Super Tuesday states on March 1.

"There's something wrong with this guy," Trump said with his usual measure of tact during a Las Vegas rally Monday night. The former reality television star called the Cruz "sick."

Nevada marks the first Republican election in the West and the fourth of the campaign as the candidates try to collect enough delegates to win the party's nomination later this year.

Although Nevada has relatively few delegates, it is the first measure of voter sentiment in the vast western region, much as South Carolina was the first glimpse at the South's preferences last weekend.

Nevada is 28 per cent Latino, 9 per cent Asian-American and leads the nation with the highest rate of people living in the country illegally, according to the Pew Hispanic Center. Its immigrant communities -- 19 per cent of its population was born outside the United States -- have helped turn a once reliably Republican state into one that backed Obama twice. Many analysts attribute that to hardline Republican positions on immigration.

A Republican field that included a dozen candidates a month ago has been reduced to five. Ohio Gov. John Kasich and retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson remain in the race.

Trump's rivals concede they are running out of time to stop him.

The election calendar suggests that if they don't slow the New York billionaire by mid-March, they may not ever. Trump swept all of South Carolina's 50 delegates, giving him a total of 67 compared to Cruz and Rubio who have 11 and 10, respectively. It takes 1,237 delegates to capture the Republican nomination.

There are 30 delegates at stake in Nevada, awarded to candidates in proportion to their share of the statewide vote so long as they earn at least 3.33 per cent.

Rubio and Cruz have been attacking each other viciously in recent days, an indication they know Trump can be stopped only if one of them is eliminated. But neither of the first-term Hispanic senators is predicting victory in Nevada.

After finishes of third in Iowa, fifth in New Hampshire and second in South Carolina, Rubio needs a win soon to support his theory that he is the primary beneficiary of former Florida Gov. Bush's recent departure from the race.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Hamas accepts cease-fire after massive Israeli Gaza strikes

    World News CTV News
    JERUSALEM -- Gaza's militant Hamas rulers said Saturday they had accepted a cease-fire ending a massive Israeli onslaught on militant positions after a soldier was shot dead, once again pulling the sides back from the brink of a full-fledged war. Source
  • Wildfire threat prompts evacuations in northeastern Ontario

    Canada News CTV News
    KILLARNEY, Ont. -- It's going to be a very busy weekend for crews battling dozens of wildfires in northeastern Ontario. The Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry says eight new fires were ignited by lightning strikes Friday, pushing the total number of blazes to at least 65 -- 34 of which remain out of control. Source
  • Ticket mix-up put family on Missouri tourist boat that sank, killing 17

    World News CBC News
    More than half of the 17 people killed when a tourist boat sank on a Branson lake were members of the same Indiana family, and they likely wouldn't have been on the ill-fated trip but for a ticket mix-up. Source
  • No winning ticket for Friday night's $25 million Lotto Max jackpot

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- No winning ticket was sold for the $25 million jackpot in Friday night's Lotto Max draw. That means the jackpot for the next draw on July 27 will grow to approximately $35 million. Source
  • Hamas says deal reached with Israel to restore calm in Gaza

    World News CBC News
    Hamas said on Saturday it had agreed to a truce with Israel in the Gaza Strip, a day after clashes killed an Israeli soldier and four Palestinians along the volatile border. The Israeli military declined to comment on the reported ceasefire. Source
  • Fraud case charges stayed because of judge shortage in Ontario Superior Court

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Five men accused in an alleged multimillion-dollar fraud scheme have had all charges against them stayed because of a shortage of judges in Ontario's Superior Court of Justice. Earlier this year, a judge attempting to set a trial date for the five accused said they could not come before the courts until at least January 2019. Source
  • Newly released video from Brazil shows man believed to be last of tribe

    World News CTV News
    SAO PAULO -- No one knows his name. No one knows the name of the people he came from. And he appears to have lived alone in Brazil's Amazon for 22 years. Video released for this first time this week by Brazil's Indian Foundation shows rare images of a so-called uncontacted indigenous man who is believed to be the last surviving member of his tribe. Source
  • Man charged with attempted murder of 5-year-old makes court appearance

    Canada News CTV News
    The 28-year-old man charged with the attempted murder of a 5-year-old Brampton, Ont. boy appeared in court on Friday. Dyon Smart has been remanded in custody and will make his next court appearance on July 25. Source
  • 'The Jay Z of St.-T': Rapper runs for mayor in St. Thomas, Ont.

    Canada News CTV News
    Three years ago, rap artist Malichi Male was driving to a gig in London, Ont. when he got lost. Male took a wrong turn and ended up in St. Thomas, a quiet community about 27 kilometres south of his destination. Source
  • MGM turns to never-tested law to sue Vegas shooting victims

    World News CTV News
    LAS VEGAS -- The unprecedented move from MGM Resorts International to sue hundreds of victims of last year's mass shooting in Las Vegas using an obscure U.S. law never tested in court has been framed by the casino-operator as an effort to avoid years of costly litigation -- but the legal manoeuvr may not play out that way. Source