Syria government, opposition accept U.S.-Russia proposed truce

DAMASCUS, Syria -- The Syrian government and the main umbrella for Syrian opposition and rebel groups announced on Tuesday they both conditionally accept a proposed U.S.

See Full Article

-Russian cease fire that the international community hopes will bring them back to the negotiating table in Geneva for talks to end the war.

The announcement came after the United States and Russia agreed on a new ceasefire for Syria that will take effect on Saturday, even as major questions over enforcement of that truce have been left unresolved.

The truce will not cover the Islamic State group, Syria's al Qaeda-branch known as the Nusra Front, or any other militia that has been designated as a terrorist organization by the UN Security Council.

But exactly where in Syria the fighting would stop and where counterterrorism operations can continue under the truce is also still to be addressed. In addition, the five-page plan released by the U.S. State Department leaves open how breaches of the ceasefire will be identified or punished.

The Syrian Foreign Ministry said in a statement Tuesday that it accepts the proposed truce, adding that operations will continue against the Islamic State group, al Qaeda's branch in Syria and "other terrorist groups linked to them."

"The Syrian government stresses the right of its armed forces to retaliate against any violation carried out by these groups," the ministry's statement said.

The Syrian announcement came after the main umbrella for Syrian opposition and rebel groups, the High Negotiations Committee, said late Monday that it "agrees to a temporary truce" as long as the main opposition's demands are met.

The HNC said the "acceptance of the truce is conditional" to the Syrian government ending its siege of 18 rebel-held areas, releasing detainees and the cessation of aerial and artillery bombardment.

Talal Sillo, a spokesman for the predominantly Kurdish Syria Democratic Forces told The Associated Press that his group will not abide by the truce because they are fighting against IS in northern Syria.

"Had we been fighting against the Syrian regime or the (opposition) Free Syrian Army, we would have abided by the truce," said Sillo, whose group has become one of the most effective forces fighting IS extremists.

The UN-Russian agreement proposes that the cessation of hostilities start at midnight local time on Friday.

"Military actions, including airstrikes of the Armed Forces of the Syrian Arab Republic, the Russian Armed Forces, and the U.S.-led Counter ISIL Coalition will continue against ISIL, 'Jabhat al-Nusra' and other terrorist organizations designated by the UN Security Council," the agreement says. It referred to ISIL, which is another acronym for the Islamic State group.

UN envoy Staffan de Mistura halted the latest Syria talks in Geneva on Feb. 3 because of major differences between the two sides, exacerbated by increased aerial bombings and a large-scale government military offensive under the cover of Russian airstrikes.

It was not immediately clear if de Mistura will set a new date for the resumption of the talks, initially scheduled to resume on Thursday. Last week, de Mistura was quoted by Swedish newspaper Svenska Dagbladet as saying the Syria talks won't resume in Geneva on Feb. 25 as he had previously hoped, adding that he cannot "realistically" get the parties in the Syrian conflict back to the table by then, "but we intend to do so soon."

Syria's state news agency SANA reported late Monday that a new humanitarian aid convoy made up of 44 trucks entered the besieged Damascus suburb of Moadamiyeh. The delivery was conducted under the supervision of the Syrian Arab Red Crescent and the United Nations, SANA said.

On Tuesday, state TV reported that aid entered another rebel-held suburb, Kfar Batna.

The latest distribution of aid came as Peter Maurer, the president of the International Committee of the Red Cross, began a five-day visit to Syria -- his fourth since taking office in 2012.

"This is a critical situation at the present moment with millions of people in need and the objective of course of this trip is to scale up our operations and to bring as good as we can more help to Syrian people," Maurer said in statement.

In northern Syria, the IS on Tuesday captured the town of Khanaser, cutting supply lines for government forces between the northern city of Aleppo and central and western Syria.

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights says IS fighters captured Khanaser along with 12 surrounding hills. The Aamaq news agency, which is affiliated with the extremist group, also reported that IS was now in "full control" of the town, southeast of Aleppo.

The Observatory said 35 troops and 16 IS fighters were killed in the battles, adding that many were wounded. Khanaser lies along the government's only access route to Aleppo, Syria's largest city and once commercial centre.

The Observatory, which tracks Syria's civil war, said Tuesday that it has documented the death of 271,138 people since the country's crisis began five years ago. The activist group also said the real death toll is estimated to be about 100,000 higher than the figure it released, which the Observatory said was based on its lists of deceased people's names.

The United Nations, which last released a death toll figure for Syria several months ago, says the war has killed 250,000 people.

Mroue reported from Beirut



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • As budget deadline looms, Trump pushes border wall funding

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- With a budget deadline looming, U.S. President Donald Trump plans a whirlwind of activities seeking to highlight accomplishments while putting fresh pressure on congressional Democrats to pay for a wall on the U.S. Source
  • Hamilton man in naval spy case wants info on CSIS wiretaps of Chinese Embassy

    Canada News CBC News
    A naval engineer from Hamilton, accused of trying to spy for Beijing, is asking a federal judge for full access to information about Canadian Security Intelligence Service wiretaps of the Chinese Embassy. Qing Quentin Huang says federal secrecy has placed him in an "impossible position" as he prepares to defend against espionage charges. Source
  • Haley won’t rule out strike vs North Korea for nuke testing

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — Nikki Haley, the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, isn’t ruling out a U.S. strike against North Korea if Pyongyang tests another nuclear missile. Haley spoke on several television networks Monday morning, praising China’s involvement in trying to pressure North Korea to cease missile testing and criticized its leader, Kim Jong Un, as unstable and paranoid. Source
  • Swedish police arrest second suspect in truck attack

    World News Toronto Sun
    HELSINKI — Swedish police say they have arrested a second person in a truck attack that killed four people and injured 15 others in Stockholm earlier this month. Police spokesman Simon Bynlert said Monday that the male suspect was arrested Sunday, but gave no details. Source
  • Arizona teacher accused of masturbating on camera for 13-year-old middle school student

    World News Toronto Sun
    An Arizona teacher faces multiple charges after her extracurricular activities allegedly included masturbating on camera for a Grade 7 pupil. The father of a 13-year-old male student at Tempe's Fees College Preparatory Middle School blew the whistle on Kara Loofborough last week and accused the 26-year-old science teacher of engaging in raunchy, x-rated online conversations with his son outside school hours. Source
  • Wife of slain Mountie says trial of RCMP on labour charges is necessary

    Canada News CTV News
    MONCTON, N.B. -- The wife of one of three New Brunswick Mounties killed by a gunman on June 4, 2014, says a trial against the RCMP, that starts today, will be emotional but necessary. Nadine Larche says change is needed in the RCMP before tragic history repeats itself. Source
  • Family identifies toddler found dead outside Edmonton church

    Canada News CTV News
    With police in Edmonton saying they'll release more information on the case of a toddler found dead outside a city church, family members are confirming the boy’s identity. The child’s name was Anthony Joseph Raine, family members told CTV Edmonton on Sunday. Source
  • Trial resumes for former student charged in death of university physics student

    Canada News CTV News
    HALIFAX -- A trial resumes today for a former Halifax medical student accused of first-degree murder in the death of 22-year-old physics student Taylor Samson. William Sandeson was charged with first-degree murder on Aug. Source
  • Israel indicts teen over threats against Jewish centres in Canada, U.S.

    Canada News CBC News
    Israel has indicted 18-year-old American-Israeli dual citizen for a wave of bomb threats against Jewish community centres in the United States and Canada that stoked fears of rising anti-Semitism. Israel's Justice Ministry said the accused, who is Jewish, was charged at a district court in Tel Aviv for thousands of cases of extortion, computer offences, money laundering and publishing false information that caused panic. Source
  • Israel indicts teen linked to threats on Jewish centres

    World News CBC News
    Israel has indicted 18-year-old American-Israeli dual citizen for a wave of bomb threats against Jewish community centres in the United States and Canada that stoked fears of rising anti-Semitism. Israel's Justice Ministry said the accused, who is Jewish, was charged at a district court in Tel Aviv for thousands of cases of extortion, computer offences, money laundering and publishing false information that caused panic. Source