Date expected for Afghan peace talk meeting

KABUL - Talks in Kabul Tuesday between representatives of four countries trying to end Afghanistan's war with the Taliban are likely to set a date for a face-to-face meeting between the two sides, an Afghan official said.

See Full Article

Representatives of Afghanistan, Pakistan, China and the United States are meeting in the Afghan capital for a fourth round of discussions setting conditions for eventual peace talks between Kabul and the Taliban.

Javid Faisal, the deputy spokesman for Afghan Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah, told The Associated Press the delegates "should give a date for the first direct peace talks."

Delegates agreed at their last meeting in Islamabad on Feb. 6 to work toward bringing the two sides together to restart a peace process - derailed last summer by the revelation that the Taliban's one-eyed leader Mullah Mohammad Omar had been dead for more than two years - before the end of February.

"We are expecting a result of that agreement which should give us a date for the first direct peace talks," Faisal said.

In remarks opening the meeting Tuesday, Afghan Foreign Minister Salahuddin Rabbani said details of that first meeting would be announced before the end of February.

Earlier meetings set a roadmap for formal peace talks. The insurgency is now in its 15th year.

Details have not been made public, though officials close to the talks have said Kabul demands a reduction in violence as a sign of the Taliban's sincerity.

While the process may take months or even years, these preliminary meetings - which do not include the Taliban - are setting conditions for a deal, including Taliban recognition of Afghanistan's constitution and sovereignty.

The four countries have called on the Taliban to enter peace talks with Kabul and said in earlier communiques they want the two sides to work toward reducing the violence that has killed thousands of Afghan civilians since the insurgency started.


Latest Canada & World News

  • Ontario man died in agony after nursing home neglected bed sore, lawsuit alleges

    Canada News CTV News
    A 68-year-old man spent his last days in agony after a Toronto nursing home neglected to treat a massive, oozing bed sore on his behind, a planned class-action lawsuit alleges. The lawsuit against Revera Nursing Homes, one of the biggest long-term care companies in Canada, alleges that Arthur Ross Jones did not receive proper care and was often neglected by nursing home staff. Source
  • Finance Minister Morneau to deliver economic update on Nov. 1

    Canada News CBC News
    Finance Minister Bill Morneau is to deliver his fall economic update to the House of Commons on Nov. 1. These updates typically contain little more than fresh economic and fiscal projections, although in the past they have included budgetary measures. Source
  • Man convicted of biting off fellow mourner’s nose at drunken Nova Scotia wake

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    PICTOU, N.S. — A Nova Scotia judge has convicted a man of aggravated assault for biting off part of a fellow mourner’s nose in a drunken brawl at a wake. Judge Del Atwood found Randall Edwin MacLean guilty of aggravated assault, but made it clear many people behaved badly at the 2014 wake in downtown Pictou, N.S. Source
  • Quebec Court of Appeal rules Montreal can appeal judgment on pit bulls

    Canada News CTV News
    MONTREAL -- The City of Montreal has been granted permission to appeal a lower court ruling that suspended its controversial pit bull restrictions. Quebec's top court will allow the city to present arguments Nov. Source
  • Woman facing deportation issues plea to stay in country she considers home

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    HALIFAX — A 33-year-old woman facing deportation to the U.K. pleaded Thursday to be allowed to stay in the country she considers home, a day before a hearing that may shed light on her fate. Propped up in a hospital bed as she recovers from surgery, Fliss Cramman said she is terrified of being sent back to England, where she was born but left with her family at the age of eight. Source
  • Breaking Bad fanatic killed cop, dissolved body in acid after Grindr meet: Prosecution

    World News Toronto Sun
    A man “obsessed” with Breaking Bad allegedly strangled a cop then got rid of his body in an acid bath after inviting him to a “hot, dirty, sleazy” sex party. A British court was told that Italian Stefano Brizzi, 50, met PC Gordon Semple, 59, on gay dating app Grindr. Source
  • Half-mile ice cream sundae sets record in Michigan

    World News Toronto Sun
    LUDINGTON, Mich. — Guinness World Records says a roughly half-mile-long ice cream sundae that was gobbled up in Michigan this June was the longest ever. The Ludington Daily News reports that the sundae measuring a little over 2,970 feet in length and fed thousands of people lining eight blocks in the Lake Michigan town. Source
  • Tech issues mean no online literacy test for Ont. high school students

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Tens of thousands of Ontario high school students were unable to take their first online literacy test Thursday because of widespread technical issues. The Education Quality and Accountability Office pulled the plug on the "voluntary" online test for which most of the province's 900 secondary schools had signed up Online literacy test cancelled in Ontario due to widespread technical issueso participate. Source
  • Construction must begin on road after isolated reserve's ferry breaks down: chief

    Canada News CTV News
    SHOAL LAKE, Man. -- The chief of an isolated reserve under one of Canada's longest boil-water advisories says construction on a road linking his community to the outside world must begin now. Shoal Lake 40 First Nation straddles the Ontario-Manitoba boundary and was cut off from the mainland a century ago to build an aqueduct which supplies fresh water to Winnipeg. Source
  • Judge calls for changes to pool supervision after boy drowns

    Canada News CTV News
    EDMONTON -- An Edmonton judge says more changes are needed to protect children in swimming pools following the death of a seven-year-old boy. A fatality inquiry report says there have been several improvements based on earlier investigations into the drowning at O'Leary Leisure Centre in July 2012. Source