Rubio builds momentum as Cruz campaign shows signs of struggle

ELKO, Nev. - Florida Sen. Marco Rubio amassed increasing support in his effort to establish himself as the main challenger to front-runner Donald Trump as Republican presidential candidates crisscrossed Nevada Monday on the final day of campaigning ahead of the Western state's caucuses.

See Full Article

Texas Sen. Ted Cruz lost ground in the battle to become the anti-Trump candidate as his campaign showed signs of struggle. Cruz told reporters Monday that he had asked his campaign spokesman, Rick Tyler, to resign for tweeting a story that falsely alleged Rubio had insulted the Bible.

"We are not a campaign that is going to question the faith of another candidate for president," he said, calling Tyler "a good man" and noting that he deleted the tweet once he discovered it was false.

While five men officially remain in the race for the Republican nomination, House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy billed it as a two-man contest between Trump and Rubio. Speaking on MSNBC's "Morning Joe" Monday, McCarthy said Trump's victory and Rubio's second-place finish in Saturday's South Carolina primary dealt a blow to Cruz's strategy to win the nomination. The California congressman predicted voters in Florida, Rubio's home state, would determine in mid-March whether Rubio continues or Trump easily rolls on to the nomination.

Polls show Trump with a huge lead in the Nevada caucuses, which would give the billionaire businessman a third-straight victory in the state-by-state contests to select delegates to the party's national nominating convention. Cruz faces a critical test on March 1, or Super Tuesday, when primaries are held in multiple states, including his home state of Texas and other southern states.

In the Democratic race, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, a self-described democratic socialist, vowed to fight on after a narrow loss to Hillary Clinton in Saturday's Nevada caucuses. Clinton pulled ahead of Sanders in the delegate count late Monday, when she eked out the final delegate from the Nevada caucuses, giving her a total of 52 caucus and primary delegates out of the 2,383 needed to win the nomination at the Democratic national convention. Sanders has 51.

Clinton is expected to add to her delegate tally with a win in Saturday's Democratic primary in South Carolina, where polls show her with strong support among African-Americans who make up more than half of the Democratic electorate. Sanders held a rally Monday in Massachusetts, one of the Super Tuesday primary states where he is running strongest.

Trump heads into Tuesday's Republican caucuses in Nevada with 67 delegates after sweeping all 50 delegates at stake in South Carolina. His closest opponents, Cruz and Rubio, have a total of 11 and 10, respectively. It takes 1,237 delegates to capture the nomination.

Rubio is trying to set himself up as the candidate of the party establishment after former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush quit the race after a disappointing fourth-place finish in South Carolina. Establishment heavyweights have moved to back Rubio, with many saying they see him as the candidate who can unite a disharmonious Republican Party. Since Friday, Rubio has added 12 new Congressional or gubernatorial endorsements, while Trump and Cruz have added none.

Former Sen. Bob Dole told ABC News on Monday that he too had been backing Bush, but he's now supporting Rubio because "he wants to grow the party as opposed to Cruz. I don't know what he wants to grow." Cruz appeals to the party's most conservative wing, but many party leaders fear his uncompromising positions would make him unelectable in the general election.

Ohio Gov. John Kasich showed no signs of quitting the race and picked up the support of one prominent Bush supporter - Tom Ridge, a former Pennsylvania governor and Homeland Security secretary. Kasich is hoping to make an impact later in March when Midwestern states hold their primaries.

Cruz's campaign on Tuesday once again was accused by rivals of using questionable tactics. Cruz apologized to Republican hopeful Ben Carson earlier this month after his campaign promoted a news story suggesting that the retired neurosurgeon was getting out of the race as the Iowa caucuses were under way.

Speaking during a campaign stop in Elko, Nevada, on Monday, Rubio criticized Cruz for the tweet alleging that the Florida senator had insulted the Bible.

"It's every single day something comes out of the Cruz campaign that's deceptive and untrue, and in this case goes after my faith," Rubio told reporters.

Trump lashed out at Cruz over Twitter on Monday, saying that Cruz "has now apologized to Marco Rubio and Ben Carson for fraud and dirty tricks. No wonder he has lost Evangelical support!"

Trump was scheduled to hold two rallies Monday in Nevada - one in Elko and another later in Las Vegas.

-----

Associated Press writers Vivian Salama in Washington, Scott Bauer in Madison, Wisconsin; David Eggert in Michigan, Andrew Demillo in Little Rock, Arkansas; and Alanna Durkin, Michael Blood and Matthew Barakat in Virginia contributed to this report.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Trump says he doesn't think Russia is still targeting U.S. elections

    World News CBC News
    U.S. President Donald Trump said on Wednesday he does not believe Russia is still targeting the United States, contradicting U.S. intelligence assessments that Moscow was continuing its attempts to meddle in American elections. Trump on Tuesday tried to walk back comments that he believed Russian President Vladimir Putin over American intelligence chiefs on Russian interference in the 2016 election, saying that he had misspoken a day earlier after a summit meeting with Putin in Helsinki. Source
  • Vatican-OK'd journal strikes out again at U.S. evangelicals

    World News CTV News
    VATICAN CITY -- A Vatican-approved journal has launched its second major critique of American evangelicals, dismissing "prosperity gospel" theology as a "pseudo" faith dangerously tied up with the American Dream and President Donald Trump's politics. Source
  • RCMP dive team joins search for swimmer in Buntzen Lake near Vancouver

    Canada News CTV News
    ANMORE, B.C. -- The RCMP dive team has been called to a lake in Metro Vancouver to assist in the search for a missing man. A news release from Coquitlam RCMP says the dive team will join officers and civilian searchers who have been at Buntzen Lake since just before 5 p.m. Source
  • Parks Canada plans 1,325-hectare expansion of Bruce Peninsula National Park

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Parks Canada says it has reached an agreement to acquire a privately owned parcel of land in Ontario's Georgian Bay area to expand the Bruce Peninsula National Park. The agency says the 1,324-hectare property includes 6.5 kilometres of uninterrupted shoreline, and is home to at least 10 federally listed species at risk and dozens of ecologically, geologically and culturally significant cave systems. Source
  • 'It's unfortunate': Premiers reconsider format for future Indigenous talks

    Canada News CBC News
    Wednesday's Council of the Federation talks may be the last time premiers invite Indigenous leaders to their annual summer gathering, after the Assembly of First Nations, Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami and the Métis National Council declined their invitation for the second year in a row. Source
  • HMCS Ville de Quebec departs Halifax with new Cyclone helicopter aboard

    Canada News CTV News
    HALIFAX - Hundreds of people gathered on a jetty at Halifax's naval base today to bid farewell to 240 military members aboard HMCS Ville de Quebec. Under pouring rain, family, friends and dignitaries waved goodbye as the warship departed in thick fog for the Mediterranean Sea, part of Canada's ongoing contribution to a NATO mission in central and eastern Europe. Source
  • Boko Haram members confess to abducting Chibok girls, Nigerian police say

    World News CBC News
    Eight suspected members of Islamist militant group Boko Haram have confessed to involvement in the 2014 abduction of some 270 girls from the town of Chibok, the Nigeria Police Force said on Wednesday. The mass abduction of girls from their school caused global outrage and drew attention to the militant group which has killed more than 30,000 people since 2009 in an insurgency aimed at creating an Islamic state in northeast Nigeria. Source
  • Take a sneak peek inside one of Nova Scotia's legal pot stores

    Canada News CBC News
    Nova Scotia Liquor Corporation executives showed off one of their new cannabis retail stores in Halifax on Wednesday that will begin selling pot on Oct. 17, when widespread pot use becomes legal across Canada. President and CEO Bret Mitchell started the tour of the cannabis outlet inside the NSLC store on Joseph Howe Drive at the entrance to the cannabis section, which is located behind frosted glass at the back of the liquor store. Source
  • In their own words: rescued Thai soccer players describe ordeal

    World News CBC News
    The 12 boys rescued from a flooded cave in Thailand were released from hospital Wednesday and made their first public appearance, along with their coach, at a news conference that was broadcast across the country. Here are some of their translated comments. Source
  • 'Rushed to judgment': Ontario ombudsman says Niagara journalist’s rights infringed

    Canada News CTV News
    Ontario’s ombudsman found that the Niagara regional government “rushed to judgment” and infringed on a local journalist’s rights when it seized his property and called the police. In a report released on Wednesday, ombudsman Paul Dube said that the region’s actions towards the journalist that occurred during a council meeting in December 2017 constituted “the type of conduct that courts have consistently found to be a violation of Charter rights. Source