Chemical weapons group identifies new possible cases in Syria

The international body charged with establishing who is responsible for chemical attacks in Syria said Monday it has identified seven potential sites for investigation, which it hopes to begin next month.

See Full Article

Virginia Gamba, who heads the Joint Investigative Mechanism of the UN and the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons, said an initial report to the Security Council had identified five cases where chemical weapons might have been used. Further analysis led to two other suspected cases: in Binnish in Idlib governorate on March 23, 2015 and in Al Tamanah, also in Idlib, on April 29-30 and May 25-26 in 2014.

Before the Joint Investigative Mechanism, or JIM, was established in August, investigators were charged only with determining whether chemical weapons had been used in an attack. They could not lay blame on the government, opposition or other armed groups.

Gamba said investigators were still analyzing information gathered by the OPCW and hoped to finalize the list of potential cases by March 1, at which point JIM would begin in-depth investigations.

Syria's government denies using chemical weapons, but the United States and other Western nations say it is to blame, especially for dropping barrel bombs containing chlorine and other toxic agents by helicopter. The opposition doesn't have such aircraft.

Reports also have surfaced in recent months that the Islamic State extremist group has used toxic chemicals.

The potential cases cited in the report to the Security Council include Kafr Zita in Hama governorate on April 11 and April 18, 2014, and three villages in Idlib governorate: Talmenes on April 21, 2014 and Qmenas and Sarmin, both on March 16, 2015. The fifth case was on Aug. 21, 2015 in the town of Marea near the Turkish border, at a time when Islamic State fighters were attacking rebels.

"Any use of toxic substances, weapons by anybody, anywhere, under any circumstances, is totally abhorrent and I would like to assure individuals, groups, entities or governments ... that these acts will be identified and they will be held accountable for these actions," Gamba said after briefing the Security Council in a closed-door session.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Mexican president congratulates Trump in phone conversation

    World News CTV News
    Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump walks with Mexico President Enrique Pena Nieto at the end of their joint statement at Los Pinos, the presidential official residence, in Mexico City on Wednesday, Aug. 31, 2016. (AP / Dario Lopez-Mills) Source
  • Ex-Dragons’ Den star Arlene Dickinson addresses political aspirations

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    TORONTO - “They’re wrong, I’m not running.” Entrepreneur and former Dragons’ Den star Arlene Dickinson has denied a report that a run at federal Liberal politics might be in her future. “Nothing could be further from the truth. Source
  • Bus carrying students on ski holiday crashes and burns, killing 16 [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    ROME — A bus carrying Hungarian school students home from a skiing trip to France slammed into a highway barrier in northern Italy and caught fire, killing at least 16 people, police said Saturday. Thirty-nine people survived, though some were seriously injured. Source
  • ’Sisters of the north’ join Women’s March on Washington [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — Hundreds of Canadian women, many of them wearing pink knit hats or carrying signs emblazoned with the maple leaf and the slogan “sisters of the north”, filled the sidewalks of Washington, D.C. Saturday morning as they made their way to a massive rally for women’s rights. Source
  • Protests around world draw hundreds of thousands of women [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — Wearing pink, pointy-eared “pussyhats” to mock the new president, hundreds of thousands of women took to the streets in the nation’s capital and cities around the world Saturday to send Donald Trump an emphatic message that they won’t let his agenda go unchallenged over the next four years. Source
  • 3 men presumed dead after snowmobile breaks through ice on Nunavut cargo run

    Canada News CBC News
    One man is confirmed dead and two others are missing but presumed dead after their large Bombardier snowmobile broke through the ice near Whale Cove, Nunavut on Saturday morning. Another man also fell through the ice but survived. Source
  • Signs from Women's Marches around the world captured on social media

    World News CTV News
    On Donald Trump’s first day as president, people from around the world marched in solidarity for women’s rights. Many took to twitter to support the cause or explain why they were marching. Additionally, a large number of them shared some of the best signs they saw or brought to the protests. Source
  • New Jersey man owes more than $56,000 in tolls

    World News Toronto Sun
    TEANECK, N.J. — Transit police say they’ve arrested a New Jersey man who avoided paying tolls nearly 900 times and owes more than $56,000 in unpaid tolls and fees. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey police say an officer stopped Alesandel Rodriguez’s car Friday morning after it failed to post a payment in an EZ-Pass lane on the George Washington Bridge. Source
  • 'Scariest moment': Former pro mountain biker speaks out after sudden paralysis

    Canada News CTV News
    A former mountain biker who found himself suddenly paralyzed in his Vancouver home is speaking out, saying he had to wait 40 minutes for an ambulance to arrive. Andrew Cho, 29, was out for dinner with friends on Jan. Source
  • Women's March on Washington route changed after massive turnout clogs streets

    World News CBC News
    A massive turnout at the Women's March on Washington has forced a change of plans. With the entire planned route filled with hundreds of thousands of protesters, organizers can't lead a formal march toward the White House. Source