Blasts rock Syrian city of Homs, killing at least 32

BEIRUT -- Two blasts in the central Syrian city of Homs killed at least 32 people and wounded dozens Sunday in the latest wave of violence to hit the city in recent weeks, state TV said.

See Full Article

The Homs blasts came amid reports that Syrian government forces captured 31 villages in the northern province of Aleppo from the extremist Islamic State group. Syrian troops have been on the offensive in different parts of the country under the cover of Russian airstrikes.

The television report said Sunday's blasts struck in the pro-government neighbourhood of Zahraa -- a frequent target for similar explosions. The report quoted Homs governor Talal Barrazi as saying that 32 people were killed and dozens others wounded, some seriously.

Most of the bombing attacks in Homs over the past months have been claimed by IS, which controls parts of Homs province including the historic town of Palmyra.

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which relies on a network of activists around Syria, said the blasts killed 46 and wounded more than 100. The Observatory said the blasts were caused by two vehicles rigged with explosives after reporting earlier that it was not immediately clear if the second was caused by a car bomb or a suicide attacker wearing an explosive belt.

State TV said the blasts occurred at about 8:15 a.m. (06:15 GMT) saying they were the result of two car bombs.

The report aired footage of the destruction caused by the blasts. Debris and mangled cars filled the streets and the charred body of a man was seen being taken away on a stretcher.

The Zahra neighbourhood is predominantly Alawite, the minority Muslim sect to which President Bashar Assad belongs.

Homs, once dubbed the capital of the Syrian revolution, has been hit with a wave of explosions in recent months, killing and wounding scores of people. The rebels controlled large parts of Homs after the uprising against Assad's government began in March 2011.

With time, the government gained control of most of Homs' neighbourhoods and a deal was reached late last year for militants to evacuate the last rebel-held neighbourhood of Waer.

Two blasts hit the Zahra neighbourhood on Jan. 26, killing 20 and wounding more than 100 people.

To the north, the Syrian army captured 31 villages on Sunday that were controlled by IS, according to the pro-Syrian Lebanon-based Al-Mayadeen TV and Hezbollah's Al-Manar station.

Al-Mayadeen and Al-Manar often have reporters embedded with Syrian troops in northern Syria.

Syrian state media earlier reported that Syrian troops had captured some 10 villages in Aleppo province from IS.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • One dead, two injured in fire at Ontario youth home

    Canada News CTV News
    KAWARTHA LAKES, Ont. -- Ontario provincial police are investigating a fatal fire at a group home for teenagers in the Kawartha Lakes area. Members of the OPP's Kawartha Lakes Detachment were called to the youth facility northwest of the Village of Oakwook late Friday afternoon. Source
  • Turkish PM launches 'yes' campaign over Erdogan powers

    World News CBC News
    Turkey's prime minister has officially launched his ruling party's campaign for a "yes" vote in a referendum on ushering in a presidential system, which critics fear will concentrate too many powers in the hands of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. Source
  • Suspect in deadly Kim Jong-nam attack says she got $90 for 'prank'

    World News CBC News
    The Indonesian woman who is one of the suspects in the killing of North Korean ruler Kim Jong-un's half brother said she was paid $90 for what she believed was a prank, an Indonesian official said Saturday. Source
  • Britain's 'extremely weak' opposition posing no challenge for PM Theresa May

    World News CBC News
    Winston Churchill is credited with once saying "Kites rise highest against the wind, not with it." The current British prime minister may illustrate the opposite, as Theresa May flies high, facing an opposition akin to a gentle breeze. Source
  • Hard, hard times again — sort of: Why a lot of N.L.'s fiscal problems are self-inflicted

    Canada News CBC News
    Dwight Ball, the affable pharmacist who has been Newfoundland and Labrador's premier for the last 15 months, said something remarkable Wednesday while swinging an axe through several hundred government jobs. "We're human, too. This impacts us," said Ball, who clearly has shown no relish for the more brutal parts of dealing with an oil-dependent economy during a collapse in petroleum prices. Source
  • Giant Tiger and other discounters in expansion mode

    Canada News CBC News
    Whenever Anna Maria Afable travels from British Columbia to visit her friends in Ontario, she makes a point to stop in at a Giant Tiger store. "We don't have it in B.C.," says Afable, as she browses through the fashion section at a location in Barrie, Ont, the newest of the discount chain's 200 stores across the country. Source
  • Want millennial voters? Conservatives must change, researchers say

    Canada News CBC News
    Researchers brought a sobering message to the annual convention of the right-leaning Manning Centre Friday: most voters under 35 aren't connecting with the conservative movement, and if it wants to reach them, more than just messaging needs to change. Source
  • Royal Canadian Mint struggles to make money: documents

    Canada News CBC News
    The Royal Canadian Mint just isn't making the money it used to. Revenue is down sharply, jobs have been chopped, morale is in the tank, and formerly successful lines of business are being shut down – even as the mint spends millions of dollars on new executive offices. Source
  • Muhammad Ali's son detained at Florida airport, questioned on religion

    World News CTV News
    FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- A lawyer says the son of legendary boxer Muhammad Ali was detained by immigration officials at a Florida airport. Chris Mancini tells the Courier-Journal in Louisville, Kentucky that 44-year-old Muhammad Ali Jr. Source
  • U.S. government wants appeal of travel ban put on hold

    World News CTV News
    SEATTLE -- The Justice Department wants a federal appeals court to put U.S. President Donald Trump's travel ban case on hold until he issues a new order, but the states who sued to stop the ban want the case to move forward. Source