Philippine election candidates grilled on poverty, crime

MANILA, Philippines -- The five Philippine presidential candidates were grilled in a nationally televised debate Sunday on how they would fight the long-pestering problems of poverty, corruption and crime that have blighted their Southeast Asian nation through several presidencies.

See Full Article

Commission on Elections Chairman Andres Bautista said the two-hour debate, the first to be organized by the commission in 24 years, aimed to shift the public's focus toward policy talk and programs to confront social ills.

Voters being swayed more by personalities, patronage politics and showbiz-like campaigns have long been a concern in the Philippines, which continues to grapple with widespread poverty, Marxist and Muslim insurgencies, corruption and other major problems three decades after toppling a dictatorship via a "people power" revolt.

The elections commission brought back the presidential debates, which were last held in 1992, to allow Filipino voters to scrutinize the main contenders and help them "vote correctly," Bautista said. After Sunday's debate, held at a university in southern Cagayan de Oro city, two more will be staged in March and April ahead of the May 9 election.

The candidates were asked questions on a range of issues, including their anti-poverty and anti-crime strategies and how they would solve the decades-long Muslim insurrection in the south of the predominantly Roman Catholic nation.

President Benigno Aquino III, who won with a landslide margin on a promise to battle poverty and corruption in 2010, ends his six-year term in June.

Under Aquino, the economy has been growing steadily. His predecessor has been detained on an elections fraud charge and three senators were separately detained on corruption charges under Aquino's anti-graft fight.

But daunting challenges remain, led by the poverty that grips about a fourth of the Philippines' 100 million people, forcing about a tenth of the population to seek jobs and better opportunities abroad.

The presidential contenders are Vice-President Jejomar Binay; Mayor Rodrigo Duterte of southern Davao city, where he has carved an image for his tough anti-crime campaign; Sen. Grace Poe, the adopted daughter of a popular movie couple; former Interior Secretary Mar Roxas, who has been endorsed by Aquino; and Sen. Miriam Defensor-Santiago, a feisty former trial court judge.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Muhammad Ali's son detained at Florida airport, questioned on religion

    World News CTV News
    FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- A lawyer says the son of legendary boxer Muhammad Ali was detained by immigration officials at a Florida airport. Chris Mancini tells the Courier-Journal in Louisville, Kentucky that 44-year-old Muhammad Ali Jr. Source
  • U.S. government wants appeal of travel ban put on hold

    World News CTV News
    SEATTLE -- The Justice Department wants a federal appeals court to put U.S. President Donald Trump's travel ban case on hold until he issues a new order, but the states who sued to stop the ban want the case to move forward. Source
  • Wisconsin man sent to prison for cutting off woman’s finger

    World News Toronto Sun
    GREEN BAY, Wis. — A Wisconsin man has been sentenced to 3 1/2 years in prison after pleading no contest last year to cutting off a woman’s finger as part of a ritual to honour a fellow rap music fan. Source
  • B.C. father of two charged with killing his wife

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    A Burnaby man has been charged with second-degree murder in the death of his wife, the mother of his two children. Parveen Maan, 47, was arrested Thursday after Burnaby RCMP discovered the body of his 45-year-old wife, Parveen Kumari Maan, inside their home in the 7900 block of 18th Avenue. Source
  • 2 more men charged in shooting death of toddler in Chicago

    World News Toronto Sun
    CHICAGO — Two more men have been charged in a Chicago shooting that killed two people, including a toddler, and wounded a pregnant woman. Authorities say Dionel Harris and Jeremy Ellis, both 19 and from Chicago, were charged Friday with first-degree-murder and attempted murder in a shooting on Valentine’s Day that killed 2-year-old Lavontay White and Lavontay’s uncle, 26-year-old Lazaric Collins. Source
  • Search for murder suspect, 6-year-old daughter ends in crash

    World News Toronto Sun
    BRIDGEPORT, Conn. — A missing 6-year-old Connecticut girl was found in Pennsylvania on Friday following a high-speed car chase and crash that involved a car driven by her father, who’s suspected in her mother’s killing, authorities said. Source
  • Conservative leadership candidates attempt deeper dive into policy at debate

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    OTTAWA — Candidates for leadership of the federal Conservative party went four rounds Friday in a debate aimed at providing an opportunity for a deep dive into policy. But the cut-and-thrust of politics remained on display even as the format of having 14 people on stage at once was dissolved into smaller groups of candidates debating specific policy themes, one group at a time. Source
  • Guatemala orders expulsion of abortion ship, crew

    World News Toronto Sun
    GUATEMALA CITY — Guatemala’s immigration office on Friday ordered the expulsion of a ship run by a Dutch non-profit organization that performs free abortions onboard in international waters. The office said in a statement that it was also expelling the crew of the ship operated by Women on Waves, which travels the globe offering abortion services to women in countries where the procedure is illegal. Source
  • Jeep buried in sand dune for 40 years is finally unearthed

    World News Toronto Sun
    TRURO, Mass. — A Jeep buried in sand in Massachusetts 40 years ago has finally been dug out. Work crews early Friday pulled out the rusted remnants of what John Munsnuff says was once his family’s “beach buggy” at the home they’ve long owned near Ballston Beach in Cape Cod. Source
  • Ex-sheriff with Alzheimer’s faces trial on corruption counts

    World News Toronto Sun
    LOS ANGELES — Former Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca went on trial on federal corruption charges Friday stripped of a ceremonial badge and unable to present a defence that might have won him sympathy if jurors knew he was in the early stage of Alzheimer’s disease. Source