Pope urges Catholics not to allow executions during 'Year of Mercy'

VATICAN CITY -- Pope Francis on Sunday urged Catholic leaders to show "exemplary" courage by not allowing executions this year, while expressing hope that eventually the death penalty will be abolished worldwide.

See Full Article

Francis told tourists and pilgrims in St. Peter's Square that "the commandment 'do not kill' holds absolute value and applies to both the innocent and the guilty."

He added that there is "an ever more widespread opposition in public opinion to the death penalty, even only as an instrument of legitimate social defence."

"I appeal to the conscience of those who govern so that international consensus is reached for the abolishment of the death penalty," the pope said. "And I propose to all those among them who are Catholic to make a courageous and exemplary gesture: may no execution sentence be carried out in this Holy Year of Mercy."

Francis is using the church's Holy Year, which runs through Nov. 20, to encourage efforts for more reconciliation and mercy in the world.

The pope is building on church teaching, laid out by St. John Paul II, that there's no justification for capital punishment.

"In effect, modern societies have the possibility to efficiently repress crime without taking away definitely the possibility to redeem oneself from those who committed" the crime, Francis said.

The pope said "even criminals hold the inviolable right to life" given by God.

Francis called on all Christians and all those of good will to work not only to abolish capital punishment but also to improve prison conditions.

From the start of his papacy, he has expressed concern that inmates in jails and prisons should be treated with dignity. He has often visited prisons during his trips throughout Italy and abroad, including last week while in the border city of Ciudad Juarez, Mexico.

While the pope insists he doesn't interfere in the political sphere, he has also made clear people must follow what he calls a "well-informed" conscience, and that local bishops can give guidance to Catholics, including voters, on political issues.


Latest Canada & World News

  • Ontario man died in agony after nursing home neglected bed sore, lawsuit alleges

    Canada News CTV News
    A 68-year-old man spent his last days in agony after a Toronto nursing home neglected to treat a massive, oozing bed sore on his behind, a planned class-action lawsuit alleges. The lawsuit against Revera Nursing Homes, one of the biggest long-term care companies in Canada, alleges that Arthur Ross Jones did not receive proper care and was often neglected by nursing home staff. Source
  • Finance Minister Morneau to deliver economic update on Nov. 1

    Canada News CBC News
    Finance Minister Bill Morneau is to deliver his fall economic update to the House of Commons on Nov. 1. These updates typically contain little more than fresh economic and fiscal projections, although in the past they have included budgetary measures. Source
  • Man convicted of biting off fellow mourner’s nose at drunken Nova Scotia wake

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    PICTOU, N.S. — A Nova Scotia judge has convicted a man of aggravated assault for biting off part of a fellow mourner’s nose in a drunken brawl at a wake. Judge Del Atwood found Randall Edwin MacLean guilty of aggravated assault, but made it clear many people behaved badly at the 2014 wake in downtown Pictou, N.S. Source
  • Quebec Court of Appeal rules Montreal can appeal judgment on pit bulls

    Canada News CTV News
    MONTREAL -- The City of Montreal has been granted permission to appeal a lower court ruling that suspended its controversial pit bull restrictions. Quebec's top court will allow the city to present arguments Nov. Source
  • Woman facing deportation issues plea to stay in country she considers home

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    HALIFAX — A 33-year-old woman facing deportation to the U.K. pleaded Thursday to be allowed to stay in the country she considers home, a day before a hearing that may shed light on her fate. Propped up in a hospital bed as she recovers from surgery, Fliss Cramman said she is terrified of being sent back to England, where she was born but left with her family at the age of eight. Source
  • Breaking Bad fanatic killed cop, dissolved body in acid after Grindr meet: Prosecution

    World News Toronto Sun
    A man “obsessed” with Breaking Bad allegedly strangled a cop then got rid of his body in an acid bath after inviting him to a “hot, dirty, sleazy” sex party. A British court was told that Italian Stefano Brizzi, 50, met PC Gordon Semple, 59, on gay dating app Grindr. Source
  • Half-mile ice cream sundae sets record in Michigan

    World News Toronto Sun
    LUDINGTON, Mich. — Guinness World Records says a roughly half-mile-long ice cream sundae that was gobbled up in Michigan this June was the longest ever. The Ludington Daily News reports that the sundae measuring a little over 2,970 feet in length and fed thousands of people lining eight blocks in the Lake Michigan town. Source
  • Tech issues mean no online literacy test for Ont. high school students

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Tens of thousands of Ontario high school students were unable to take their first online literacy test Thursday because of widespread technical issues. The Education Quality and Accountability Office pulled the plug on the "voluntary" online test for which most of the province's 900 secondary schools had signed up Online literacy test cancelled in Ontario due to widespread technical issueso participate. Source
  • Construction must begin on road after isolated reserve's ferry breaks down: chief

    Canada News CTV News
    SHOAL LAKE, Man. -- The chief of an isolated reserve under one of Canada's longest boil-water advisories says construction on a road linking his community to the outside world must begin now. Shoal Lake 40 First Nation straddles the Ontario-Manitoba boundary and was cut off from the mainland a century ago to build an aqueduct which supplies fresh water to Winnipeg. Source
  • Judge calls for changes to pool supervision after boy drowns

    Canada News CTV News
    EDMONTON -- An Edmonton judge says more changes are needed to protect children in swimming pools following the death of a seven-year-old boy. A fatality inquiry report says there have been several improvements based on earlier investigations into the drowning at O'Leary Leisure Centre in July 2012. Source