6 dead in protests over caste benefits in northern India

NEW DELHI -- Hundreds of army and paramilitary soldiers on Saturday tried to quell protests by angry mobs demanding government benefits in a northern Indian state, with at least six people killed in clashes between security forces and protesters, officials said.

See Full Article

The violence raged for a second straight day, as protesters burned several railroad stations and attacked shops and vehicles in several towns in Haryana state, said police officer Y.P. Singhal.

Protesters also blocked highways linking New Delhi to key northern cities, he said, adding that authorities ordered police to fire without warning at those instigating violence.

The protesters are members of the lower-caste Jat agricultural community, who are demanding benefits both at the federal and state levels, including guaranteed government jobs or university spots. Talks Friday between community leaders and state government representatives failed to lead to an agreement.

Authorities used helicopters to bring in army soldiers to the worst-hit districts of Rohtak, Bhiwani and Jhajjar, where curfews were in place, Singhal said. Five more towns were put under curfew later Saturday to prevent the violence from spreading.

Four people were killed in clashes between security forces and protesters, said Federal Rural Development Minister Chaudhary Birender Singh. Police said at least 78 other people have been injured since Friday.

The Press Trust of India news agency quoted a Haryana state government statement as saying that two more protesters were killed when security forces fired at them at they tried to torch some vehicles and shops in the state.

The statement said the protesters also fired at security forces and attacked them with sticks and stones on Saturday.

Press Trust said five protesters were fatally shot by security forces on Saturday and one on Friday.

India's constitution includes a system of affirmative action for people in the lowest castes to help them overcome discrimination. The government has expanded the number of groups, including the Jat, qualifying for quotas.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Gunmen attack Coptic Christians in Egypt

    World News CBC News
    Gunmen attacked a bus carrying a group of Coptic Christians in Egypt on Friday, killing a number of them, eyewitnesses said. Early reports put the death toll between 10 and 23. The governor of Minya province, where the attack occurred, said another 25 had been injured. Source
  • Manchester tattoo parlours buzzing as people commemorate attack with ink

    World News CBC News
    The Mancunian bee: striped and winged, of course, and rather simply drawn in black ink. The worker bee has been the symbol of Manchester for nearly 200 years. This past week it was picked up and dusted off by a city racked with grief, becoming one of the most unexpected and potent symbols of defiance in the wake of the attack that shook this city to its core Monday, when 22 people, including several children, were killed by a suspected suicide bomber at a packed Ariana Grande concert. Source
  • 3 questions about Trump's push for a probe into Manchester leaks

    World News CBC News
    U.S. President Donald Trump has called leaks to U.S. media about the Manchester bombing investigation "deeply troubling" and vowed to find out what happened. Responding to British Prime Minister Theresa May's outrage over a New York Times story publishing forensic photos of the crime scene, Trump said the leaks were a "grave threat to our national security. Source
  • Free trade, climate among issues on Trudeau agenda at G7 summit in Italy

    World News CBC News
    Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland says Canada will champion the benefits of free trade and action on climate change at the G7 Summit in Taormina, Sicily, even as U.S. President Donald Trump tries to steer the world in another direction. Source
  • U.K. police arrest 9th man in concert bombing investigation

    World News CBC News
    British police investigating the Manchester Arena bombing have arrested a ninth man while continuing to search addresses associated with the bomber who killed 22 concert-goers. Eight other men are in custody in connection with Monday's atrocity, with police and security agencies working to prevent further attacks. Source
  • Philippines says foreigners among ISIS-linked gunmen fighting government troops

    World News CBC News
    Foreign fighters are among the militants linked to the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria group who are battling government troops in the southern Philippines, an official said Friday. Solicitor General Jose Calida said Indonesians and Malaysians are fighting alongside the gunmen who attacked Marawi, a city of some 200,000 people on Mindanao island. Source
  • Republican wins U.S. election race 1 day after being charged with assault

    World News CBC News
    Republican multimillionaire Greg Gianforte won Montana's only U.S. House seat on Thursday despite being charged a day earlier with assault after witnesses said he grabbed a reporter by the neck and threw him to the ground. Source
  • Republican wins U.S. election 1 day after being charged with assault

    World News CBC News
    Republican multimillionaire Greg Gianforte won Montana's only U.S. House seat on Thursday despite being charged a day earlier with assault after witnesses said he grabbed a reporter by the neck and threw him to the ground. Source
  • Greg Gianforte wins U.S. House race day after charged with assault

    World News Toronto Sun
    BOZEMAN, Mont. — Republican multimillionaire Greg Gianforte won Montana’s only U.S. House seat on Thursday despite being charged a day earlier with assault after witnesses said he grabbed a reporter by the neck and threw him to the ground. Source
  • $95.6M awarded to Philadelphia building collapse survivor who suffered a 'guillotine amputation'

    World News Toronto Sun
    PHILADELPHIA — An arbitrator has awarded $95.6 million to a Ukrainian immigrant who was seriously injured in a 2013 Philadelphia building collapse. Mariya Plekan’s attorney, Andrew Stern, announced the division of the $227 million settlement on Thursday. Source