Serbian hostages believed dead after U.S. airstrike in Libya

BELGRADE, Serbia -- Two Serbian embassy staffers held hostage since November are believed to have been killed in Friday's U.S.

See Full Article

airstrikes on an Islamic State camp in western Libya, Serbia's foreign minister said Saturday.

Minister Ivica Dacic identified the two as Sladjana Stankovic, a communications officer, and Jovica Stepic, a driver. They were snatched in November after their diplomatic convoy, including the ambassador, came under fire near the coastal Libyan city of Sabratha.

Speaking at a news conference in Belgrade, Dacic said information about the deaths was given to Serbia by foreign officials but had not yet been confirmed by the Libyan government.

"We got the information, including photos, which clearly show that this is most probably true," Dacic said.

American F-15E fighter-bombers on Friday struck an Islamic State training camp in rural Libya near the Tunisian border, killing dozens, probably including an IS operative considered responsible for deadly attacks in Tunisia last year, U.S. and local officials said.

Dacic said Serbia had known where the hostages were and had been working to get them back, adding that Libyan troops were considering an operation to free them.

"I believe we had been close to the solution for them to be freed. Unfortunately, as a consequence of the attack against ISIS in Libya, the two of them lost their lives," Dacic said. "We will seek official explanation from both Libya and the United States about the available facts and the selection of targets."

He said, according to the information received by the Serbian security services, a criminal group that had demanded ransom and was believed to be linked to IS had been holding the hostages at the site that was bombed.

"On the other hand, the American administration said it was an (ISIS) training camp," Dacic said. "This is information that has to be checked."

A Libyan armed group calling itself the Special Deterrent Forces announced on Facebook that the two bodies had been delivered to Tripoli's Matiga Airport. The group posted pictures showing two green coffins inside a hearse, and another of one of the coffins sitting on a tarmac next to a small plane.

The Special Deterrent Forces are loyal to the militia-backed government that now controls Tripoli. The group's posting did not indicate when the bodies would be flown to Serbia.

In November, gunmen in Libya crashed into a convoy of vehicles taking Serbia's ambassador to neighbouring Tunisia and then kidnapped the two embassy employees. Serbian ambassador Oliver Potezica, who escaped unharmed and was travelling in the three-vehicle convoy with his wife and two sons, later recounted the attack.

"The attack happened when one of the embassy cars was hit from behind. When the driver came out to check what happened, he was dragged into one of the attackers' cars," Potezica told Tanjug news agency.

Since the 2011 overthrow of Libya's longtime autocrat Moammar Gadhafi, the sprawling North African nation has fractured into warring camps backed by a loose array of militias, former rebels and tribes.

Libya's internationally recognized government has been forced out of the capital, Tripoli, and now operates out of the eastern cities of Tobruk and Bayda. Another government, backed by Islamist-affiliated militias known as Libya Dawn, controls Tripoli and much of western Libya. U.N.-brokered efforts to form a unity government continue to falter.

The chaos has provided fertile ground for Islamic extremist groups such as al-Qaida and the Islamic State group to flourish.

AP writers Jovana Gec, Ashraf Khalil and Maggie Michael contributed.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Johnny Depp sparks controversy with presidential assassination quip

    World News CBC News
    Johnny Depp has asked a crowd at the Glastonbury Festival when was the last time an actor assassinated a president. The remarks came during a segment Thursday in which Depp was speaking about U.S. President Donald Trump. Source
  • Man warns of barbecue brush dangers after metal bristle lodges in throat

    Canada News CTV News
    When Chester Poole sat down to devour a juicy burger straight off the barbecue recently, he was expecting to chomp down on the familiar taste of grilled meat. What he experienced instead, was a sharp pain in his throat and a trip to the emergency room. Source
  • Germany tells Turkey to back off after criticism of liberal Berlin mosque

    World News CTV News
    Seyran Ates, right, founder of the Ibn-Rushd-Goethe-Mosque preaches during the opening of the mosque in Berlin, Germany, Friday, June 16, 2017. (AP Photo/Michael Sohn) Source
  • Ontario man who won $22M plans to keep his job

    Canada News CTV News
    An Ottawa-area man who won $22 million in the lottery last week says he doesn’t plan to buy a new house or fancy car but will instead use the windfall to give back to his community. Source
  • Son of Russian spies regains Canadian citizenship

    Canada News CBC News
    The Toronto-born son of Russian spies has won a court battle to regain his Canadian citizenship after it was revoked by Ottawa. The long-awaited Federal Court of Appeal decision in Alexander Vavilov's favour is the latest twist in an intriguing espionage saga that spans continents and cultures. Source
  • Q&A: A look at U.S.-Canada border after airport stabbing

    Canada News CTV News
    DETROIT -- Authorities say a Canadian man from Tunisia crossed legally into the U.S. days before stabbing a police officer in the neck at a Michigan airport. The attack raises questions about security along the northern border, including what the process is for travellers and how many people are detained or denied entry. Source
  • Authorities charge alleged mosque attacker Darren Osborne with terrorism-related murder and attempted murder

    World News Toronto Sun
    LONDON — British authorities have charged 47-year-old Darren Osborne with terrorism-related murder and attempted murder in connection with the van attack on a crowd of Muslim worshippers near two north London mosques. London police had linked the death of a 51-year-old man to the mosque attack, saying he died of “multiple injuries” after a van plowed into worshippers at a time the area was busy with people spilling out of mosques following Ramadan prayers. Source
  • Turkey rejects Gulf Arab states' demands over its Qatar base

    World News CTV News
    DUBAI, United Arab Emirates -- Turkey on Friday rejected a key demand by several Arab states involved in a major dispute with Qatar, saying Ankara has no plans to shut down its military base in the small Gulf country. Source
  • Russia fires missiles from Mediterranean at ISIS in Syria

    World News CTV News
    MOSCOW -- Russia has fired cruise missiles from the Mediterranean Sea on positions of the Islamic State group in Syria, the Defence Ministry said on Friday, Moscow's latest show of strength in the conflict wracking the Mideast country. Source
  • Chinese parents alarmed by miniature crossbow craze

    World News CTV News
    BEIJING -- Powerful mini-crossbows that shoot toothpicks and needles are the new must-have toy for schoolkids across China -- and a nightmare for concerned parents and school officials. Several cities including Shenzhen and Qingdao have reportedly banned sales of the palm-sized contraptions, which sell for about US$1 and are powerful enough to puncture soda cans, apples and cardboard, depending on the projectile. Source