Egypt buries veteran diplomat Boutros-Ghali with top honours

CAIRO -- Egypt on Thursday laid to rest its veteran diplomat Boutros Boutros-Ghali, holding a funeral procession with top honours in the capital, Cairo, followed by a service at the nation's largest Coptic cathedral for the man who was the first U.N.

See Full Article

chief from Africa.

Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi led the procession, walking at the front of the cortege as a horse-drawn hearse carried Boutros-Ghali's flag-draped coffin. The head of Egypt's Coptic Church attended the service in Cairo, along with senior dignitaries.

Eulogizing Boutros-Ghali, the Coptic patriarch, Pope Tawadros II, said Egypt was bidding "farewell to this fine example in Egyptian life and in Egyptian history."

UNESCO chief Irina Bokova, Arab League Secretary-General Nabil Elaraby as well as his predecessor Amr Moussa and other Egyptian ministers and officials attended the service at the Coptic Cathedral in the Abbassia district in Cairo.

Boutros-Ghali, who died on Tuesday at the age of 93, helped negotiate Egypt's landmark peace deal with Israel but then clashed with the United States when he served a single term as U.N. secretary-general.

The scion of a prominent Egyptian Christian political family, he was the first U.N. chief from the African continent, stepping into the post in 1992 at a time of dramatic world changes, with the collapse of the Soviet Union, the end of the Cold War and the beginning of a unipolar era dominated by the United States.

His five years at the world body's helm remain controversial. He worked to establish the U.N.'s independence, particularly from the United States, at a time when the United Nations was increasingly called on to step into crises with peacekeeping forces, with limited resources.

Some blame him for misjudgments in the failures to prevent genocides in Africa and the Balkans and mismanagement of reform in the world body.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • No suitors step up for stake in pipeline as Kinder Morgan deadline looms

    Canada News CBC News
    Just over a week remains until the May 31 deadline for abandoning Kinder Morgan Canada's Trans Mountain pipeline expansion, and no suitors have publicly emerged to step into the builder's shoes. Analysts and observers say they remain perplexed by Finance Minister Bill Morneau's comment last week that "plenty of investors would be interested in taking on this project," after the federal government said it would offer an "indemnity" or insurance to guarantee it is built. Source
  • North Korea nuclear site trip for foreign journalists underway

    World News CBC News
    International journalists left on a marathon journey to a North Korean nuclear test site on Wednesday, after Pyongyang belatedly cleared a number of South Korean media to witness what it says will be the dismantling of its only nuclear test facility. Source
  • SCC to hear case that pits journalists against police, prosecutors

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO - Canada's highest court is set to hear a closely-watched case today that pits journalists against police and prosecutors. Vice Media plans to urge the Supreme Court of Canada to overturn a ruling that reporter Ben Makuch give the RCMP materials related to interviews he did with an accused terrorist. Source
  • U.S. employee in China reported strange sounds, pressure

    World News CTV News
    BEIJING -- A U.S. government employee in southern China reported abnormal sensations of sound and pressure, the State Department said Wednesday, recalling similar experiences among American diplomats in Cuba who later fell ill. In an emailed notice to American citizens in China, the department said it wasn't currently known what caused the symptoms in the city of Guangzhou, where an American consulate is located. Source
  • Senators bow to will of elected government on transport modernization bill

    Canada News CBC News
    The Senate has bowed to the will of the Trudeau government on an omnibus transportation modernization bill. Senators voted 41-31 Tuesday to drop their insistence on amendments to Bill C-49 — which, among other things, is aimed at preventing rail shipments of grain from getting backlogged again. Source
  • Safety alert in Toronto after apparent random stabbing attack

    Canada News CTV News
    Toronto police are warning the public after a man allegedly attacked two teenagers with a knife in what is believed to be a random assault.Visit CTV Toronto for more details on the case The 15-year-old boys were walking in the area of Jaguar Street and Meandering Trail in Scarborough, just east of Toronto, on Tuesday afternoon when the incident occurred. Source
  • Videos of two shrieking lynx posted by Ontario man and his girlfriend go viral

    Canada News CTV News
    An Ontario man who shot a viral video of two lynx shrieking in each other's faces says he's no stranger to the animals, but was shocked by what he saw. "I knew right away it was going to be a rare, special capture," said Ed Trist, who lives in northern Ontario. Source
  • 2 Ebola patients who escaped quarantine in Congo are found dead

    World News CBC News
    Two of three Ebola patients who escaped quarantine in the Congo river port city of Mbandaka have died, the head of medical charity Doctors Without Borders's (Médecins Sans Frontières) mission in the city said Wednesday. The third patient was found alive and is under observation by MSF and the World Health Organization, Henri Gray said. Source
  • City looks for answers after zombie alert sent to residents

    World News CTV News
    LAKE WORTH, Fla. - Officials say they still don't who sent a "zombie alert" to residents of a Florida city following a power outage. Lake Worth spokesman Ben Kerr says an independent investigation is underway to determine who was behind the message sent to some 7,880 customers during a 27-minute power outage Sunday. Source
  • G7 and European Union unite to reject recent election in Venezuela

    World News CTV News
    OTTAWA -- Canada and its fellow G7 countries along with the European Union issued a joint statement today saying they are united in rejecting and denouncing the recent presidential election in Venezuela. The May 20 election of Nicolas Maduro has already attracted widespread condemnation, with Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland earlier calling the vote "illegitimate and anti-democratic. Source